Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #1

Power outage

I removed my 2 deep cycle 27 amp Batts for the winter. Kept charged...they are fine even after accident below...stable with full charge of 12.74 volts each after 24 hours. Bad luck when installing Batts in my 2250 ( 2019) Sunseeker. Wrench fell onto red/black terminals and sparks everywhere. Now no power to cabin even w Batts reinstalled. Fuses/ breakers fine. Cabin power switch by stairs turned on..but nothing inside works?? Any ideas? Circuit board by stairs behind black plate ok visually. Like I said, the Batts are just fine. They were reinstalled carefully and battery cables are fine.
Bob LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #2

Sounds like you have an opportunity to hone your troubleshooting skills. Assuming you have a battery connected, Start at the battery and verify voltage at each connection. There is a location where the voltage runs into a “gap” in the circuit. Remember, most converter panels have reverse polarity fuses in them. Those fuses may have “opened” particularly if the 110AC was connected at the time of your fireworks.
Do the batts still have voltage? A friend once did something similar. one of his batt posts had melted and was no longer connected inside the batt case.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

take a breath, get some coffee. this can be resolved.

first i would double and triple check that the batteries are installed properly. they seem to be 12 volt batteries so ensure that they are connected in parallel and that the battery external battery cables are connected to the proper battery terminals. you seem to be able to take battery voltage measurements. once the batteries are installed properly take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. it should be around the 12.7 you mention. if it is this is you baseline. you know the batteries are capable of providing power.

as stated previously you then trace the cables and take a voltage reading at each connection to find out where the power ceases.

you say breakers / fuses ok. did you check the resettable 12 volt breaker that protects the battery cables? this will typically be within a couple of feet or less from the batteries. in a travel trailer it is many time on the underside of the front portion of the frame. it may have to be reset. also double and triple the battery cutoff switch.

sorry you are having the problem but a methodical process of tracing the voltage from the batteries will resolve it.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Thanks so much to both of you for your thoughtful replies. Yes the Batts charged nicely and settled right at 12.74 volts. To simplify, reconnected only one batt, red house cable to red terminal, black to black. The information about another fuse or breaker protecting the battery is just what I was hoping to hear. Since nothing works I will hunt there first. By the way, do you keep your automotive battery ( under the hood) charged during the off-season with a charger that has a built in way of not overcharging the battery?
Old 06-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob LeClair View Post
By the way, do you keep your automotive battery ( under the hood) charged during the off-season with a charger that has a built in way of not overcharging the battery?
You can’t go wrong with a NOCO Genius. There are several to choose from to fit your specific requirements. They work like magic and I have one for each vehicle in my fleet that will sit for a while with no use.

I own several of the NOCO Genius g3500 units which have worked flawlessly, but it looks like this model has been discontinued. I can’t find out why.

Bruce
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Our 2012 Solera has a large (100 amp?) breaker in the box under a metal plate on the left hand side of the steps. Batter Control Center, I think. Metal plate has a warning message on it and is attached with two thumb nuts.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #7

Interesting...I looked there...no breaker but thanks
Old 06-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

Inverter

Anyone know where inverter and fus e or breaker for 2019 forest river SLE 2250 is located?
Old 06-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #9

Look for a resettable circuit breaker in the main cable between where it enters the battery box and where it enters the RV underneath the RV:

https://www.amazon.com/Short-Circuit...77556282&psc=1

There will be a button on the side of it to push to reset.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob LeClair View Post
Interesting...I looked there...no breaker but thanks
ScottBrownstein (sp?) posted this link for his 2017, I believe. Shows converter breaker location. Similar on my 2012 MBS:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...9&d=1491227342
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Another possibility is the ground wire. Since you connected one of two batteries, is there a splice or two ring terminals that must be placed on one battery for continuity to the second battery? Also, check where the ground wire attaches to the vehicle frame. There could be some corrosion or other reason (loose/broken/etc.) why no ground contact is being made.
This will stop current flow.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #12

On my minilte the is a heavy yellow wire less than two feet long between the battery and the battery disconnect switch. There is a fuse on this wire. Maybe yours is similarly equipped?
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #13

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. At this point I am only using one fully charged deep cycle batt to simplify things. But checking ground wires is a good idea. I think it likely a breaker is tripped or fuse blown .. just can't find it yet...thanks
Old 06-22-2020, 12:07 AM   #14

Will check...
Thx much...

Tags
power