Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Owning a motorhome

I'll tell you it takes a special breed to own a motorhome. Is it me or are they built lousy. Every time we go out something is broke. First a slide quit then the counter extension screws striped, reading light falling down,
front of couch broke. And now generator
This is after having it fully serviced.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Don't think I'll ever own one. I prefer trailers. When I do upgrade, it will be to a 5th wheel.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #3

Yea pretty much part of owning an rv is learning how to repair it. I couldn't imagine if I wasn't handy and able to do 95 percent of things myself. If your DIY challenged I would imagine owning an rv can be quite stressful.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #4

Seems like a one year old that's been out a dozen times should hold up better . anyway just fixed the generator. Elictrical 101 at least size wire properly
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Yea pretty much part of owning an rv is learning how to repair it. I couldn't imagine if I wasn't handy and able to do 95 percent of things myself. If your DIY challenged I would imagine owning an rv can be quite stressful.
Ditto! If I did the math in terms of how much I would have spent paying someone to fix the issues I've had it would have paid for another vacation somewhere. However, for us, the incentive to do-it-yourself was not so much the cost, but the time. The time it would take to drive it to a dealer, sit on the lot till they get a chance to figure out the problem, sit some more until the parts come in, sit some more until the have a chance to do the repairs, and then bring it back again for them to correct the repairs that were done incorrectly the first time is the real reason.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

If you look at most of the items listed as failing...slides, screws, lights, generator, etc.....

It doesn’t matter if it’s a motorhome or trailer including 5th wheels....
We’re talking about the problems with the “home” part of our RV units.
Quality control is in the hands of us....the buyers. I would also hazard to bet if we took our sticks and bricks home to repeated bumpy roads from sewer grates, frost heaves, bridge expansion plates, railway tracks....we’d be doing a lot of fixing there too.

I’m not a home builder, but I don’t believe drywall would survive very well either.

Just the nature of the beasts.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome