Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Replacement Door Lock?

I guess we need a replacement door lock for our 3051. Last year we were locked out, got lucky got in without breaking a window. We ordered a replacement part (said better than new because it wasn't plastic) it worked great for about a year. Last weekend I was locked in, had to take the lock apart and close with the key for the week.

I looked at the RVLock but not sure I want to go with something sized different since we have full body paint, and I don't like the idea of the handle being missing on the inside. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good door lock for a Forester 3051? Preferably one that will only lock when I want it, I don't mind using a key, just want it to work.

Thank you for any ideas.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Are you saying that you broke the replacement stainless steel latch that you got from latchfix.com last year?
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Are you saying that you broke the replacement stainless steel latch that you got from latchfix.com last year?
I'm not exactly sure, I was under the impression that it was a different part, but I could be wrong. Honestly we were more concerned with how to keep the door closed after taking it apart so the dogs would stay in.

I guess I was hoping for a better lock than the one it came with. I have learned the hard way to leave a key outside. Sure doesn't seem very safe knowing most people have to hide a key outside because of being locked out.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #4

Replacement Door Lock?

Hope your problem is soon resolved. FWIW, to help avoid a lockout challenge, we secured a sturdy residential combination lockbox in a concealed space near the propane tank. As we have a Class C, we simply placed a single functional drivers door / ignition key inside the lockbox, so we can both get inside -and- drive home should the unthinkable occur.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #5

Might try CH751.com. They have pretty good selection for RV locks. I’m looking to key all my locks alike, door included.

Phoenix 298RLS
2500 Ram Crew 4X4
DW & 3 pups
Ret LE 07/19
D Sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Sgt View Post
Might try CH751.com. They have pretty good selection for RV locks. Im looking to key all my locks alike, door included.
I believe your reference is for compartment and trailer door locks. The subject here is a Motorhome house entry door lock.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow57 View Post
I'm not exactly sure, I was under the impression that it was a different part, but I could be wrong. Honestly we were more concerned with how to keep the door closed after taking it apart so the dogs would stay in.

I guess I was hoping for a better lock than the one it came with. I have learned the hard way to leave a key outside. Sure doesn't seem very safe knowing most people have to hide a key outside because of being locked out.
10-4. I replaced my pot metal trimark with the rvlock. I have FBP as well and there is a small area outside of the contour of the housing that is visible. I chose function over form for all the reasons you mentioned.

I also went the concealed key route as M Brian suggested as an added measure. I did not use a hide a key.

I will try to get a photo next trip out to storage.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #8

External Door Lock

Shadow,

I had the same situation with our Forester 2861DS last year. It's the side access door to the main body of the RV. It has 2 key holes, one for dead bolt, the other for latch. The unit seized up last year and I managed to get a screwdriver in the gears to free up the door. We've been locking from the inside and crawling through the cab all year. It's about time I replace the lock unit. Do you or anyone on in the forum have a suggestion/wesite for a replacement unit?

Thanks,

Rick
Richard C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #9

On the 3D view for the Forester Classic 3051S, the "house" side door appears to have the standard RV lock on it. This is the lock that came on my previous trailer from the factory, and I just upgraded my existing trailer's lock to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CJ1OZ4
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
On the 3D view for the Forester Classic 3051S, the "house" side door appears to have the standard RV lock on it. This is the lock that came on my previous trailer from the factory, and I just upgraded my existing trailer's lock to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CJ1OZ4
Appearances are deceiving. The key word is trailer. Maybe that is why your link reads trailer and why it fit your trailer and why it is inappropriate for a Motorhome.

Tags
door, lock, replacement