Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Reasonable time frame for factory work

We purchased a leftover 2016 Forester 2401R this June. Unfortunately, we immediately encountered a roof leak. Camper's Inn of Philadelphia was useless despite three attempts to fix it. We had some other issues as well so we contacted FR. They agreed to take it back to the factory to fix in (it was September when they told us we could get a Nov 20 appointment). Our RV was taken to FR on Nov 19. A month later, they told us they found a crack in the fiberglass top which caused the leak. Now it is 2018 and we still don't have our RV. We also don't have any date for getting it back.
So, am I not being patient enough or do I need make more noise about the length of time this is taking? Basically, we bought an RV in June, used it in July (with a few repair tries), stopped using it in August due to the leak and now it has been with FR for 6 weeks.
Advice?
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Its probably a big job if they are replacing the roof ask them how they are repairing it

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Campers View Post
We purchased a leftover 2016 Forester 2401R this June. Unfortunately, we immediately encountered a roof leak. Camper's Inn of Philadelphia was useless despite three attempts to fix it. We had some other issues as well so we contacted FR. They agreed to take it back to the factory to fix in (it was September when they told us we could get a Nov 20 appointment). Our RV was taken to FR on Nov 19. A month later, they told us they found a crack in the fiberglass top which caused the leak. Now it is 2018 and we still don't have our RV. We also don't have any date for getting it back.
So, am I not being patient enough or do I need make more noise about the length of time this is taking? Basically, we bought an RV in June, used it in July (with a few repair tries), stopped using it in August due to the leak and now it has been with FR for 6 weeks.
Advice?
My take is that you are getting free winter storage while it is being fixed. Why rush it when you don't need it until Spring? This assumes of course that you live in the Northeast, where it is currently close to zero degree's.
Trust FR to do it right.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

You can make all the noise you want. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse. We had one rig that was in the shop 7 months of the first year. Then it was problem free the rest of it's life with us. At least yours is at the factory where I would think the repair will be much better than a dealer. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Like someone else said, if you don't need it until spring why push them to get it done. I'd rather have them do it right and not be rushed rather than do a hurry up job and screw it up. I just waited 8 weeks to have new flooring installed that was damaged during manufacture. Didn't need my rig, didn't rush them, thought it took too long, but what the heck. It's done now and I couldn't be happier. Remember; "Patience is a Virtue"

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Dealer repair time

Someone dropped the ball or there is an internal fight going on over who/what department is going to be charged for the repair. In any case that amount of time is ridiculous. Send a FEDEX letter to the President of FR detailing what has happened. Some things roll downhill..... Squeaky wheels get the grease. I have had all three of my rv’s back to the factory at one point in time or another. If you let them give you the run-around...they will! RV manufacturers are some of the worlds best fire-fighters..... Manufacturing excellence, QC, and customer service
are not what they do. They deal with the fire in front of them....seldom much more so build a fire UNDER them and watch what happens.

Jim
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Campers View Post
Advice?
Keep in mind that all of the Forest River plants are closed for at least a week every December. Counting the Thanksgiving holiday and the shutdown from December 22 to now, and they've really only had your RV in for repairs about 3 weeks. Given the scope of the project and that the factories are really set up more for PRODUCTION than for REPAIRS, and IMO, you are being a tad impatient.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Factory repair

Mike,
All the factories have dedicated repair lines. They don’t do repair on a “ when time allows basis”. Secondly, they have seen just about every flaw many times.
Fixing a roof with a patch or replacing it does not take weeks. My Dynamax was back in Elkhart to have the entire aft part of the interior dried out, de-bugged and completely rebuilt. Less than three weeks. Also, FR has contractors where they send overflow repair work. Those contractors are remarkably efficient...their cash flow depends on it! These people should be a burr under the FR blanket....that will make things happen.
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Dr Travel

Get on the phone

Well, something ain't right. We had our entire roof replaced on our Rockwood (we wrecked it by driving into an overhang) in one week. As in four work days.

We approached the factory for the repair by explaining all of our situation - that we live full time in our rig; although we understood replacing a roof is not something that happens every day. They were jammed when we called, but told us to get there as fast as we could. We went out of our way to make friends with the scheduler and the repair crew "chief." They have an entire department dedicated to repairs. And while fixing our roof, they fixed several other things that were nuisance items or cosmetic, much to our surprise. Our rig came back looking brand new. which in many ways it was.

I do know that the factories are swamped keeping up with demand. They are understaffed and overworked. I'd spend some time on the phone with the person who schedules the repair work, and try to understand what they are dealing with. I have found everyone at FR to be courteous, helpful, and committed when I was polite, helpful, encouraging, provided lots of detail. They also might be running into supply problems with the volume of units they are pushing out. Be glad its at the factory, and not a dealer. Chances are it would sit for 6 months or more...

And Happy New Year to you!
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikenut View Post
My take is that you are getting free winter storage while it is being fixed. Why rush it when you don't need it until Spring? This assumes of course that you live in the Northeast, where it is currently close to zero degree's.
Trust FR to do it right.
BUT, that "free winter storage" will NOT be indoors. Feces occurs and, your rig WILL get rained and snowed on (unless the factory did a GREAT job of covering your rig to prevent even more damage).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #11

Have you inquired with FR, or only the dealer? You should find out what FR says before taking radical action.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

Well from my experience though it was with Coachman plant (Middlebury, IN) rather than FR its probably on schedule. Nov. 2, 2015 to Dec. 21, 2015
Ours was roof leak in Class C bunk. They made all repairs removing bunk fiberglass front and interior wood. Replaced some wood (floor of bunk) with new metal structure by upgrading to new material they had switched to (2012 to 2015). Also repaired any bump or nick anywhere else on unit. Had small leak in bedroom window that was repaired and all interior materials including paneling was replaced. Mine was full paint so it may have added scheduling time at plant but it was well worth the wait. Just did not want to drive Class C in salt back to Illinois so wanted to beat hard winter weather. I was lucky and had clean roads.
Photos before and after inside.
Good Luck and be patient it should be in good hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_194714.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	159402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151221_191020.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	159403  

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #13

Just an opinion 2 months this time of year is probably not unusual.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
ARLO

I agree with Oaklevel, They took our Flagstaff superlite back to the factory for a new floor and we had it back in 7 weeks. I would expect that around the holidays, it would take longer due to time off.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, frame