Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Picking up my 2017 3170DS tomorrow

Well, the day is finally here. The new coach comes home tomorrow. The family is so excited it's crazy. Looking forward to some great times together.

Question:
What should I pay particular attention to on my walk through / orientation (besides everything)?
Are there any key areas you would suggest? Is there anything you wish you had payed closer attention to on your delivery?
I want to be thorough and not let the excitement and anticipation get the better of me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.
I'm encouraged by what I hope is an early positive indicator as to the attention to detail during tech inspection today. They called and said they found a sun shade in the bunkhouse that they felt didn't operate properly. Left the current one in place and a new one is already on its way to my home. They didn't want me to be surprised tomorrow.
BigPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Of course, lots of relatively small stuff that isn't disasterous. As all will say, "check everything and don't close the deal until everything is resolved".
Having said that, the two things I should have paid more attention to -
1) Tire pressure and valve stem extensions. Dealer said they checked and set. I should have checked myself. The rear outer valve stem extensions did not allow checking pressure or adding air as installed. Believe the dealer set the pressure in the extensions (not in the tires) resulting in the outer tires 20 psi below where the dealer set the inners.
2) Slideout. Exercise it (in and out) repeatedly, insist that it operate smoothly and without "hitch". Mine seemed "cranky" when I first saw the coach. Told "batteries low". A month later, at PDI, told "new batteries". Slideout still seemed cranky. Told "needs lube". I bought lube in the dealer's store, tech "lubed" the slideout. Seemed somewhat better, but still "slow". Told normal. I accepted. About five activations later, slideout failed catastrophically with the slideout motor mount breaking off the frame. I should have climbed under the coach while the slideout was being activated during PDI and personally observed - I'm sure I would have seen the motor moving and the motor mount bending during activation.

Several other issues came up, but these two were the "big ones" I actually highlighted at PDI but still got caught with.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #3

I agree with the tire stem issue.
There were no stem extensions on my inner duel wheels making pressure check and service about impossible.Dealer was clueless and sent me flexible extensions that were worthless to me.Some don't like them but I installed the braided extensions that are riveted to the wheel simulator (chrome hub cap) I check my pressure EVERY time I drive her so these are a must for Me.
Don't know if FR ever addressed the front end alignment issues (Ford) that were common with '13,'14,'15 (no one replied to my post on this issue so I'm guessing it's not an issue anymore.Drive it and see if she tracks straight my pulled hard right but
I didn't know any better and by the time I got familiar with this site and realized I had a problem I missed my opportunity to have it payed for under warranty
My dealer knew nothing about the rear air ride suspension. I had to learn EVERY Thing about that system on this site.These bags need air in them and driving with them empty I'm told will damage them.Mine leak down over a week or two and I always wonder if I damaged them driving the unit with little or no air in them.I live with it cause they hold air for the length of our average trip and we carry a little air compressor with us.
Dealer knew little about the dash entertainment unit. Again I learned on this site that We had a subwoofer under the dinette (that I realized wasn't working) so I was curious and unscrewed the bench just to find out the master volume knob on back of woofer was turned all the way down.We listened to this radio for 12 months with no bass and again didn't know better.Again some will say it's not important and have even taken it out,but I love music and we watch movies and if the woofer is adjusted properly it makes a big difference.
You payed for it you might as well enjoy it.
Make sure the House battery's are in good shape FR was using some junk batteries that I had to replace in less than a year and what makes this such a big deal is so many problems can pop up and drive you crazy if these batteries aren't holding a charge and you will be on this site trouble shooting these problems only to find out you have bad batteries
Have Fun with the new Coach
Now that We have ours the way we want it we really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Class C Representative

If you feel like you don't understand something ask more questions about it. Then after you get it home or to a near by campground try using the entire coach on your own!
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Joshua, is filling the water tank, checking for leaks and water pressure and operation of the water heater too much asked for during a PDI?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Trdutch FR doesn't supply batteries your dealer does. . And from the sound of your post I would be upset with the dealer. . It sounds like they don't know as much as a newbie who has owned a coach for less than a year. . This is what the dealer does for a living. . They should know basic RVs and certainly understand the product they sell. . Glad your enjoying your unit. . You will learn more every day about your RV it's all part of the experience. . Congratulations..
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

There are some good RV inspection checklists on this site and others. I suggest printing one, looking it over and taking it with you.

Sometimes the dealer guys doing the inspection with you don't know as much as you, unfortunately.

Make sure you run and test EVERYTHING,both on shore power as well as generator power.

Get up on the roof if you can and look closely for any signs of obvious defect.

Look closely at all ceilings for any signs of leaks.

Drive it including on a nearby interstate if possible and get it up to over 60 to confirm it drives well.

Look underneath it to make sure nothing appears damaged.

Make sure they provide you with all manuals and remotes. Mine was missing the remote for the cockpit dashboard Jensen audio (which my dealer actually ordered before I noticed).

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Class C Representative

We do provide the batteries. They are generic 27 group batteries.

The standard for your PDI is entirely decided by you.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
We do provide the batteries. They are generic 27 group batteries.

The standard for your PDI is entirely decided by you.
Thanks I thought the comment about the dealer providing them was false.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Check radio,tvs,GPS map updates, water filter, water pressure regulator,hoses, door locks,slide outs,awning, Go over fuses breakers battery's
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #11

See I learn something every day. Lol.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #12

My additional suggestions:

(1) Have a second person VIDEO the walk-through. Unless you are experienced with RV's, you will watch it many times! I know this was a helpful suggestion on my first one.
(2) Pay particular attention to the audio/video setup and how to change from one type of input to another (Over The Air to Cable to Satellite to DVD, etc.). It can be very confusing.
(3) Draining the holding tanks
(4) MUST SEE "RV, The Movie" staring Robin Williams
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #13

Bigpoppy How did everything go yesterday?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #14

Picking up my 2017 3170DS tomorrow

Thanks to everyone!
Everything went well. Couple minor adjustment type issues were found and corrected. Dealer owes me a new sunshade in the bunkhouse. Other than that, for the moment, all seems well.
She drove like a dream on the 200 mile trip home. Gives me great confidence that the wife will be able to handle her on some long trips or in case of emergency.
Sitting in the driveway, looking at manuals (discovering those new things that make you go "oh, cool") with the kids across from me having breakfast at the dinette. Last night my brother and I amused the neighbors ...had the awning out, LED's on outside, TV on and beers in hand.

I would be remiss, I didn't thank all those who not only contributed to this thread but to the forum as a whole. I was well very prepared from shopping and selecting to the walk through and PDI. My walk through was less than comprehensive but fortunately I was able to get what I needed out of it because of what I've learned spending hours reading threads here. Great community of helpful people. Again... THANKS!
BigPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #15

Congrats I know you'll love it. . I have a 2801 and mine also drives like a dream. .
Old 07-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #16

x2

x2 Congrats! ask anything as it occurs. First up, check the distance markings on your rear camera. We use clear dash line tape on our display from a brothers p touch to mark off the max turn arc when toading for when DW is at the helm.

added step light from amz
mr. beams MB723 Battery-Powered Motion-Sensing LED Stick-Anywhere Nightlight, 3-Pack

added exterior stinky slinky tube...

Have fun....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

One thing I wish I had them go over on pdi was how to manually extend and retract the slides. If they don't know how then make sure not to take the rig to them if you are having any issues with the slides. My dealers service is so bad I'm sure they would have been no help.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #18

Congrats and best of luck with your new 3170DS; we love ours!

Tags