Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #1

Rear window leak 2017 3050s

Found a leak and I will be taking the window out to reseal the window. I plan on using butyl tape making sure the one overlap is on the bottom of the window and then clear silicone a bead over the top as well.

It will be my first time doing this and looking for tips like: what size butyl tape works the best? Is silicone the best option to make a bead over the top after the butyl tape? How heavy is the rear window? Best way to remove adhesive and silicone caulk from around the window (I have the full body paint on it)? Or any other thoughts about doing this job.

Thanks in advance for help...
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
A Wanderer of Deserts

I'm curious about your leak and if it's like mine. When parked facing uphill, I've found water dripping off the top of the inside window frame onto the bottom of the frame and splattering on the floor. Wondering if your leak is similar?

The dealer pressure tested the rig twice, said they sealed leaks only for it to happen again. I'm now thinking when we drive in the rain water is blown off the roof, down the rear wall into a gap along the top of the outside window frame. Plan to seal that with silicone. Didn't think about taking the window out and don't think I trust my skills to do so without creating other problems.
Houndwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndwalker View Post
I'm curious about your leak and if it's like mine. When parked facing uphill, I've found water dripping off the top of the inside window frame onto the bottom of the frame and splattering on the floor. Wondering if your leak is similar?

The dealer pressure tested the rig twice, said they sealed leaks only for it to happen again. I'm now thinking when we drive in the rain water is blown off the roof, down the rear wall into a gap along the top of the outside window frame. Plan to seal that with silicone. Didn't think about taking the window out and don't think I trust my skills to do so without creating other problems.
It is exactly similar except it was happening while level. I know it is the seal since I was able to stop the leak with some silicone caulk.

Once the seal fails the best solution is to take the window out and redo the sealing. Caulk or other quick fixes like that only last long enough to get the rig home and do the sealing job. BTW, you might consider doing it yourself and watching a few YouTube videos on it because it appears to be a pretty straight forward job.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

Lexel will be much better than silicon. Much clearer, holds better and lasts longer.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

What type of window is it? Maybe attach a picture? I've discovered some minor water damage under my rear window which also happens to be an emergency exit window. It took some time to figure how water was getting in but I was able to diagnose the issue and have taken some temporary measures to mitigate it and will be contacting the manufacturer for some guidance as to a long term solution. Just curious what your situation is.

RVr

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Lexel will be much better than silicon. Much clearer, holds better and lasts longer.
I'll give that a try. I use the very best when I repair anything to avoid redis. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
What type of window is it? Maybe attach a picture? I've discovered some minor water damage under my rear window which also happens to be an emergency exit window. It took some time to figure how water was getting in but I was able to diagnose the issue and have taken some temporary measures to mitigate it and will be contacting the manufacturer for some guidance as to a long term solution. Just curious what your situation is.

RVr
https://images.app.goo.gl/r2Bfd8J2ruE7US4i9

This is the window/escape window I grabbed from a stock image. Your leak is similar it sounds to me. I'm planning on fixing it myself since the job appears straight forward.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #8

removing and resealing window

I've done this four times now. My plan is to eventually do it to all the windows because I think that's it a rather permanent repair and not sure why they don't leave the factory like this. Anyway, I do it this way. You'll need some type of plastic pry tool, 3/4" x 60' butyl caulk tape, mineral spirits, rags. Remove the screws from the inside metal window trim piece, pry tool on outside to unstick the window, lay it on a flat surface, peel off the foam weather stripping, clean frame and remove adhesive residue with mineral spirits, I use 2 layers of the butyl tape stick to window frame where the weather stripping was and re-install. It takes an hour tops. I haven't caulked after because the tape will ooze out over time. You may need to wait a year if you want to caulk. Slightly tighten the screws over time and trim off the excess butyl tape and enjoy a weather proof window.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #9

Good tips. You mentioned 1 or 2 things I didn't see elsewhere. Thank you.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post

This is the window/escape window I grabbed from a stock image. Your leak is similar it sounds to me. I'm planning on fixing it myself since the job appears straight forward.
Yes, same window. My issue was during long hard rain storms such that the water was "sheeting" down the window. You'll notice that there is only a single weep hole in the frame under the center window. The water was actually entering the weep hole and filling up the sill channel. Also, there was a small hole in the corner where the channel meets the vertical frame member and the water was going through this hole into the sill and down to the lowest part of the frame and out onto the wall. I solved the water traveling through the frame issue by putting a small amount of caulk into each corner of the center window channel. At this point water would still enter the weep hole but now it would just collect in the sill channel. I solved that issue with of all things some duct tape. (see pictures) With the tape in place the water no longer enters the weep hole even on almost direct water flow. I'm still going to reach out to the manufacturer as this problem may be completely avoidable by using a weep hole cover so I'm going to see if there are any available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folded Duct Tape as weep hole cover 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	232930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folded Duct Tape as weep hole cover.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	232931  

Chuck & Lois
Old 07-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
A Wanderer of Deserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post

That is the same window that I have in my RV that is leaking from the top.
Houndwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndwalker View Post
That is the same window that I have in my RV that is leaking from the top.
I did seal the top and sides of the window with silicone as part of my process although that is not where the water was entering mine. I have had leaks on all my windows except for the windows in the bunk and in the bedroom slide consequently I did the silicone sealing on all those windows as well.

Chuck & Lois

Tags
leak, window, 305, 3050s