Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

Refrigerator Door

I’ve recently encountered a problem with the right side refrigerator door coming open while driving. The latching mechanism does appear to have weakened over time but is still serviceable. I do have a new spare handle but prefer not to use it until the current handle actually fails or breaks (which it will).

Looking for suggestions on securing the door. Maybe some sort of strap that doesn’t make the area look like a cargo carrier?
Old 04-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I’ve recently encountered a problem with the right side refrigerator door coming open while driving. The latching mechanism does appear to have weakened over time but is still serviceable. I do have a new spare handle but prefer not to use it until the current handle actually fails or breaks (which it will).

Looking for suggestions on securing the door. Maybe some sort of strap that doesn’t make the area look like a cargo carrier?
Sounds to me like the current handle/latch has actually failed and that's the event you were waiting for to install the new handle you have. Just put the new one on. I can understand trying to rig something up until a replacement shows up, but you have one.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
COYS

fixed mine

I found the plastic catch mechanism (at the back of the latch) needed to engage by springing the handle out slightly - I whittled a champagne cork to ~1/4" wide and push this into the gap between the handles when driving, this keeps the latch engaged and no more swinging door! Its kind of like the opposite of when you put the extra plastic piece in to keep the doors cracked during storage, albeit less professional. YMMV
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Sounds to me like the current handle/latch has actually failed and that's the event you were waiting for to install the new handle you have. Just put the new one on. I can understand trying to rig something up until a replacement shows up, but you have one.
Sorta correct but failure of the latch means (to me) the door swings freely. Or, the moving portion of the handle actually breaks off. In my case the door only opens when making a slightly aggressive right turn.

The handles are not cheap, and the shipping charges are more than the handle cost, so I prefer to wait until the handle completely fails.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clives View Post
I found the plastic catch mechanism (at the back of the latch) needed to engage by springing the handle out slightly - I whittled a champagne cork to ~1/4" wide and push this into the gap between the handles when driving, this keeps the latch engaged and no more swinging door! Its kind of like the opposite of when you put the extra plastic piece in to keep the doors cracked during storage, albeit less professional. YMMV
Problem fixed. Rather than using cork I glued a clear rubber type bumper on the left door handle which applies just enough pressure to move the right handle latch to operate as designed.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #6

I had this issue when we fist bought ours and fixed it myself. I uploaded a brief video on YouTube explaining what I did for ours.

https://youtu.be/pqgPEtsXCIY

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
ChucknBecky

Had the door came open once on us and I fashioned a simple 2 piece lock out of an old cutting board I had laying around. I have replaced all 4 of the door handles (new ones are different part number and seem to be stiffer than the original) but I still do not trust them while driving with the doors loaded up for a trip. Part of our check list for getting under way.
Attached Images

lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, refrigerator