Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Question for a HAM

I'll be picking up a 2400w (in regards to this question same as 2401w) and am looking for advice on running Co-ax from dash to rear, with the intent of using rear ladder as a mast.
Also, can I expect any surprises such as noise from the generator, dc/ac inverter, Led lighting, ect.
Skip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Yes, but nothing you can't work around. Plenty of places to run coax just make sure you run a quality coax such as RG213. A Tarheel 100 will work nice for HF. I installed a TS-480 HX, TM-710G, Tarheel 200HP and a Turbo Tuner in my toad so I have HF, UHF and VHF when we are camping. Noise can be decoupled by using clamp-on ferrite beads on input/output cables.

Frank
KM4FVI
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

I have a VHF/UHF antenna mounted on my luggage rack in back (think mirror mount). I ran the 35' coax forward up the frame and eventually found a path into the house area. I think going into the dash area might be easier. I didn't care about dash area at the time because I was planning only using the radio when stationary.

I haven't thought too much about HF in the MH yet since I just got my HF antenna up at home resterday. That will come some day.

Dave
KG7JCA
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Site Team

I ran this (See below) in 1" size from front to back and keep a pull string in it. Anchored to frame using conduit clamps on screws that hold on Coroplast underbelly. Makes it easy to run wiring from front to back as needed. Be careful with cheap Chinese LED lights as the driver circuitry is sometimes very RF noisy.

Carlon 1/2 Inch x 25 ft. ENT Coil - Blue-12005-025 - The Home Depot

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably run 2 to 4 pieces of co-ax in plastic conduit to a box under the bumper, then come out of the box using connectors as I may also install cell and wifi boosters (I do tend to get carried away). As a fox hunter once told me " who ever has the most antennas, wins".

Neill
KD2CMQ
Skip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

I ran my coax from the rear ladder ( on left side ) mirror mount ATAS120 ant. along the left frame to where the rear factory wiring harness from dash exited cabin. It is located under the drivers door jam tread at the rear of door opening. I have operated a FT100D, FT450D and presently using a FT991 on HF, UHF and VHF with no issues.
I have logged Europe, N. Africa, Asia, Australia, North/South America and South Pacific Islands with the above setup.

Happy DX
Viet combat vet USNR, DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote