Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Replacement for Jackknife sofa

We have a 3170DS with the sofa in the slide behind the drivers seat. Want to take that one out and put it out of my misery. That is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture ever. My thoughts are a double recliner or theatre seats. The problem is that the ledge for the slide, and where the sofa sits, is only 21 1/2 " deep. Any ideas to make this more comfortable would be great! Just finished our second long trip, 17,000 miles since we bought it in Mar 13.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Foot stool maybe? So it's more recliner like. Honestly, though, I don't think the couch is all that bad!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Honestly, though, I don't think the couch is all that bad!
X2

We have certainly had worse furniture in our TT. In our experience if the sofa was comfortable it was too complex to convert it to a bed.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Commercial Member

There are a few RV furniture places online that does stuff like that.

I know Williamsburg builds recliners for slide floors (short little legs so they set low and your feet rest on the floor like normal) but I don't know if they have a retail site.

Williamsburg Furniture Inc.

Flexxteel probably has something like that too.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

I agree - that couch/bed is a torture rack.
Meant only to inflict pain on a body.
I have decided to replace it with two wall hugger recliner.
There are a few company's that make them for RV's.
A Google search will give you many options.
Because it is a slider there is several inches of clearance to
bolt/secure the recliner to the slider floor.
The couch is secured to the floor - so why not a recliner?
Check out - Glastop RV Furniture.com
I'll be ordering two wall hugger's in the next few weeks.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Good Luck.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Let me know what you find. We have a 2011 3010DS and I agree that the sofa is really awful. The metal bars poke through and it doesn't matter how you sit you can feel them. I have been looking around for a while trying to find a replacement. I like the idea of recliner seats too.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Try This Site:
www.glastop.com/rv-furniture-products.asp?id=70
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I talked to my Williamsburg rep and he said most of their stuff for retails go through Factory Surplus in Elkhart. They have the staff to handle the requests.

Factory RV Surplus

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Forest River Accessories

You can also purchase La-Z-Boy recreation furniture through our accessories division here at FR. You can send me a message for more information.
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

I removed the sofa and replaced it with 2 small LazyBoy wall hugger recliners. They fit tight but nicely on the raised slide. I secured them and also screwed a piece of angle iron on the front edge of the raised slide in front of the chairs to prevent the chairs from moving forward off the slide. The wooden chair legs screwed nicely into the screws in the angle iron to further secure the chairs.

I also moved the TV and placed it on a wall mount directly above the door so it was directly in front of the chairs. The wiring was just long enough.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I removed the sofa and replaced it with 2 small LazyBoy wall hugger recliners. They fit tight but nicely on the raised slide. I secured them and also screwed a piece of angle iron on the front edge of the raised slide in front of the chairs to prevent the chairs from moving forward off the slide. The wooden chair legs screwed nicely into the screws in the angle iron to further secure the chairs. I also moved the TV and placed it on a wall mount directly above the door so it was directly in front of the chairs. The wiring was just long enough.
Please post pictures of your upgrade.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I removed the sofa and replaced it with 2 small LazyBoy wall hugger recliners. They fit tight but nicely on the raised slide. I secured them and also screwed a piece of angle iron on the front edge of the raised slide in front of the chairs to prevent the chairs from moving forward off the slide. The wooden chair legs screwed nicely into the screws in the angle iron to further secure the chairs. I also moved the TV and placed it on a wall mount directly above the door so it was directly in front of the chairs. The wiring was just long enough.
these are Tom's pictures of his couch to recliner Mod and his TV relocation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3004399456.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	42994   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4020508338.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	42995  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

We have a 2300 SunSeeker and I wanted to replace the U shaped dinette with a love seat, wall hugger recliner. I noticed that on one of the 5th wheels that FR manufactures the love seat, wall hugger was manufactured by Lane furniture. Has any removed a U shaped dinette and how difficult is it? I did notice that the seat belt bolts going through the floor had nuts attached under the coach. Some were accessible and a couple were inside the spray foam insulation. Also should I be concerned about weight distribution? Thanks for a response!
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #14

I have a 2013 3010DS and we opted to replace the sofa with a Lazy Boy, Love Seat, double recliner, Carter model. The opening on the slide is 66" and the love seat recliner is 65" wide. Fits nice. I was able to secure the love seat to the slide platform using sheet metal screws thru the metal frame. The love seat had a 7" to 8 " overhang on the front of the slide platform and I fabricated a 2"x4" brace with 3 rollers attached and works great with the movement of the slide.
bobrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement