Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

replacing slide topper

have to replase my slide topper as the old one was ripped by wind storm. Is this a diy or do you need the dealer to replase it. Campers World sells the replacement , but how difficult is it to put one.might be a two man job thank you in advance oldnewguy
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #2

Assuming you're comfortable with DIY projects, this is definitely DIY, Lots of good youtube videos that show how to do it. I'd check around on prices before buying from Camper World. Two people may make it easier, but it's not necessary.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

slide topper

I recently replaced one on my Sunseeker 3010 DS. It was easy. I watched a couple You Tube videos. It took a half hour or so to complete. Try pricing it from e trailer out of Wentzville, MO. I save a bunch of money on mine buying it there.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

I replaced both slide toppers last year. With the help of my son. You need a helper to pin roller tube, feed new material, and unpin the roller tube - at the very least.

My greatest challenge was finding the hole in the roller tube to put a pin. On my Dometic/A&E slide topper the pin hole is only visible when my eyes are horizontal with roller tube - then, aha! there it is. For a pin, I took an old metal wire curtain holder and snipped it apart making a couple of 3-4" pins.

Once you get the old material off, I highly recommend cleaning the slide out room top, rubber seals, check for any loose screws, and then recaulk all the seams including the ones above and on the horizontal rubber sweep. Treat the seals of course.

You cant get to these items without the material off and the last time it was done was when the topper was installed. Both my slide outs developed leaks at the top and that's what prompted me to replace my material which was looking ragged on the edges anyway after 13 years

From setup to cleanup 1 slide will take you 3-4 hours. The actual material takeoff and installation is about 30 minutes if it's your first time.

YouTube and installation instructions are your friend.

Oh, replace your anti billow arms while you are at it. And check if they are installed with pop rivets or if you need pop rivets, I did and I had to buy a pop rivet gun which I found out are notoriously bad. Mine would not eject my second rivet and I just threw it out as it was impossible to extract the rivet.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #5

slide topper

I have the topper off, where did you find an awning 265 long by 45 wide to fit the coach. on my the rain spout is in the way to get the awning out of the track did watch youtube but no luck on how to get around that
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Toughtopawnings.com is where I got both of mine from. Their website tells you how to measure and order the material and supplies you may need.

Your downspout will have to be removed to slide the new material spline into the rail. Not everyone has downspouts. I took this opportunity to buy bigger downspouts with longer extensions. I was not able to remove either existing downspout without damaging them. They're cheap and easily installed with caulk and a screw.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #7

My rain spout was in the way when I replaced mine and didn't want to remove it so I spread the track just enough on one end to slide the awning bead out. I then slide the new one in and squeezed the track back where it was. Can't even tell by looking at it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

Sunseeker16,

That works too.

Chris

Tags
slide