Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Refrig on or off?

Sorry if this has been discussed... I have my hard wired shore power project done (with a GE 50/30/20 amp box) for the coach, so if you had 24/7 shore power would you leave the refrig on all the time or shut it down between trips? Any reasons not to leave the coach always powered and "hot"?

Thanks....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I leave my camper plugged in 24/7 while at home.
I dont leave my fridge going unless I need it.
Just the way I do it.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Most RV refrigerators do not have self defrost capability, so by keeping it on all the time it may decrease the space avail for those pizza rolls. It may be best to turn the refrig off when not using for some time to let the ice melt, keeping the cooling more efficient as well as helping to keep the odors at bay. A few days before your trip, turn the fridge back on to cool it for your supplies.
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoRock View Post
Most RV refrigerators do not have self defrost capability, so by keeping it on all the time it may decrease the space avail for those pizza rolls. It may be best to turn the refrig off when not using for some time to let the ice melt, keeping the cooling more efficient as well as helping to keep the odors at bay. A few days before your trip, turn the fridge back on to cool it for your supplies.
Lol I was thinking breaded cauliflower !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Leave mine on from the day I buy the RV to the day I sell it, whether on shore power, generator power or gas. With the exception of occasional defrosting. Never had a glitch with any of them. We use the MH all the time, so it doesn't pay to turn it off.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

We keep ours off but will turn it on night b4 a trip or early morning day of trip if we are leaving later. For me the only reason why is why run up the electic bill if we are not using it..
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #7

We leave our unit running all the time.....the important thing is to make sure it is level.....our fridge is on the side....so front to rear never more than 1/2 bubble....also try to keep side to side 1/2 bubble.....but not as critical for me as front to rear....if fridge in front or rear then side to side probably more critical than front to rear....we also seem to always have something in fridge too...with freezer stocked and ready to go....so can just take stuff out of house fridge and go......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

I leave the trailer powered up 24/7 (except when towing), and leave the fridge running 24/7. There is numerous discussion on here, and in the RV world in general, about leaving the fridges running. The common theme is the anti-corrosion material in the ammonia will settle and harden if you power down the fridge for long periods. Thus when you power up the fridge it break free plug the pipes and cause a blow-out (much like a blood clot). Having said that, there will be many responses from people who claim they have never had a problem. So it is hard to get a definitive answer one way or the other. The settled anti-corrosive material makes complete sense to me, so I leave mine running to prevent problems... I have close friends on both sides of the debate as well. Some do, some don't, (although the do's outnumber the don'ts) they both report never having a problem.

I store the trailer at home, I have power, I use it to my advantage. I leave the camper fully stocked and ready to roll at a moments notice. Makes for some fun, last minute getaways without having to wait for the fridge to cool down.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #9

Never thought about leaving it plugged in all the time with the frig on. I guess you in leave your battery switch on all the time when plugged in?
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I leave the trailer powered up 24/7 (except when towing), and leave the fridge running 24/7. There is numerous discussion on here, and in the RV world in general, about leaving the fridges running. The common theme is the anti-corrosion material in the ammonia will settle and harden if you power down the fridge for long periods. Thus when you power up the fridge it break free plug the pipes and cause a blow-out (much like a blood clot). Having said that, there will be many responses from people who claim they have never had a problem. So it is hard to get a definitive answer one way or the other. The settled anti-corrosive material makes complete sense to me, so I leave mine running to prevent problems... I have close friends on both sides of the debate as well. Some do, some don't, (although the do's outnumber the don'ts) they both report never having a problem.

I store the trailer at home, I have power, I use it to my advantage. I leave the camper fully stocked and ready to roll at a moments notice. Makes for some fun, last minute getaways without having to wait for the fridge to cool down.

Hmmm...I've never heard of that one.

I leave mine off when in storage and even when traveling.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #11

My dealer said leave the refrigerator off when stored. His concern was stress on the electric heating element. He even when to so far as to suggest using propane on startup to initially cool the unit down first to limit stress on the element.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

I've heard what PapaSmurf mentioned before. Been years ago, but I think that may be one of the reasons we've always left ours on. People seem to have success either way, but I'm sticking with leaving it on. Like PapaSmurf, there are times we just up and say, lets go, and it's ready.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
MI Camperz

We keep ours on 6 mos. a year basically. Seasonal.
Is there anything "technical" I should know?
I almost dread the answer as I just swam upsteam through purchasing a surge protector.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #14

Starting in about '02 or '03 through at least 2010 there have been numerous recalls on various models of Dometic and Norcold refrigerators due to fire hazard. For this reason alone I personally wouldn't leave my fridge on for days at time while I was away. Just my 2 cents.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
MI Camperz

We're only away when we go to work. We commute from our CG. We have pets we dearly love. Well, I love the puppy, not the bird...but that's a different discussion. LOL
What should I do? Good Heavens, a fire could kill people.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
We're only away when we go to work. We commute from our CG. We have pets we dearly love. Well, I love the puppy, not the bird...but that's a different discussion. LOL
What should I do?
Leave the fridge on, pet the dog, open a window for the bird.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
MI Camperz

Guess, number one, check into the recall. Thanks. Sometimes I get lazy and don't use my own common sense.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Graduate Member

When we first started (Aug '12), we turned it off after each trip. We travel at least once per month.

That was ok, but it was a pain to remember to leave the fridge door cracked otherwise you get mildew.

The bigger pain was cleaning the mildew. Twice.

After seeing similar threads, I decided to give the whole "leave it on" thing a try.

Total breeze. I can also stock the fridge as I think of it, and not try to pack/organize/think of meals/get meals/pack in fridge the day before.

I think the best advice is - either way won't damage your stuff, so choose what fits you best. For us and camping so frequently - this just works.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #19

I've got 30Amp power at my house that I use when we're getting ready to go on a trip and when we get back to run the fridge, lights, and A\C if needed. I usually turn our fridge on a couple days before we go on a trip so it can get cold and we can take food out to the camper as we think about it. I store my camper in my dad's warehouse to keep it out of the weather and I have not installed a 30amp receptacle in there yet to keep it plugged up all the time.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote