Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Radio reception

Has anyone successfully moved the radio antennae to actually get reception with their radio? We have a 2300 that the bunkhouse hangs over the radio antennae and reception is very poor. It does pick up stations but if you are over 30 Miles from the station, less on FM, you won’t be listening to that station very long. I’m considering taking it to a professional to have a decent radio and speakers installed because what’s in it is of very marginal quality at best.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

It is easy enough to replace the speakers...one of the very first things I do when I get a new camper.

The outside antenna...not quite so easy.

My current 5'ver, the radio antenna was hooked up to the roof TV antenna, and not only didn't work, but was also shorting out the TV and cable signal to the TV in the living room.

Once I discovered the problem, which my dealership had no clue how to fix, I finally did it myself.

For now I have a marine/boat antenna inside the entertainment center and it is OK, but do plan on mounting an outside roof mount antenna.

Although, I may not bother as I hardly ever use the radio for anything other than running the TV sound through it.

I usually only listen to the radio when outside and I find my Sony boombox with built-in subwoofer much better than those cheezy Jensen marine speakers that come from the factory in RV's.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

hoy hoy

I look forward in seeing what replacement you select for the indash multi plex unit. We went with a marine XM antenna and are happy with the results. If I was staying with the over the air antenna I would still mount it over the door cabinet where I ran my xm wire..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_150724_4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	183425  
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I’m not sure I will replace it without relocating the antennae outside for better reception. We aren’t in it enough to set up XM or I would do that as it already is setup for that. We bought a home in Florida so only plan on using it local not spending a lot of money on it. I’m still hoping someone has relocated the antennae and has a simple solution and place to put it. Under the bunkhouse just doesn’t work.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
<snip> We bought a home in Florida <snip>.

Does that mean we won't see you in Casa Grande this winter? Good luck with the antenna.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Does that mean we won't see you in Casa Grande this winter? Good luck with the antenna.

I’m afraid not. It was nice there but got too cold in the evenings for my asthma. Probably be much better in the fall and spring but we ran into friends in Florida and a very nice place that was affordable so we went for it. Thanks for your help while we were there.

Tags
radio, reception