Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Purchase Pending Forester MBS 2401B

OK, I am taking the plunge.. and have put a deposit on a Forester MBS 2401B
Should take delivery in the next week sometime..

Was going to wait.. but.. a friends father died recently - and it reminded me of my mother passing just as she was retiring 15+ years ago.. and I decided.. why wait.. lets just do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	818C52DA-951B-462D-A36B-54687120E322_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	564.2 KB
ID:	260894  
Old 08-11-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

My quick inspection - the RV was remarkably clean.. very few tick-tacky defects.. will do a final inspection before delivery
wennerquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Commercial Member

congrats!!! Welcome to the Family
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

Congrats wennerquest! We took delivery of our ‘21 2401B last October and after 9,000+ miles we are very happy with it.

There will be some of the usual RV issues in your first year but the people out here on these forums and FR are always willing to help. Check out the Sprinter Chassis forum for lots MBS specific info. And don’t hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or issues. I’ve become an expert (not really but I’ve learned a lot…) in the last 10 months!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wennerquest View Post

Was going to wait.. but.. a friends father died recently - and it reminded me of my mother passing just as she was retiring 15+ years ago.. and I decided.. why wait.. lets just do this.
What ever you do WAIT . the garbage coming out now from manufactures is the worst i've ever seen this covid camper era 2020- who knows when is not the time to buy a camper . go look at a good used one you will be happier in the long run
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:

Congrats and fwiw not waiting is the right thing. Life's too unpredictable and short.

Contrary to what others are saying about initial quality, all the new motorhomes on my dealers lot appear excellent. Mostly Georgetowns and FR3's in particular.

Any dealer putting MH's with obvious defects on their lots should be avoided.

Waiting and hoping that the rv industry will be able to overcome human resource and supply chain issues negatively impacting quality doesn't make sense to me.

Avoiding a purchase now and waiting until last years and this years units purchased by wannabe rvers hit the market as used units (whenever that magical time frame happens) is a gamble.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

Just be aware of the very high maintenance costs associated with the MBS chassis. It is a Mercedes after all.

Like $850 for an "A' service for mine.

John C
JOhn_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #8

Freightliner does MB work for a lot less. Yes service is expensive but going in I knew that and the longevity of the MBS chassis is the primary reason we chose that one.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:42 AM   #9

Awesome choice! My own reasons for choosing it were for the Mercedes quality, better handling than Ford ( I own Ford too), great on mountainous driving and it will hold its value longer with a Diesel engine. It also gets great mileage to the gallon. My rv was on my bucket list for over 30 hrs. I wasn’t able to get one until my divorce. I have had so many great adventures with it. Enjoy your life while you can !
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #10

Congratulations, and enjoy it !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #11

thanks everyone for the feedback/responses. Definitely going ahead with it.

I've seen some posts on quality issues, but everything looked good on this one.

Only thing we are waiting for right now, is a Mercedes recall service (which I assume is an examination of the air bag wiring, if what I have looked up online is correct).

My initial trip will be.. to my backyard parking strip (changing the power on that from 50Amp to 30Amp this week, so it matches.

Plan on taking a couple short trips nearby after that, to figure out any issues that need to be resolved.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
thanks everyone for the feedback/responses. Definitely going ahead with it.

My initial trip will be.. to my backyard parking strip (changing the power on that from 50Amp to 30Amp this week, so it matches.

Plan on taking a couple short trips nearby after that, to figure out any issues that need to be resolved.
I’m not sure I understand your statement about changing power from 50amp to 30amp so it matches.
Did you used to have a larger RV that used a 50amp cord?
There’s no reason to change the power outlet for your 30amp Sunseeker.
Just buy an adapter (dogbone cord) to convert from 50 to 30amp. Then you can always use whatever plug a campground has. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF43D011-DC45-4E6E-A0F3-3AE16FEA9DB9.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	261114  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #13

I have power run to the parking strip in my backyard. It is 50 AMP.. because my 5th wheel was 50 Amp. I am converting it to 30 Amp to match this one (well, my neighbor who is an electrician will do it).

I will certainly have a 50-to-30Amp adapter for travel .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m not sure I understand your statement about changing power from 50amp to 30amp so it matches.
Did you used to have a larger RV that used a 50amp cord?
There’s no reason to change the power outlet for your 30amp Sunseeker.
Just buy an adapter (dogbone cord) to convert from 50 to 30amp. Then you can always use whatever plug a campground has. See photo.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
I have power run to the parking strip in my backyard. It is 50 AMP.. because my 5th wheel was 50 Amp. I am converting it to 30 Amp to match this one (well, my neighbor who is an electrician will do it).

I will certainly have a 50-to-30Amp adapter for travel .
Why not leave it alone and use the dogbone adapter you say you already have.
What if you change back to a 50amp rig in the future?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Why not leave it alone and use the dogbone adapter you say you already have.
What if you change back to a 50amp rig in the future?
I cannot speak for wennerquest but I know I would change the receptacle and the breaker. The breaker so the initial protection is at the box and not in the coach. The receptacle so the plug is protected under the box cover rather than hanging out on a dog bone. No need to downsize as it will lessen the possibility of a voltage drop.
YMMV
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #16

You spoke for me pretty well
In addition:
1) I am just paying for parts, so the cost in negligible.
2) I intentionally downsized - so going back up to a 50Amp is unlikely in the near future.
3) The fewer links in the chain.. the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I cannot speak for wennerquest but I know I would change the receptacle and the breaker. The breaker so the initial protection is at the box and not in the coach. The receptacle so the plug is protected under the box cover rather than hanging out on a dog bone. No need to downsize as it will lessen the possibility of a voltage drop.
YMMV
Old 09-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #17

2401B

Hope you have better luck than my Forester 2021 2401B. Had it now over year and have not been able to use it. Have 1200 miles on it with about 700 miles going back and forth for service about 45 miles away. Two refrigerators, One new microwave, new transfer switch, over dozen screws missing, drawers that didn't close, black and gray sewer cables that had to be cut off so the door would close, service put holes in my vinyl floor and damaged trim on taking out 1st fridge, one heater hose was kinked to the point of being closed, slide seal damaged, and what really made me sick, 4 days ago I find 3 cracks in exterior fiberglass 4-5-6 inches long all on passenger side, absolutely disgusting. Still has plastic on the bed. Need I say more.
gmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #18

So far so good, knock on wood. First trip is this weekend, but I have slept in it multiple days in the backyard.

So far.. fridge works great (only complaint is.. if you want to move the shelves you have to remove the door due to position of the bed).

I haven't cooked in the oven yet.

I have made two fixes, both regarding cabinet doors..

1) the rear cabinet was not turning off the interior lights. I noticed this was due to the doors being mounted too far out. I actually LIKE where the doors are mounted, as the screws are centered in cabinet where mounted.. so I just got a couple magnetic strike plates, and put them where them doors push the lights. $5 and 10 minutes problem solved (and no drilling).

2) one of the hinges of the medicine cabinet doors was put in at a severe angle - so it stuck into the cabinet and did NOT properly support the door (not sure how I missed this when I did the walk through). Found my trusty square head, backed it out, drilled a new starter hole.. and put it back in correctly.

haven't used the heat yet, but have used the A/C a fair amount.

fingers crossed, but everything seems ok.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #19

Quote:
haven't used the heat yet, but have used the A/C a fair amount.

fingers crossed, but everything seems ok.
You might want to run the furnace for a couple of hours in the driveway before you get it out on the road. The initial smell from ours was making me dizzy and setting off the CO alarm. It needed a couple of hours of burn off to eliminate the fumes.

Good luck on your first trip. We’re coming up on one year and will break 10,000 miles on our trip up north this week. All good!!!
MooseRiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester