Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #1

Red face Our First Motorhome

After forty years of pull-arounds from various manufacturers, we decided to try a motorhome. We were getting older and felt a motorhome would be more convenient, (My wife would not even attempt to drive with the travel trailers). To start, we didn't want to spring for the cost of a new one, so we watched and watched and finally bid on e-bay for a 3100 listed by a dealer in Dover Pa.
Surprisingly, we won and even got a very good price! We flew from central Texas to central Pennsylvania and drove it back. It needed a lot of little things as it had been a rental unit (not disclosed by the dealer until we got there), but the mechanicals had been well maintained, everything worked, so overall we were and still are, very pleased. We camp monthly with a Good Sam's club and have even taken a vacation trip to Colorado. So far it has met our expectations, my wife can even drive it!! Any suggestions for preventative maintenance, accessories or modifications would be greatly appreciated!!
edcaroleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #2

Don't have any specific suggestions for your motorhome (I'm pretty new to travel trailer ownership) but would like to congratulate you on your purchase, and welcome you to the Forest River Forums!

Looked up the 3100 on the web.
Is it a Ford? 6.8L gas engine?
Just curious.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
You may be tempted to set the cruise control...and go back to pee. My advice would be to resist that urge!

Have fun, and

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Yes, it's a Ford 6.8l V-10.
Thanks for the welcome and the question!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #5

I have thought about that, but I can't get my wife to hold the wheel!!! Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Welcome to FRF. I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor - it can be a real asset around here.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

to FRF!!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcaroleg View Post
After forty years of pull-arounds from various manufacturers, we decided to try a motorhome. We were getting older and felt a motorhome would be more convenient, (My wife would not even attempt to drive with the travel trailers). To start, we didn't want to spring for the cost of a new one, so we watched and watched and finally bid on e-bay for a 3100 listed by a dealer in Dover Pa.
Surprisingly, we won and even got a very good price! We flew from central Texas to central Pennsylvania and drove it back. It needed a lot of little things as it had been a rental unit (not disclosed by the dealer until we got there), but the mechanicals had been well maintained, everything worked, so overall we were and still are, very pleased. We camp monthly with a Good Sam's club and have even taken a vacation trip to Colorado. So far it has met our expectations, my wife can even drive it!! Any suggestions for preventative maintenance, accessories or modifications would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi there, I also purchased a new to me, 2003 Sunseeker 3100 with a Ford V10. Could you please tell me what is the valve located in the opposite side of the gray/black valves. Is that valve to empty the sink and shower? On full hook up camping, do you keep that lonely valve open and the gray valve closed until is time to dump? When I purchased this coach, I did not get any manuals with it. I contacted Forest River and they mailed me a basic manual that does not give you any information for the 3100.
Thanks.
wengerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #9

Question Shower Valve

Hello,
Thanks for the question. As far as I can tell, the valve on the passenger side of the coach is for the "gray" tank. Downstream from that valve, its output is combined with the output from the "galley" (kitchen sink and possibly the bathroom sink) tank and the combined output is controlled by a valve on the right side of the sewer outlet. Input to the "gray" tank is from the shower and possibly the bathroom sink (I'm not really sure), but I don't see any reason to close that valve. All of the gray water can be controlled by the valve next to the sewer outlet so that it is only necessary to operate the two valves (gray and black), when dumping and cleaning the tanks.

I know what you mean about the info packet Forest River sends. A ton of stuff but I can't find the answers to my questions. The dealer didn't know beans. They deal primarily in travel trailers. Do you know if the converter charges the engine battery as well as the coach batteries when you are plugged into shore power?

Thanks,
Ed G.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #10

I was told by the RV dealer that the shore plug will charge both batteries.
wengerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #11

We are members of Frontier Sams in Texas and looking forward to our first trip in the new 2008 Lex GTS 26 ft. Would like to hear from you about your experiences
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I can help as far as the extra valves go... when travelling, the extra weight of water in the drain lines creates a stress on joints, connections and the hangers. Closing the one closest to the tank first when you empty leaves the drain lines empty and therefore lighter on all those parts. Otherwise these extra knife valves are redundant.

Not having any experience with motorhomes, I can't help on charging systems, etc. But there is no shortage of good folks here and in campgrounds around the country that will offer their advice on all that. Some tech articles in RV magazines would be a good resource as well, as would the Good Sams magazine.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker le