Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Portable Satellite Hookup? 3051 w/3-TVs

I just purchased a 3150S and I'm confused about using my Wingard CarryOut Portable Satellite dish. I have three TVs in the Forester - over cab, bedroom and outside.

I see that the dish outlet connects on the outside of the RV to the Cable/Sat input on the back of the RV.

So, my question is, where do I pickup that Sat In to connect the Sat Receiver? Do I remove the coax from the TV Antenna/booster and connect there? And if so, I can't use the over the air antenna connection without changing the cabling from Sat to Ant -manually?

And, then I'm guessing I use the RF output from the Receiver and connect this coax to the middle connection between the two jumper coaxes. Is this correct?

Assuming that this is the case, then I suppose this would connect the bedroom and outdoor TVs but there would be no connection to the over cab TV and I'd use the HDMI from the Sat Receiver to supply signal to the over cab TV. Correct?

In my previous Travel trailer the Ant/Cable connection went to the main input on the only TV... but there was a separate SAT connection outside the trailer that feed the SAT receiver separately. That way, you could just change the source on the TV to move from Ant/Cable to Sat.

Here are the only TV connections in the over the cab area:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	81843  
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

I've reviewed the PDF for the various connections in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post904053 But it's still a bit confusing.

My dealer had no idea how to connect the SAT other than where to connect it on the outside of the coach.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

Go to satellite hookup post 3-31-2015 30th post on that I will tell you exactly how to do it people helped me thru I did 2015 3050 s 3 TV one receiver all work very well

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Satellite in under sunseeker wessivm post go thru until you get to Boso finally got it about post 30

Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #5

Thanks. I read the posts and think I get the picture. But... what does that middle coax connection, the one between the looped connection do?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #6

I have a drawing I made of the entire thing I will look to see if I have got it in my book if not its in the rv which is at dealer in myrtle beach sc but I drew it to be self explanatory I new without looking at the drawing or the rv I would not remember exactly I will get you what you need tomorrow What threw me off so bad was nobody was mentioned the hdi cable from TV to receiver

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Class C Representative

The middle connection is just for the Prewired satellite on the roof.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
The middle connection is just for the Prewired satellite on the roof.
Thanks Joshua. I think I understand it now.

1. Remove that coax loop
2. One of the connectors will be SAT IN to the receiver
3. The other connector will be RF TV Out from the receiver
4. The over the cab TV will be connected to the receiver via HDMI

Question - does the over the air antenna work on the bedroom and outdoor TV when the SAT is connected as detailed above?

Also, when using Campground Cable I suppose the coax loop must be reinstalled.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

I would say yes but to watch antenna you cut receiver off then play as you would if receiver was not there

Old 07-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

Satellite should play on any/all TV's that take cable feed when the loop is installed.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Satellite should play on any/all TV's that take cable feed when the loop is installed.
Does each TV that you want to watch satellite on need a receiver?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

No 1 receiver 3 tv's play TV in bedroom and outside on channel 3 on mine have to change channels at receiver unless watching antenna but all have satellite feed thru 1 receiver

Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #13

They just have to all be on the same channel when viewing satellite. You can't watch one channel in the living area and another in the bedroom and another outdoors.

You could watch SAT TV in one room and different channels of over the air TV on the other TVs.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

We never watch but one at a time but that's correct either sat or antenna we don't use cable or haven't yet

Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #15

when I bought my 3170 I had dealer prep for 2 sat inputs. main input feeds LR tv and outside tv second input feeds br and bunk room tv. I use 2 sat boxes .when using sat turn off booster when using air ant turn on booster.when using park cable I use same outside inputs and move coax to tv straight to input in cabinet gonna get some splitters to make park cable easier to deal with
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #16

2013 Forester satellite issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Go to satellite hookup post 3-31-2015 30th post on that I will tell you exactly how to do it people helped me thru I did 2015 3050 s 3 TV one receiver all work very well

I really need help getting my directv satellite working on my 2013 forester.
It has 3 TVs and the mysterious black box that all the coax etc go into and then out to each tv. The outside has the normal park cable hook up and also beside that is I’m guessing a HD hookup with the green splitter. I’ve already checked the continuity of that coax and it is the one that goes into the back of the black box as “from cable”. But when I take it loose and hook it to my directv receiver and then from receiver to the black box where it says from cable… I can’t get anything. I can’t get the tv to find chann 3. Now … if I skip the black box ( that has the options for all 3 TVs ) and hook coax from receiver directly to a tv, it will find chann 3 and I can watch directv. I just want to keep my antenna option for all 3 TVs plus push the satellite option on black box and watch directv. Can someone please help ? I’m new to forums and not sure I can get back here.
Kelsoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #17
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsoreb View Post
I really need help getting my directv satellite working on my 2013 forester.
It has 3 TVs and the mysterious black box that all the coax etc go into and then out to each tv. The outside has the normal park cable hook up and also beside that is I’m guessing a HD hookup with the green splitter. I’ve already checked the continuity of that coax and it is the one that goes into the back of the black box as “from cable”. But when I take it loose and hook it to my directv receiver and then from receiver to the black box where it says from cable… I can’t get anything. I can’t get the tv to find chann 3. Now … if I skip the black box ( that has the options for all 3 TVs ) and hook coax from receiver directly to a tv, it will find chann 3 and I can watch directv. I just want to keep my antenna option for all 3 TVs plus push the satellite option on black box and watch directv. Can someone please help ? I’m new to forums and not sure I can get back here.
You may not like the method I used, but it works for me. I have the Forester model 3011DS. I ran a new dedicated cable from under my RV floor to a shelf next to my TV in the Living Room. That’s where I placed my Directv receiver and satellite power box. I hid the cable as much as possible inside the lower cabinet. I also installed an outdoor satellite connector to the side of my RV near the location where I went through the floor. I can connect the cable from my Winegard directly to this connector. In order to use the satellite, I connected the receiver to the HDMI2 on the TV. All I have to do is change the source on my remote control to watch either park cable tv or my Winegard satellite. Hope this helps.
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #18

3051s satellite

I’m trying to post a pic of what I have on the outside for cable hood up and also the inside black divider box ( for a lack of what it really is ) Do you have the black box that came in the rv ? It says front tv viewing- Ext tv viewing- rear tv viewing. I can connect my directv box to the coax from outside labeled park cable and then run directly to a tv and I have satellite tv. However when I try going through that “black box” I can’t get a signal
Kelsoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsoreb View Post
I’m trying to post a pic of what I have on the outside for cable hood up and also the inside black divider box ( for a lack of what it really is ) Do you have the black box that came in the rv ? It says front tv viewing- Ext tv viewing- rear tv viewing. I can connect my directv box to the coax from outside labeled park cable and then run directly to a tv and I have satellite tv. However when I try going through that “black box” I can’t get a signal
No, I don’t have that box in this motorhome, but I know what you’re talking about because I had it in my last motorhome. Hopefully someone with more tech knowledge can help you get this resolved. I know how frustrating it is to get something new and not able to use it. When I bought my satellite and receiver I was told it was an easy installation. Well, that wasn’t exactly true. Hope you can find someone to help you out.
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #20

RVs aren't typically designed for 'Satellite and Receivers' since they require different and more 'direct' methods of wiring - you typically can't use a 'splitter' and other coax connectors that most RVs make well use of to route signals to the various locations.

Also, a receiver is required at each TV location, so trying to 'split' a satellite signal is problematic, and why most of us come up with our own 'direct' wiring methods.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, 305