Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Portable Freezer

I have a 2014 3010 and I bought a 2.5 cu. ft. Dometic Portable freezer for my rear storage area. I had an inverter installed in the area also. I did not like the unit because it says in the directions and on the box you can use it for a fridge/freezer. Once we got on the road a portion of the freezer was a fridge so was limited how much freezer space I could use. I was wondering if anyone knew where and what type of freezer I could use that is strictly a freezer. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Huh? Have one that works great. Used it for 10 months this year. Yea, there is a small area that does not freeze, but there is ample room for several weeks worth of frozen stuff. In the non frozen area, just drop a loaf of bread the area will hold it for over a week easily.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
MC9

I have an Edgestar 12V or 110V. I just leave it on 12V. 1/2 the price of a Dometic.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

I will look into the Edgestar. How big is it and where did you purchase it?
The Dometic I had was over $900 and the fridge space took more of my freezer space then I wanted.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Compact Freezer

Look at Compactappliance.com. I got the Edgestar 1.1 cu ft. in their scratch and dent for $99. I have it mounted above passenger after removing the mattress and storage shelf. Keeps ice cream solid frozen.

J. V.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

burrr

For the last two years I have used a ice maker I got from overstock thatI put in the back bay. We use it as a freezer when we head out then switch over to ice operations when we park. It is bassically a small freezer with a standard ice maker in it....

NewAir Appliances Under Counter Ice Maker - Overstock™ Shopping - Big Discounts on Newair Appliances Freezers & Ice Machines
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
MC9

Our freezer must be the 63 qt. Pretty sure we got it from Compact Appliance. Ordered it from Dallas, it was shipped from N.C. got it the next day. It was cheaper 6yrs ago.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Freezer

Hello
I have used a Norcold freezer unit for 5 years. It is 12v or 110v. I took it to Alaska and all over the US, Works great and all we use it for is a freezer. When not traveling We keep it indoors at our place in Florida and use it for freezer storage as the house fridge has a small freezer. We also have a small Engle that we use as a fridge for drinks, it is also 12v or 110v ,and it also can be used as a freezer. Both have been trouble free and preform great.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Curious about your inverter setup. Where are your batteries located? Ours are under the stairs so we are trying to find best place to put an inverter.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Our Norcold runs off the 12v while on the road or when not hooked up to 110v, When you plug into 11ov it automatically switches over and runs off the 110V. We do not have to have an inverter with this unit, .
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote