RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Planning for winter ski trip with dogs

Hello All,

I'm new here and have an intro thread in the Welcome Mat section. We just picked up the new SunSeeker and am trying to plan to take it winter camping with possible overnight stays and daily parking at ski area parking lots with no electrical hookup. I've done a bunch of searching but haven't found this specific issue.

Winter pipe freezing is one issue, but I'm not covering that here.

Trying to figure out the best way to keep the furnace running for 24-48 hours at a time without killing the batteries. We would be sleeping in the RV and also would keep two dogs inside during the day. Figure I'd like to keep the temp at 65 degrees or so. Plan on worst case 15 degree days and 0 degree nights. Mostly worried about leaving the dogs inside and having an issue with carbon monoxide or the furnace going out and freezing them if we were away for 4-6 hours.

I'm unsure how to figure out amp-hours and such to understand how long the furnace fan could run off of the dual batteries in the coach with no charging assist.

Here are some options that I'm considering and looking for opinions:
1. Plan on running the on-board generator every "X" hours to charge the batteries. I'm not sure what "X" needs to equal and how long I would need to charge for to keep it adequate to make it to the next charging time. I think I've read that the on-board converter is not the most efficient for charging, but I still haven't found what is the most efficient.

2. Run the on-board generator full time? Something just makes me nervous about that. Not sure why though. I'm not familiar with them, so just don't have any built-in confidence about reliability.

3. Get a portable Honda generator to run outside the RV. Will a 20 amp output be sufficient to run the furnace fan?

4. I do have some small solar panels used for my boat lift deep cycle battery. I'm not sure how much power they put out, but could bring them along for during the day. I'm guessing they can't keep up with the furnace fan draw, but it might be better than nothing.

Any other suggestions or concerns I'm not thinking of here? Also, should I post this elsewhere to get more views?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #2

Run the on board furnace at a comfortable temp and durning the day when you are away let the generator run and charge the batteries so that you won't need it all night. Generators are designed to run make sure your main fuel tank is more the 1/4 full.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, winter