Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
I followed the TT that had the "wing" slide into a rest area, and told the drive/owner what was happening. He said that he couldn't see th upper part of the slide in the mirror, so he had no idea.
GREAT photo that I shamelessly stole for the Herkbrary BTW. There is no way to give credit for my defalcatory ways... so thanks for keeping me straight.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The cable slides do not need them. They are made by NORCO and use a system that requires the motor to actually TURN to let the slide in or out.

Barring a cable break from frayed cables (you should inspect them periodically as a state safety inspection is not required to look at them) the slide will stay where you leave it.

The gearing of the motor puts the mechanical advantage on the side of the motor and not the slide. It would take 100 men and a boy to pull on that slide hard enough to turn that motor one revolution.

What EVER you do do NOT lose the tool for manually opening the slides. It connects to the motor and you attach it to a battery operated drill. You do HAVE one in your tool kit right?
herk, you better believe it I have an 18v Dewalt cordless drill in the camper, in my car/truck, in my garage and in my storage shede and as far as the tool for the slide outs I have one for each of the slide outs and they are in the camper in a safe place the good thing about the cables is that they are all in side of the camper and seem to be easy to get to and I will check the cables every time I operate the slide outs and by the way thanks for the up dated info.....this is something new to me with this type of slide out.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkklops View Post
when i got my travel trailer the dealer told me never to use them and just throw them away they said they had more damage from people using them then not
X2. I was told the same thing during the PDI on both trailers I've had with slide rooms.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #24

???? I guess Pumas don't come or have slide locks????? We had a 2006 and now a 2013. Neither one have them. I hate to be stupid but I had never heard of them. Our sons 2011 camper did come with them either.
Of course our older campers did not have slides
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never had a slide lock as well.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Never had a slide lock as well.
Turbs
Don't know what to tell you guys...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #27

Just a SWAG........maybe the Palomino line does not use the slide lock the Puma, Sabre, Columbus ???????
We do have a lippert frame though........ bet someone will let us know......

As far as state inspections each state is different Virginia will usually only check your lights & brakes at least in my area. & inspection is only for trailers over 1500 lbs with brakes
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #28

I'm in the don't-use-'em camp until (hopefully never) I have to go for a manual retract. Agree, at least on our 2690S, that you'd end up wedging them in against the seals. While we don't yet have mega-miles, so far we have had no creep even after some extended rough-road travel.

geri
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Mainly there for old hydraulic slides. If there was a leak, the slide could creep out. Rack and Pinion...its not going anywhere without juice.
Or unless a shear pin breaks.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #30

This is another one of those 'no-win' discussions.
It is a matter of personal preference.
Our Flagstaff came with them, so I use them.
Simple as that.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote