Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Procedures for Slide Out and Levelers

Is everyone in agreement that the levelers should be lowered before the slide(s) are extended? Also, we were told by our dealer that the unit should be either plugged in or generator running before lowering jacks or extending slide(s). In February's edition of Motorhome Magazine, an article in the P.O. Box states the engine should be running versus pedestal or generator.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Retired

I'm in the habit of jacks down before slides with the trailer plugged in if possible.

ON EDIT: I see now you're referring to a MH but I think the same applies for both.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

I'm just the opposite. I open all sides then extend the rear stabilizers. I don't want the frame torqued one way or another then have to run the slides out. Just my .02
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

I was told to level with jacks while engine is running 1st thing you do when you ready to set up but this was back in 2003 when bought my 1st mh also theirs a lot of difference in leveling jacks and Stabalizers I put the slides out first when I used stablizers on other rv's
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

For mine, same as most, I lower the jacks (auto level) first then the slides. Slides are too heavy without stabilization.
2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat, Ecoboost
2009 Harley Davidson Road King
mikeoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

On my 3051s I level with auto levers first then pull slide out, I don't want that full wall slide bouncing around as it hangs out there, as the auto level does its thing. Also I feel if your battery is fully charged why do you need engine running to level unit?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
On my 3051s I level with auto levers first then pull slide out, I don't want that full wall slide bouncing around as it hangs out there, as the auto level does its thing. Also I feel if your battery is fully charged why do you need engine running to level unit?
Do the same with ours. Don't understand running the engine to level either. Out of curiosity, did you have many quality problems with your 3051S?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Our Forester has the Bigfoot automatic levelers and the manual states the MH should be plugged into 110-v. or generator running during leveler and slideout operation. Reason being to ensure the battery maintains proper voltage during operation. The ignition key should be in the off position.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Correct. For the levelers to work properly the unit should be leveled FIRST, then the slides out.

If not, the unit will get level, but could end up higher than need be. If the unit leans due to the slide, it could set the level off the high side first, which brings the low side up, instead of the high side down.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

i have the pathfinder elite 404rb, 4 slides, 3 of the slides work perfectly..one will not budge. Are there separate motors for each slide where i could manually retract the slide? It is stuck extended so i can't take it anywhere till i get it retracted. we have had the unit only about 6 months, no trouble till now. My usual procedure is to plug into shore power (at least 110v), shut off engine, lower jacks, then extend slides. Worked fine up till this last weekend when we were headed out. Fortunatley it stuck at home so not on the road. Operator manual is no help for manual operation (if that's even possible). Help? And thanks.
2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat, Ecoboost
2009 Harley Davidson Road King
mikeoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Just a heads up. You are on a Motorhome sub forum. While you will still get responses, you may not get as many or ones specific to your brand.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

Think about it for a second.

You want to extend the slides without having them bind due to a twisted frame.

First you level the unit with generator or shore power on because there is no need to strain the batteries when power is available.

Then you extend the slides now that the frame is all perfectly level and untwisted from the uneven site you probably parked on.

If you need to tweak it a little now that the slides are extended you can do that now.

Not sure why you would do it any other way.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoller View Post
For mine, same as most, I lower the jacks (auto level) first then the slides. Slides are too heavy without stabilization.

We are new to the automatic leveling. Do you have to block the wheels before leveling. Some of our camping has a down hill slope. We are ordering the 3171DS. Thx for any help in this matter. Ben
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #14

I always chock the wheels. If your rear wheels come off the ground, the parking brake will be useless. I find auto mode is too aggressive. I now level in manual mode.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I always chock the wheels. If your rear wheels come off the ground, the parking brake will be useless. I find auto mode is too aggressive. I now level in manual mode.

Garrette, thx for the info. Nice 3170, how's she holding up?
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #16

If we see that any of our wheels will be off the ground, we use leveling blocks beneath them.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #17

On my 3170 I use boards to get at least 1/2 to 3/4 bubble from level before running the jacks then push the auto level. I have never raised a wheel off the ground doing that . Then I run the slides out.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Garrette, thx for the info. Nice 3170, how's she holding up?

She just turned 2 and could Not be happier. Well, more camping would make us happier. After 8000 miles, no issues after the typical stuff was repaired. Generator fuel pump, awning motor recall, alignment. Seems the more we use it, the better it gets.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #19

Coach-Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoller View Post
i have the pathfinder elite 404rb, 4 slides, 3 of the slides work perfectly..one will not budge. Are there separate motors for each slide where i could manually retract the slide? It is stuck extended so i can't take it anywhere till i get it retracted. we have had the unit only about 6 months, no trouble till now. My usual procedure is to plug into shore power (at least 110v), shut off engine, lower jacks, then extend slides. Worked fine up till this last weekend when we were headed out. Fortunatley it stuck at home so not on the road. Operator manual is no help for manual operation (if that's even possible). Help? And thanks.
If it is only 6 months old call Coach-Net they can assist with Tech service or getting a mobile mechanic authorized to repair it.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out