RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Turn off your propane tank. Disconnect the hose from the tank. Reconnect the hose to the tank, then turn the propane tank back on very slowly. Very slowly. Now go to your stove and see if you have propane.

Bruce
DITTO. That OPD valve is a safety devise to shut off flow when they top it off and shut off if ypu say tear a line open. And note that if you disconnect the tank then open the valve, without back pressure it will immediately shut down.

I also found that when my tanks were brand new, one would not even fill until we knocked around to loosen the valve safety. Final thought. New tanks are ofter full of moisture. If they don't "purge" them on first filling that moisture can freeze up in the regulator. If I get it, purging is just a matter of running a bunch of extra gas out in to the air during filling. Stop repeat. Ultimately that gets most moisture out. Water vapor freezes up the regulator then no flow til you clear it. All that is word of mouth as I don't really face much moisture or freezing in sunny California. But that regulator can freeze on an above freezing day when there is a lot of regulator flow or lots of water vapor in the system.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
Bruce,

Why slowly?

Charlie
Because that OPD valve shuts down on sudden flow with out any or much back pressure. Filling pressure in to a large system will feel like no back pressure to the valve but if you crack it open slowly it won't act like a sudden decompression or torn open line etc.and will let the back pressure build up.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #23

If your RV is still under warranty, drive it to the RV dealer, park it in front of their showroom and get them to fix the problem. Don't leave until it is fixed. (Camp there if you have to.)
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Because that OPD valve shuts down on sudden flow with out any or much back pressure. Filling pressure in to a large system will feel like no back pressure to the valve but if you crack it open slowly it won't act like a sudden decompression or torn open line etc.and will let the back pressure build up.

I was just told that the propane won't work if the slide is in is that true
jackpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpaulg View Post
I was just told that the propane won't work if the slide is in is that true
I have a Forester 3051. I run the refrigerator with propane while driving, with the slide in obviously, and the propane works fine. So unless there has been a change I would say that is not true. How would you keep a 2 way fridge cold without running the generator otherwise?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #26

Have a FR sunseeker had the same issue
Maybe air in the line
Try tapping the regulator lightly sometimes they stick
Also try lighting the stove when u tap
Keep us posted on ur results
Good luck
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #27

Go inside. Look for LP gas alarm, detector, The light should be steady on. Reset the detectoor, see if that opens the gas valve.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #28

If you have propane alarm "you must if fitted with a horizontal tank", then there is a small electrical valve in the piping from the tank. Feel the upper part of that valve and it should be hot enough to burn your hand. That's normal if the valve is open. If cold you need help, you'll never get gas without a repair.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #29

Forest River Class C's when ours was built in 2010 did not have a valve on the LP line interconnected with the LP alarm. Some other RV'S did have the valve at that time. Later Class C's may have the valve.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #30
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Forest River Class C's when ours was built in 2010 did not have a valve on the LP line interconnected with the LP alarm. Some other RV'S did have the valve at that time. Later Class C's may have the valve.
X2. No LP alarm linked shut off valve on our 2012 Solera.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post

Yes my '12 378 had it and couldn't figure out why the hot little valve in propane piping was even there. Later when the detector crapped out it became obvious. There's plenty of posts on here bout the hot solenoid valve.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
X2. No LP alarm linked shut off valve on our 2012 Solera.

Without researching ANSI rules concerning propane piping maybe is based on tank size. I learned early FR didn't give away gifts like propane shutdowns unless they were forced to!
Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #33

I want to thank everyone for responding this is a great site and very helpful, especially for a new RV owner.

So below is what I think know now

1. The stove and water heater will not work with the slide in.

2. I think when I filled up last Saturday the guy over filled the tank because he did not open the bleeder valve when he was filling it up. The article from the Ramblerguy was very helpful.

3. I opened the slide and follow the procedures mentioned above. The I turned on the stove and after about a minute the stove fired up. Then I turned on the fridge to LP and it was flashing LP which means there was a lock out. So I shut it off and turned it back on and it started working again.

At this point I'm not sure what happened but everything seems to be working fine now. I did stop by an RV dealership and picked up a spare regulator.

Thanks again to everyone who responded
jackpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #34

Propane appliances not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpaulg View Post
I want to thank everyone for responding this is a great site and very helpful, especially for a new RV owner.

So below is what I think know now

1. The stove and water heater will not work with the slide in.

2. I think when I filled up last Saturday the guy over filled the tank because he did not open the bleeder valve when he was filling it up. The article from the Ramblerguy was very helpful.

3. I opened the slide and follow the procedures mentioned above. The I turned on the stove and after about a minute the stove fired up. Then I turned on the fridge to LP and it was flashing LP which means there was a lock out. So I shut it off and turned it back on and it started working again.

At this point I'm not sure what happened but everything seems to be working fine now. I did stop by an RV dealership and picked up a spare regulator.

Thanks again to everyone who responded

Glad to hear you are up and running again!

Just one question....I can't recall what the 3051 floor plan looks like. Is your stove and water heater in a slide?

The point about them not working with the slide in sounds unusual to me. I just wanted to make sure the slide is not somehow pinching your propane line when it's in.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
Glad to hear you are up and running again!

Just one question....I can't recall what the 3051 floor plan looks like. Is your stove and water heater in a slide?

The point about them not working with the slide in sounds unusual to me. I just wanted to make sure the slide is not somehow pinching your propane line when it's in.
That's a good question and something OP should check. With the slide open look underneath it and you'll see the propane hose to the stove.
My 3051 has the stove top in the slide. The fridge, water heater and furnace are not. After reading this thread I checked the stove with the slide in and it works. I have yet to trigger the propane alarm to see if it has any effect on the propane tank but plan to do it out of curiosity.The only wires at my tank are on the gauge and sends tank level to the Lippert tablet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-18-11-43-13.png
Views:	41
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	135074
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #36

With the 3051 and the slide out, check under the slide and make sure the gas line still has the retaining bungee cord on it. If not, the the gas line will get folded over and pinched off when the slide is in. Ask me how I know this!

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
With the 3051 and the slide out, check under the slide and make sure the gas line still has the retaining bungee cord on it. If not, the the gas line will get folded over and pinched off when the slide is in. Ask me how I know this!
Thanks for the bungee cord comment. I'll add that to my list of things to remember about this unit, lol.
Without needing to ask how you know this, was it a big deal to remedy and prevent from reoccurring?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #38

The cord had pulled out of one ends connector. I had the "feed" it back through with a fine point needle nose pliers. Then I had to figure out how many times to wrap it around the gas line to get it to pull the hose in straight as the slide went in. Took a few tries with the wife on the switch so I could watch it feed into the chute and made sure it went in straight. Inside the cargo bay is a "box" that all the extra hose is suppose to coil up in when the slide is in. I had to dismantle that too to finish the repair. Easy enough, just a bunch of screws holding a couple plastic walls in place.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
The cord had pulled out of one ends connector. I had the "feed" it back through with a fine point needle nose pliers. Then I had to figure out how many times to wrap it around the gas line to get it to pull the hose in straight as the slide went in. Took a few tries with the wife on the switch so I could watch it feed into the chute and made sure it went in straight. Inside the cargo bay is a "box" that all the extra hose is suppose to coil up in when the slide is in. I had to dismantle that too to finish the repair. Easy enough, just a bunch of screws holding a couple plastic walls in place.
Thanks. I took a screen shot of your reply in case I need it for future reference. Good to know.

Tags
propane