Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Passengers watch DVD while traveling in 3011DS?

If I read this forum correctly the 2020 Forest River Forester 3011 does not come with a power inverter. The TV is 12v but is useless traveling down the highway. Watching a DVD would be great but no way to plug it in without running the generator.

Any suggestions (other than just run the generator)?
AttilaTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Do you have a 12vdc power source in your 3011 you can use to power an inverter?

I have a trailer and use a 400w inverter from Harbor Freight I use for my 110vac TV when I don't have shore power. I mounted it in the pass through storage compartment and have an extension cord to the TV.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...inverters.html

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

No DVD?

Are you saying that your in-house entertainment surround sound system has no DVD player or that it is 120v or both?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHog View Post
If I read this forum correctly the 2020 Forest River Forester 3011 does not come with a power inverter. The TV is 12v but is useless traveling down the highway. Watching a DVD would be great but no way to plug it in without running the generator.

The TV should be DC powered not AC so it should always have DC power as long as the DC cutoff switch is ON. We've had several trips were folks in the back were watching a DVD on the Jensen TV using the Jensen House DVD/Radio unit. Are you trying to play the DVD using the dash or house system?

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

I am trying to play a DVD on the in-house system not the dash. The TV is 12 V and I brought a DVD player from home that can plug-in to a standard outlet. However those outlets have no power unless I am running the generator or connected to shore power.

I need a way to run that standard outlet powered by the battery. I am just finding out today that my RV doesn’t have a built-in inverter apparently.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

And just for clarity my motorhome does not have the over the cab entertainment system. Just the TV mounted above the kitchen counter.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

What brand of in-house system do you have?
Is it not working?
Does it have a DVD player built in?
While parked, does the in-house unit work?
If it does.....it’s DC powered.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
And just for clarity my motorhome does not have the over the cab entertainment system. Just the TV mounted above the kitchen counter.
So, why are you not just using the generator?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Neither does mine. The 3011 is supposed to have in-house surround sound standard. My Jensen is over the door. Pop a DVD in and it turns the TV on via HDMI-ARC. All 12v
Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

The OP has a 120V DVD player. NO inverter in the MH. The TV is 12V. so his options are ? Get an inverter to run the DVD player or fire up the generator when going down the road.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #11

My 2020 Sunseeker has a 2019 interior. The TV runs on 12 volts, and the house entertainment system (Jensen) runs on 12 volts. A passenger could watch the TV with a DVD put in the Jensen unit while the motorhome is driven down the highway, just like Duckogram said.

The later 2020 Sunseeker models then switched to a different house radio that appeared to have no DVD slot. That, along with the fact that the OP has a Forester with which I am unfamiliar leaves me with no other advice except to say that it works in my Sunseeker.

Is the TV in the 2020 Forester 12 volt, and is there a way to play a DVD on that TV? Do you play the DVD through the in dash head unit?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

My 3011 does not have a Jensen system. Mine is a Connex and it does not have a DVD built-in. There is no place in my entertainment area for a DVD at all. That is why I brought my 120 V DVD player from home.

Sounds like I may be forced to upgrade my in-house system.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #13

You can get a 250-400 watt pure sine wave inverter for under $50. It will easily power your dvd.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
My 3011 does not have a Jensen system. Mine is a Connex and it does not have a DVD built-in. There is no place in my entertainment area for a DVD at all. That is why I brought my 120 V DVD player from home.

That’s what it sounds like.

While this following comment is no help to you, I’m sure glad I got the 2019 interior, before Forest River took away the DVD player, the oven, the propane refrigerator, the range hood, and almost half of the ceiling lights. Newer models seem to be going backwards in terms of features and usability.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:

How about a USB or HDMI 12v Blu-Ray. They are small and cheap.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

How about one of these inverters for your DVD player then?
Wouldn’t this solve your problem?

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-wa...ter-56574.html

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #17

I think you may be right.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:15 AM   #18

Quote:

The earlier reply from BehindBars is spot-on.

We have the *exact* same year, make and model motorhome as yours with identical equipment. The tv and Jensen entertainment unit (which has a built-in DVD player prewired to the TV) both operate on 12 volts. Our family happily watches DVD videos on almost every trip with no generator use. You do not need to use an external DVD player or install an inverter.

Please consult someone at a nearby RV dealer and ask them to demo how it works. You’ll be happy and have saved a needless large expense.

Best wishes!

Mr Brian
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brian View Post
The earlier reply from BehindBars is spot-on.

We have the *exact* same year, make and model motorhome as yours with identical equipment. The tv and Jensen entertainment unit (which has a built-in DVD player prewired to the TV) both operate on 12 volts. Our family happily watches DVD videos on almost every trip with no generator use. You do not need to use an external DVD player or install an inverter.

Please consult someone at a nearby RV dealer and ask them to demo how it works. You’ll be happy and have saved a needless large expense.

Best wishes!

Mr Brian
See OP’s post #12 stating that there is no standard equipment DVD player. The problem is that even though you have the exact same year, make, and model as OP, during the course of 2020 model year production, Forest River changed the entertainment unit from a Jensen to a Connex unit. The Connex has no DVD slot.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Change to Tech

Maybe, just maybe, they changed to Connex to integrate the entertainment system into the One Control. If that is the case,

Maybe, just maybe, they installed the Connex WMSMCZ3H instead of the Connex WMSDVDZ3 which has the DVD player.

Inquiring minds would send Kary Katzenberg a PM with the last six of your VIN and request him to look into that. Just a suggestion.

Tags
dvd, travel