Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Park Cable connection to outside televisions

I have a Forester 2861 DSF Motorhome, this is the model with the outside kitchen that includes an outdoor television with it. When I first received the motorhome and connected to Park Cable all three Televisions could connect to the cable and perform a channel check on cable.
Due to some other issues the factory replaced the roof, the entire passenger side, and the cap over the cab (and many other changes too numerous to list here). Wonderful work and I am happy to have so many problems addressed at the factory. New issues cropped up as a result though, one being that the Park Cable connection did not work because the cable had been cut and not replaced. A local Dealership agreed to perform warranty work that was requested by the factory. The two inside televisions are said to have been connected but I cannot test since I do not have cable at my house, but their description of the repair states no outside Television connection since that's how it was designed.
Now the Dealership (through confirmation with the factory) says only the two inside Televisions should receive cable, and the outdoor Television should not as it was designed originally. The factory tells me I should have never been able to get the cable outside.

My question to the people of this Forum is "Does everyone else's Motorhome not have cable to their outside Television, or am I getting the run around?" Seems like I had artificial expectations set with the original configuration.

Thanks in advance for any insights that may be provided.

Roberta and Jim
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

2018 Forester 3051. Cable for the outside TV has always worked. Think about it...if the outside TV only worked on antenna then you would have to have the antenna amp button pushed (green light on). That would mean cable would not work on the inside sets.

Gotta say that in this case the factory rep is wrong (like that has never happened before??). Find someone at the factory that knows what’s going on. It’s not possible to find anyone there that is familiar with all the systems. Keep looking.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

On my 2017 2861DS, all three TVs work on cable. A coax comes from a splitter up front and goes to another splitter at the rear and outside TVs. The rear and outside TVs each have a wall plate to provide 12v and a coax connection, pull the wall plates off and see if the coax is not connected to the rear splitter.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies, I feel that I am getting the run around by the factory. They really messed up the repair work they did and now seem to want to cover up their bad work with making up original specifications. Their reply makes my motorhome pretty much useless to me for the reasons I bought it. I will never be able to tailgate and get Over the Air television on my outside set as it exists now.
When will life get easier with a new Motorhome purchase, one issue after another that cannot be addressed???
Old 10-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

I have a 2021 Cherokee w/ outside TV and there's a coax wall plate with satellite wallplate and power outlets near the TV. If you don't have it just run the cable to a splitter where it goes inside, then run one connection to the RV and another to the outside TV. But you're right...they don't put an outside TV without a way to connect to cable.
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #6

Not to hijack the post, It's been my experience 80% of all park cable don't ever work, if even available.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

I've been to several parks with cable & have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of channels and picture quality. Guess I went to the right places...
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Not to hijack the post, It's been my experience 80% of all park cable don't ever work, if even available.
Our experience has been the opposite. Now if you're talking about campground WiFi, then I would agree.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Our experience has been the opposite. Now if you're talking about campground WiFi, then I would agree.
X2.
Guess we've been lucky!
We have never stayed at a campground that had cable where it didn't work as described.

It did go out one place we stayed because someone got their air conditioning caught on the overhead wires that were hanging too low. Tore off the air conditioner and the cable wire.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

So everyone that actually does get cable. Do you have an outdoor television and can it receive the signal, or is the FR factory correct and no one should ever get cable on their outdoor televisions?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa77 View Post
So everyone that actually does get cable. Do you have an outdoor television and can it receive the signal, or is the FR factory correct and no one should ever get cable on their outdoor televisions?

Thanks for the help.
I don't have your model but yes, ALL 3 of my TVs get cable.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
A lot depends on make and model of RV.
My TT only got cable to the living room tv. I had to add a splitter to get cable to the bedroom tv. I've never tried the outside tv connection since we don't like the idea of outside tvs nor outside speakers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #13

I also do not have your model but since day one we have received cable on all three tv's in our 2014 sandpiper bought new in 2013. What I can't figure out is when we use OTA on the two exact same TV's inside the rig we some channels on one but not the other and even after re programing sometimes we lose stations but gain others. It's a head scratcher.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #14

Thanks for your opinion, but it seems like a lot of models do have outdoor televisions. I guess the manufacturers never thought this through very much.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #15

Volvodriver. I experience that as well. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me either. But the channels seem to fade out and I have to re-scan.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
I also do not have your model but since day one we have received cable on all three tv's in our 2014 sandpiper bought new in 2013. What I can't figure out is when we use OTA on the two exact same TV's inside the rig we some channels on one but not the other and even after re programing sometimes we lose stations but gain others. It's a head scratcher.

Dave
Quote:
Volvodriver. I experience that as well. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me either. But the channels seem to fade out and I have to re-scan.
OTA channel reception depends on many things.

First, depending on the make/model of your antenna (movable vs omnidirectional) the signals may not be captured well.

Second, terrain and atmospheric conditions play a role in reception. A good signal today may not be good next week.

Finally, each make/model of tv has a tuner that may or may not scan the channels equally.

While the move from analog frequencies to digital has improved the reception in some areas, in other rural geographic locations, it has hurt.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #17

Forgot to mention (maybe someone did and I missed it) if you want to watch cable on the outside TV the antenna amp button must be off (no green light).
Old 10-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #18

Quick update.

The factory still has not said what the true specifications are for outside cable. I have left my side of the discussion on voicemails, but the last I heard says that park cable should not work on outside television. Currently the over the air doesn’t work either and the local dealership has agreed to fix it still under warranty. But I would like a decision before I get the work done. So back to the phones again.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Commercial Member

JoePA77

there should be park cable running from a splitter to the outside TV. Do you have park cable to the bedroom TV?
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #20

Kary
I have been told I have park cable connected to the bedroom TV. The factory had cut the line when they replaced the roof and side of motorhome. The dealership tried to fix and claimed it should only work with the two inside TVs after speaking with the factory. I do not have cable at home to test it. But I cannot get OTA channels on outdoor television either. The dealership is going to fix the OTA, but I want the park cable to work as well, since it did before the factory repairs.

I feel if they can get the OTA connected successfully that the park cable will work as well. I just wanted the factory to tell them that all three should work the same.

Maybe I could ask the dealership to contact you when I take it back on Monday.

Thanks for your feedback

Tags
cable, television