Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Propane in, heat out

What are the thoughts of hooking up a propane bottle to the coach grill gas outlet to power the furnace, an extended stay deal....Does not seem to have a regulator to bother with. Ever been done?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I know that someone on here as done the ole "extend a stay route" on a Sprinter.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Wouldn't do it without a regulator on the extra tank, otherwise you are putting unregulated pressure on all the gas appliances, which might result in unwanted consequences.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
What are the thoughts of hooking up a propane bottle to the coach grill gas outlet to power the furnace, an extended stay deal....Does not seem to have a regulator to bother with. Ever been done?
I would really hesitate to do that. Your in-house fixtures just aren't built to handle a high pressure feed.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #5

The Extend a stay connection

I own a 3050 Sunseeker. The "extend a stay" connection that I have connects between the coach tank and the regulator. This unit has two connectors, one for a external tank, and one for the propane grill (small 1 pound tank type connection). The extend a tank is connected between the coach tank and the coach regulator.

With this setup both the onboard tank and the external tank pass through the regulator, so with a set up like this you will have no problem.
murf259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #6

As muf259 says, extend a stay goes before the regulator so no different than using onboard tank.
hotbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #7

The usual setups are like murf259 states. This is especially useful if one has a Sprinter chassis and a LP gas generator, as one can use 20 or 30 pound cylinders to keep the A/C going if dry camping in a hotter climate like Texas.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
SaubleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Question states, "coach GRILL gas outlet". That means its after the regulator. You must NOT connect an unregulated supply here.

(Licensed gas fitter)
Saubleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saubleguy View Post
Question states, "coach GRILL gas outlet". That means its after the regulator. You must NOT connect an unregulated supply here.
EXACTLY!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saubleguy View Post

(Licensed gas fitter)
Oh, good catch! I was reading question as using an actual extend-a-stay.
hotbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #11

Got it. Do not attempt.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Average Joe

Wonder if you added a regulator to the bottle first.....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
SaubleGuy

Technically that may work, however, you have to remember that gas systems are designed to work in a specific direction for a reason ie pipe size typically starts out larger at supply. I would never recommend doing this.
If you need to use a larger tank for extended stay periods, replace one of the original propane hoses with a longer one that will reach out to the external tank. It could be coiled and ziptied during normal use.
My $0.02
Saubleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #14

Depends on your grill

In my previous post, the "extend a stay" adapter is placed between the onboard tank and the regulator. The kit has a connection port for the gas grill. My gas grill (Weber Q2000) has a regulator built into it. This is typical of grill that will take either an 1lb propane bottle (the little green ones) or the usual 20-30lb propane tanks. In either case the grill's regulator is all that is needed.

Since we are talking the usual "portable" grill I assumed that we were all on the same page. My mistake.
murf259 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane