Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #1

Questions re 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

Complete newby here so please be patient. Just bought the RV from a widow that had no knowledge of systems so trying to learn from the manuals included, which is proving to be a challenge, so have a few questions:

There is a small box with a digital display mounted on the side of the bed which apparently is a remote for an electrical management system - where is the main box located and what does it do, and what is the remote box telling me?

Brochures were included for an Automatic Transfer Switch (PD5100) and a Power Control Center (PD4500) - what are their functions and where are they located?

We really hope to do a lot of camping without being plugged in, but need electrical for TV's, satellite and CPAP, but hate having to run the generator. I think that a relatively small inverter would be a great addition - how big a deal is such an install and pros and cons and suggestions as to how to go about it?

Thanks for any helpful feedback,

Bob
PilotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Does this small box on the side of your bed look like my photos?
The main box is located just as the power cord enters the motorhome.
This is my remote display from my power management and surge protection unit hardwired in my motorhome.

It’s an aftermarket install.

As far as an inverter.....I’ll leave that to others. The more toys you want, the bigger and $$$$ the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82BA254D-79BC-42E6-97D6-5D55B32985A7.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	229763   Click image for larger version

Name:	D783D8A6-3A92-415B-9549-BFC8D3E32110.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	229764  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

I've got a 2017 3010DS and what you are describing are ALL aftermarket - installed by the previous owner at some point. So, there's not going to probably be a fixed position... it'll be where he wanted to put things.
And like kenandterry, I'll defer to others more versed than I on the inverter.
Now, factory installed items or general system info on the 3010DS, that I might be able to help you.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

In case you are missing some manuals, Forest River has manuals on line for most standard equipment. Otherwise you may be able to get a manual from the appliance manufacturer’s web site. Here is a link to the FR owner’s manuals for 2016 class C motorhomes: https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...torhome/browse

In the case of your example, PD4500, just search the web for PD4500. I did and it returned the following link from it’s manuafacturer, shows pictures of it, and describes what it does. In this case it’s an AC and DC power distribution panel with battery charger. Look around your RV for a panel that looks similar to the pictures. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4500-series/
Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

It would help if you can post photos.
Small inverters that use a cigar plug can supply enough wattage for most television, no install required if you have 12 volt outlets. Installing pa permanent inverter can be a bit more work and require more battery.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #6

I had a 2014 3010Ds and I installed the EMS under the bed as that is where the transfer switch is. You need to lift the bed and remove the plywood under it. All of the wiring is there for the converter, transfer switch. I also mounted the display on the side of the bed. Easy , no panels to remove.
steve from PA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker