Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #1

Recommend Insurance Provider?

I've got a 2021 Forester 3011DS Class C. Just got my insurance renewal from Good Sam and it increased $250 to $870 a year! The only claim that I had was fixing a crack in the windshield which only required filler, not windshield replacement.
Curious what others are paying (ballpark) for full coverage of their Class C's and who the provider is?
Old 03-23-2023, 11:00 AM   #2

I use Progressive. My plan renews next month for $650 per year. I pay it all upfront. I have had no claims and I have been with them for over 5 years. I have a 17 3011 ds
Old 03-23-2023, 11:11 AM   #3

You might try Progressive. They offer a stand alone RV policy that covers my Sunseeker Class C in the state where I live. For "full coverage", I won't say my rate, but I pay a small fraction of what you were quoted at Good Sam.

That being said, where you live, how you are personally rated, where your RV is stored, your credit rating, and probably a dozen other factors can make your insurance rate far, far different than the next guy's. Also, if you stay at one company too long you can be the victim of incumbent complacency rate creep. I switch companies often, when rate changes dictate.

Don't take the "bundling can save you money" bait without researching all options and getting many quotes. I find that bundling policies at one company is very rarely the best rate option for me.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #4

I have Progressive also but not a MH buy a 5th wheel…. I will just talk about their claim process…

I let the RV lower (auto level )at the front onto a propane tank. Damaged front frame and door. Sent Progressive a claim via website one evening. They call next day to set a meeting that afternoon to make inspection and claim. They gave me a quoted repair estimate and I had a check for over $3K in my checking account the next day.

When I took to rv shop to repair they said it was going to be a little more. I sent that repair estimate to Progressive and they honored the rv shop price.

So, they stand behind their policy holders pretty well from my experience.

I’ve always heard GS is expensive?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:36 AM   #5

Thanks to all that have responded. Guess I'll be giving Progressive a call. I had them quote me earlier in the year for my truck and they didn't even come close to what I'm currently paying but perhaps it's a different story with RV? Then again, with the values of everything increased this last year/this year I suspect all of my insurances will increase.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulvey View Post
I've got a 2021 Forester 3011DS Class C. Just got my insurance renewal from Good Sam and it increased $250 to $870 a year! The only claim that I had was fixing a crack in the windshield which only required filler, not windshield replacement.
Curious what others are paying (ballpark) for full coverage of their Class C's and who the provider is?
Good Sam has a history of giving you a low price the first year, and then hitting you with some crazy increase on renewal, I have leveraged that to my advantage twice now on new RV purchases, and both times have switched to Progressive from year 2 on.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks to all that have responded. Guess I'll be giving Progressive a call. I had them quote me earlier in the year for my truck and they didn't even come close to what I'm currently paying but perhaps it's a different story with RV? Then again, with the values of everything increased this last year/this year I suspect all of my insurances will increase.

At least where I live I can get a customized Progressive motorhome quote online. They recognized my Sunseeker model and even assigned it an accurate current value. Progressive may or may not be a good value for you; as always, YMMV.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #8

Darling wife is an insurance agent and Progressive is her "go to" for RVs. They have great coverage and from personal experience, claims process is seamless.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #9

I went online to Progressive and input my info. Quote displayed was only slightly lower that what Good Sam wants to charge me at renewal however I was able to remove some of the bells and whistles from Progressive quote which still keeps it as full coverage to satisfy the lender but reduced the premium by a few hundred dollars. Will most likely move to Progressive when time to renew.
Thanks again for everyones input.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
I went online to Progressive and input my info. Quote displayed was only slightly lower that what Good Sam wants to charge me at renewal however I was able to remove some of the bells and whistles from Progressive quote which still keeps it as full coverage to satisfy the lender but reduced the premium by a few hundred dollars. Will most likely move to Progressive when time to renew.
Thanks again for everyones input.
Wow, Progressive significantly lower than my current. But they don't show GAP insurance. Guess I will call and see if GAP is available.
laprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:43 PM   #11
Scoundrel

Its worth it to drop Good Sam just to stop getting all their mail....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprez View Post
Wow, Progressive significantly lower than my current. But they don't show GAP insurance. Guess I will call and see if GAP is available.
I never heard of GAP insurance so I had to look it up. I learned something today. I guess it is unnecessary unless you are upside down on a loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Its worth it to drop Good Sam just to stop getting all their mail....
I wish it was that easy. I’ve never bought Good Sam insurance and the mail still won’t stop.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #13

We have Erie for everything our vehicles, our travel trailer, and our homeowners. It's worth looking at them if you can get them in your state. With full tort, it worked out to still be cheaper than I was paying with Progressive.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:25 PM   #14

Quote:
My progressive quote for a 2022 2860DS comes in around 900 a year. I probably can play with the limits and bring it down. Definitely less than what I am currently paying.

I also checked Good Sam price - around 900 for 6 months.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Are you military, military retiree, veteran or related to someone who is? If so investigate USAA. My bill with them is $1250 per six months but that's for:

2022 Ram 2500
2021 Infiniti Qx50
2014 Corvette
2022 Rockwood 2608BS
2019 Polaris Snowmobile
Triton Enclosed snowmobile trailer
RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:25 PM   #16

I have Allstate and they have been ok except for the rate of policy price increases. The troubling thing here with comparing policies is the different vehicle types, the location where you call home and your claim record. Probably more, so I don't hold much value in these discussions.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I have Allstate and they have been ok except for the rate of policy price increases. The troubling thing here with comparing policies is the different vehicle types, the location where you call home and your claim record. Probably more, so I don't hold much value in these discussions.
This discussion made me look up Progressive. My quote for Auto and RV is around 50 per cent of what I am currently paying. Homeowners is around the same. Only problem is no gap with Progressive.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
This discussion made me look up Progressive. My quote for Auto and RV is around 50 per cent of what I am currently paying. Homeowners is around the same. Only problem is no gap with Progressive.
The problem with GAP is if you're paid ahead on the loan, they'll only pay the remaining balance. As was said previously by someone, it's only good if you;re upside down with the loan (owing more than the vehicle is worth.)
Old 03-31-2023, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamManMN View Post
Are you military, military retiree, veteran or related to someone who is? If so investigate USAA. My bill with them is $1250 per six months but that's for:

2022 Ram 2500
2021 Infiniti Qx50
2014 Corvette
2022 Rockwood 2608BS
2019 Polaris Snowmobile
Triton Enclosed snowmobile trailer
Yes, I am prior military. I've checked USAA years past for auto and home and wasn't impressed but I may need to check again. I might be surprised. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
It would seem like a no-brainer for a person to cut the Auto and RV insurance costs in half and just forgo the gap coverage, but everyone has different needs and desires when it comes to insurance.

Tags
insurance