Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #1

Question Recommendation for replacing split mattress

Hello,
We are purchasing a used sunseeker in just a couple days. I am new to anything and everything RV related. The unit had a queen bed slide and I am wanting to replace the mattress. When the slide is in, the mattress is “folded”. I am curious and nervous as to how to buy a mattress for this. When I look online mattresses that say they are for rvs don’t becessarily say they fold, yet some come in boxes. Is there any particular type of mattress I need or should stay away from?
I am also wanting to replace the cushions for the bunk area above the drivers seat. Any idea if I can order those?
What is current there is in great condition but the previous owners have dogs that are actively in the unit, and my daughter is terribly service to dogs and has very bad asthma, so we are wanting to replace these surfaces just as a precaution.
Thanks in advance!
Jonsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

Recommendation for replacing split mattress

We purchased our mattress from mattress insider last year and are very happy with it. I am sure they do hinged mattress.
Here is a link to a discussion on where to buy a mattress.
As the attic bunk goes, I would look at unzipping the cover and washing it. To replace the foam, look to your local upholster shop.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ss-153321.html
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Our 2016 2250 main bed has a split mattress. The split is angled, so the upper half slides up over the top of the lower (foot) half. Both halves have vinyl/fabric sides and bottoms, the top is fabric. It appears they were assembled & sewn with no access to remove the foam. The lower half is snapped to the floor of the slide, so it stays put in respect to the base.

If you really need to replace the mattress rather than give it a good cleaning, perhaps someone like the foamfactory.com or foambymail.com (same outfit) can help. We've replaced our seat cushions using foam from this business. You'll still need to make new covers, or have covers made. Be prepared - foam is expensive.

Regarding the seat cushions and overhead mattress, you could possibly zip off the covers and run them through the washer. That is, if they are in serviceable shape.

Good luck in whatever you do - but please, let us know what you did & how it came out.

On a personal note, I'd walk away from a unit that had been smoked in, and most likely would walk away from a unit that housed dogs. I've spent way too many years fixing things destroyed by other's dogs.

Smoke is almost impossible to remove, there will always be a faint smell.

That said, I realize there are a lot of dog owners out there. Kudos to you and your pup if it doesn't damage anything.

Smokers?? There is no excuse for it in this day and age.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Team

The mattress that you get in a box needs to be unrolled wand expand prior to use. Once they are opened, they will never go back in a box or fold.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Split mattress

I have a coachmen leprechaun with the queen in the back slide out. I could not find anything in web searches on rv mattresses to replace. I finally called coachmen and was told that must be ordered from a coachmen or forest river dealer and order. There are 4 and 9 inch mattresses. Unless you want a really hard bed, you will want to check out the 9 inch. The 4 inch is really hard and would need a foam topper to make bearable

Old_hippies
2016 Coachmen leprechaun 260dsc
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker