Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #21

Update on transmission

Again thanks for the info concerning my Ford V-10 auto-transmission.
I want to update other members about my situation(s).
I was worried about over heating or red-lining my transmission. My Ford dealer insisted that the computer chip in the Vortex transmission would prevent over-revving. Since the dash did not have a transmission temp gauge, nor a tachometer...I decided to put in my own gauges. They have never even shown above average temps nor gotten close to 5000 rpm's.
I am totally impressed about the cooling capability of the transmission itself.(see my story below).

My Sunseeker LE had front level stabilizers installed by Forest River when
the RV shell was mated to the Ford Chassis. What FR quality control did not check was whether or not the transmission coolant hoses were pinched as they passed beneath the front end! This fall I had my local dealer dump the transmission fluid and replace the fluid filter. When I stopped back to pick up the unit...the dealer had his mechanic come out. The mechanic asked me if I knew that the front level stabilizers had been installed with the coolant hoses squashed between them and the chassis! I was shocked because I noticed no temps higher than average even when out west in the summer
climbing over 8,000 ft in the Rockies. The mechanic found that the fluid he had dumped was NOT burned...it hardly appeared to have been used!
He stated that there is so much fluid in the trans pan, that just the air passing over the trans apparently was enough to keep the transmission from
overheating. He showed me the replaced hoses and where they had sat. I could see from road dirt that he was telling the truth. The trans temp still stays in the mid-temp level. I guess the trans doesn't need to divert fluid
into the radiator but I now feel more confident that it won't overheat.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I think there is another element to this discussion. So far, it seems everyone is saying the computer will prevent over-revving. IMO, this would be true if you have some throttle involved. BUT, if you are totally out of the throttle and trying to use compression braking, I would submit that you certainly CAN over-rev the engine because it is being FORCED to over-rev mechanically. No amount of cutting fuel/ignition will prevent this.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe in a straight drive only. with an automatic, again, the computer is in control, and will not let the engine over rev. The computer will open valves, or shift the transmission to prevent damage. Don't believe me? Take your automatic car out. Pull it in low gear, and floor it. After some time, it will shift, regardless of shifter input. One more thought, the quote"REDLINE" is for an engine under throttle doing the pulling, where timing is advanced, fuel/air mixture in cylinder causing combustion, and twisting forces on crank, etc. The max rpm you can "push" and engine may be different because the forces are all different.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I think there is another element to this discussion. So far, it seems everyone is saying the computer will prevent over-revving. IMO, this would be true if you have some throttle involved. BUT, if you are totally out of the throttle and trying to use compression braking, I would submit that you certainly CAN over-rev the engine because it is being FORCED to over-rev mechanically. No amount of cutting fuel/ignition will prevent this.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and admit that you don't drive your car or RV anymore. You haven't for years. You transmit desires to the computer and the computer decides what happens. Say you put it in "R".. Well if the computer decides to go forward, that's where you'll go.

This isn't bad. This means that we can still use MPG instead of GPM (gallons per mile) for our RVs. It also means that you don't die every time you go for a drive.

Guys, we are driving 13Ton RVs with across the country every day with ZERO formal training, getting north of 6MPG and putting out less pollution than an econ crapbox from the early 90s..

How friggin' cool is that?!?!

Read the manual, do what it tells you and if something bad happens your next of kin can sue the hell outa Forest River and Ford!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker le