Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Remounting Stabilizer Jacks higher

Just bought a slightly used 2021 Forester 3011DS with stabilizer jacks. I am blessed that my house has a large driveway however is has a fairly steep incline. My problem is that my stabilizer jacks hit the road before my back wheels begin driving up the driveway. Bottom line is I can't get my RV in my driveway. I crawled underneath and it appears that I can raise the back stabilizers about 2" fairly easily. Not certain if this is enough but??? Installation says they should be at least 6" above street and I think I've read somewhere that they have 13" travel. So, at 6" above street that leaves 7" travel. If I raise them 2" that would leave me 5" travel. I feel that would be enough for most situations but figured I ask those with more experience than I concerning stabilizers on Class C's as well as if someone may be able to recommend an another solution.

PS - I did air up the air bags but I don't believe they make a difference in ground clearance of stabilizer jacks. Air bags raise the coach, not the frame and the stabilizers are mounted to the frame.

Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #2

If you raise them up you'll have to plan on using blocks of some kind when you deploy them. Stabilizer jacks become more unstable as they're extended farther.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
law

I experience some scraping when I pull in and out of my driveway. I have learned that going at an angle and getting one of the back wheels up on the driveway prevents the rear from dragging. I am backing in at a 45 degree angle and doing the same thing when I pull out.
Typically it is the stinger for my toad or hitch that drags.
The jacks on my rig are only about 10-12 inches from the rear axle.
if you are hitting the jacks, that is one steep drive.
If it is just a dip you might dry putting some 2x6 boards down to flatten the dip.
Just a few less invasive suggestions before moving the jacks up. There might be more issues besides losing two inches of lift after moving the jacks.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:39 AM   #4

Remounting Stabilizer Jacks higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by law View Post
…If it is just a dip you might dry putting some 2x6 boards down to flatten the dip.

X2 that suggestion. A quick, simple and low cost option that has worked well for us when needed.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulvey View Post
Just bought a slightly used 2021 Forester 3011DS with stabilizer jacks. I am blessed that my house has a large driveway however is has a fairly steep incline. My problem is that my stabilizer jacks hit the road before my back wheels begin driving up the driveway. Bottom line is I can't get my RV in my driveway. I crawled underneath and it appears that I can raise the back stabilizers about 2" fairly easily. Not certain if this is enough but??? Installation says they should be at least 6" above street and I think I've read somewhere that they have 13" travel. So, at 6" above street that leaves 7" travel. If I raise them 2" that would leave me 5" travel. I feel that would be enough for most situations but figured I ask those with more experience than I concerning stabilizers on Class C's as well as if someone may be able to recommend an another solution.

PS - I did air up the air bags but I don't believe they make a difference in ground clearance of stabilizer jacks. Air bags raise the coach, not the frame and the stabilizers are mounted to the frame.

I find it odd that "airing up the Bags" does NOT raise the Frame! Youroo!!
Old 05-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:

You said stabilizer jacks but my comments assume you have hydraulic leveling jacks.

The air bags sit between the rear axle and the frame. The leveling jacks are mounted to the frame. When the air bags expand, the jacks are raised with respect to the ground. The “problem” is that the air bags don’t make a very significant increase in frame ride height.

Measure the rear jack height difference with the air bags inflated at 5 and 100 psi. You may find jack ground clearance to be around 2 inches different, but it may well not be the height increase you are looking for.

Another solution, albeit an expensive one, is to install the LiquidSpring rear suspension. With it you can raise and lower the rear end on demand over an approximately 8 inch range (or more depending on you coach’s rear overhang) as measured at the hitch receiver. It offers more potential frame height adjustment than the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags.

I would suggest you just raise the jacks in their mounts, and when needed put blocks under them in leveling situations that require it.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Most folks that hit their jacks are either backing into a spot with a stop block or driving off road. When that happens, more often than not, there will be damage to the pad, shaft or mounting bracket. None of those are good things. I suggest you look and measure your ground clearance while you are crawling around. You also might want to look at your skid bars on the hitch as well as the receiver. I think that is what would be much more likely to scrape on a 3011.

As for raising the jacks. That is 4 bolt easy. You will still have full travel but may need to add lumber or leggos under the pad if you need more lift. In either case, you never want to jack your rear wheels off the ground.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #8

Just wondering what the normal clearance for the levelling jacks is or should be. When my 3011DS is parked on flat level ground, the clearance from the bottom of the retracted jack pads to the ground is about 6". I don't think I have hit anything with them yet but they just look low to me. Is 6" a normal or adequate clearance?
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
When my 3011DS is parked on flat level ground, the clearance from the bottom of the retracted jack pads to the ground is about 6". I don't think I have hit anything with them yet but they just look low to me. Is 6" a normal or adequate clearance?
I measured 8" clearance with the Ride-Rites on my 3011DS at 32 psi.
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
Just wondering what the normal clearance for the levelling jacks is or should be. When my 3011DS is parked on flat level ground, the clearance from the bottom of the retracted jack pads to the ground is about 6". I don't think I have hit anything with them yet but they just look low to me. Is 6" a normal or adequate clearance?
You should probably be very specific in your request and include the manufacturer of your jacks. It’s my understanding that FR has used two or more jack vendors over the years. People will probably respond without specifying the model year of their 3011DS, and/or what make of jacks they have, and you can get measurements that are not applicable to your unit.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:

Not sure what version of Air Bags are installed on the 2021 vehicles but my 2016 3011 has Firestone Ride Rite air bags and they are definitely installed between the frame and suspension and should lift both the frame and coach body together. (see attached) It may not seem like there is much lift but that will depend on the model of RV and the weight of the load in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride Rite 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	253963  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #12

Learning experience

I've owned a few travel trailers and a 5th wheel but am a newbie to the Class C world and I did learn a few things.

Unlike the air bags that I installed on my truck which had a single fill valve, the bags on the 3011 have a fill valve for the left as well as a fill valve for the right.

I filled BOTH sides up to 100lbs and was able to get the rig into my driveway. The levelers still had approx 1 1/2 to 2 inches of clearance but the "scrapers" below the hitch did scrape for approx 5 feet before the back tires began up the incline.

Thank you for all of your input and recommendations. With our Class C up in our driveway not, we're Happy Campers!
Old 05-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
I've owned a few travel trailers and a 5th wheel but am a newbie to the Class C world and I did learn a few things.

Unlike the air bags that I installed on my truck which had a single fill valve, the bags on the 3011 have a fill valve for the left as well as a fill valve for the right.

I filled BOTH sides up to 100lbs and was able to get the rig into my driveway. The levelers still had approx 1 1/2 to 2 inches of clearance but the "scrapers" below the hitch did scrape for approx 5 feet before the back tires began up the incline.

Thank you for all of your input and recommendations. With our Class C up in our driveway not, we're Happy Campers!
Glad you could figure out way to get in the driveway. Happy Camping is why we are all here!

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, mount, stabilizer