Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

Pioneer radio screen HARD to see

Hello,

I tried several searches as I suspected others must have the same problem but I wasn’t able to locate any?

We have a forester 2401 W (purchased in 8/2016, but it was the first 2017 model - mid year change). The pioneer in dash was a change from the Jensen

Bottom line is it’s very difficult if not impossible to view the screen during the daytime, especially if wearing sunglasses!

I’ve tried looking in the manual to find a way to make the screen brighter but NO LUCK so far?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Never had a Pioneer unit, but our 2012 Solera as delivered with a Magnadyne unit always thought it was night - the sensor wire for day/night was wired to the lights. As the Sprinter uses the lights as day time running lights (therefore the headlights are always on, even during the day) the radio always switched to night (dim) mode. Solution was to disconnect the wire connected to the vehicle light wire.
When I switched to a Kenwood, I connected the light sense wire through a switch - so I could select a bright or a dim radio display (day or night).
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Thx - that makes sense. LOL, not that I have the mechanical abilities to change it, but possibly I could get someone else to do that!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Sprinter, the headlights are “on” when the light switch is turned either “on” or “off”. The headlights are not “on” in the center, parking light position (all the other lights are on, but the headlights are off). I don’t know if the light wire the radio senses is energized with the light switch in the “parking light” position. If not, that switch position might give you a bright (day setting) radio display.
If you choose to drive in the daytime with the switch in the parking light position instead of the “daytime running light” (switch off) position, be sure to turn the lights off when you park...
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
Site Team

We have the Pioneer. I went in to Settings and changed it to Daytime, all the time, and selected another Background. I also adjusted it to max brightness... That helps some as I drive with my lights on all the time time...

You have to be stopped, with the transmission in Park, with the Park Brake on, to adjust the setting for Daylight...
Old 08-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #6

I was stopped as it was parked in the shop, and I tried like heck to find the adjustments. There was an brightness option I found but the word was not hi-lighted, so you couldn't click on it to make anything happen?? I didn't however have the parking brake on.... I may take another try at this!

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #7

Tried it with the parking break - it worked!!

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #8

shchef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Hello,

I tried several searches as I suspected others must have the same problem but I wasn’t able to locate any?

We have a forester 2401 W (purchased in 8/2016, but it was the first 2017 model - mid year change). The pioneer in dash was a change from the Jensen

Bottom line is it’s very difficult if not impossible to view the screen during the daytime, especially if wearing sunglasses!

I’ve tried looking in the manual to find a way to make the screen brighter but NO LUCK so far?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
are your lights on I have the same on my 2017 forester and when lights are on it is very dimm
shchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

My issues were with daytime driving, and especially if I was wearing sunglasses. At night it's pretty good.

Tags
forester, radio