Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Proper end of trip maintenance

Hi just finished our first season of snowbirding - 3 months away to Arizona. Other than having our power converter fail, and my wife learning to chain up to go thru Oregon, all was good! (BTW our fantastic vent start squeaking, CW in Vegas said bearing was stating to go, gave me part number, called Dometic, replaced no question over the phone, part arrived today! Shout out to this company!)
We put about 3300 miles on our unit and total mileage now is 31000 km. It was very discouraging to re-winterized it for the few weeks of cold weather we still are experiencing here in B.C.
Wanted to make sure I do all necessary work to ensure longevity. It's been washed and waxed, planning to have oil, filters changed, slide lubed. Any other suggestions? Since I towed, should I change out tranny fluid? Manuals can tell you one thing, but actual users seem a lot better. ( oh, next year we will be driving down in oct/nov, flying home for Xmas and then returning to stay until April!)
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Trip maintenance

Sorry I can't help you with your questions. It sounds like you had a great time in ARZ. Did you stay in one place all the time or did you move. I love ARZ. My DW and I are planning a similar trip for next winter. Leave MD. after New Years and head towards Fla. then across the southern border heading to ARZ. and hoping to spend at least a month.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Yuma

First time to Yuma, made the mistake of believing park rep to book everything all at once and in advance as it would be impossible to get space later. Not. Yuma may have been busy years ago but with house criss and dollar exchange parks were only about 65% full! Would have preferred to book in one first then change over after arriving. Parks now there are offering $1950 specials 6 mount stay and 6 month storage! Will be primarily heading to Phoenix area next year with maybe staying 2-3 weeks in Yuma to visit FIL.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #4

JD57

I can comment on transmission fluid changes. We always tow a 4000 pound Pathfinder with our Sunseeker 3100 on a Ford E450. We've towed in the Rockies so it's had a workout.

I changed the fluid at 40,000 miles and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Their report was that the fluid and transmission showed wear they normally see at 30,000 miles and the fluid was at the point where they recommended it be changed.

Yours should be okay but if you are concerned, order a sample kit from them or a Canadian lab and have the fluid tested. Look for Blackstone Labs online.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Thanks will take a look. Safe travels.

Tags
maintenance