Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Replacing OEM couch with a Recliner

My new to me 2018 2860DS came with the most God awful couch known to man.. Not sure who at Forest River thought that releasing the leg rest and not reclining would be a comfortable position to sit in if you're over 5 ft tall. New furniture at RV related sites is out of our budget. Wondering if any of ya'll have used home furniture used or new, any one in the DFW area with info on used furniture stores would be helpful... I will do research myself in the hunt for a replacement but help is always appreciated
billcrews81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
USAF Retired

We buy from furniture stores. We measure our space; consider stowing for travel when looking at size and get "wall Hugger" models. We have NEVER kept the soft in any of our as they are all horrid and we don't have family that travels with us.
Peppercatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppercatt View Post
We buy from furniture stores. We measure our space; consider stowing for travel when looking at size and get "wall Hugger" models. We have NEVER kept the soft in any of our as they are all horrid and we don't have family that travels with us.
X2.
Just be sure the replacement furniture breaks down enough to go through your door, make sure it’s a wall hugger design (space inside any RV is limited) and be sure it allows you to pass by when it’s closed for travel. Passage when you’re reclining is not as critical. Secure to the floor as needed.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:04 AM   #4

I replaced the sofa in our 2021 Forest River Forester LE with a set of double recliners from RecPro. The removal of the sofa and install of the recliner was easy.
RVnewbieFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbieFl View Post
I replaced the sofa in our 2021 Forest River Forester LE with a set of double recliners from RecPro. The removal of the sofa and install of the recliner was easy.
We did the same thing with our old PT 325RES. We actually bought two sets. Both the Sofa and the two Swivel Recliners had that bonded leather junk and were peeling like a bad sunburn after about a year. The RecPro ones worked great. They were still in greaty shape when we traded it in. In the Sofa Slide out I had to modify the mounting place so that they could fully recline.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #6

We replaced our jack knife with recliners and console from RecPro.

Three years and not a whole lot of use, the backs are starting to peel.

Recpro offered to sell us just the backs.

Would not go with leather from there if we were to do it again.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We replaced our jack knife with recliners and console from RecPro.

Three years and not a whole lot of use, the backs are starting to peel.

Recpro offered to sell us just the backs.

Would not go with leather from there if we were to do it again.
I also would not recommend RecPro, at least not their Charles 70" Dual Recliner which fits our 2860DS perfectly.

I love it for comfort but the surface is deteriorating and one lower leg area the foam is breaking down. Where edges are rolled at the ends of arm rests the material is cracked and holes are opening up. Flat surface areas appear to be wearing abnormally.

Had ours installed in the fall of 2019, I keep them covered when not in use, and they've only been used 6-8 weeks at most in the last 2 seasons.

I'll put up with it awhile longer as I am considering trading it in but if not I'll buy another brand and it won't be Recpro

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #8

Check out my post:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f232/replacing-jackknife-w-thomas-payne-seismic-theater-seating-254641.html.

I just install the recliner two months ago.

I am planning on moving the recliner back one inch to give more room to walk by when the slides are in.

They are real comfortable. One thing I do is to have are shades down when parked to keep the sunlight off the furniture.

I have a 3K inverter so I purchased the full electric recliner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner 20220724_111302.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	279098
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

thanks to everyone who responded. lots of ideas to look at now.
billcrews81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

I want to add that our new 5ver has Thomas Paine furniture and we spend 5 and a half months a year on the road. So taking into account that we have a total of 9 and a half months usage on the furniture (a loveseat recliner set and two sofas) and no problems.