Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

Ride Rite Inflating Issue

My right side air bag will not take any air. When I put my air hose onto the stem I can't even hear any air trying to go in. I did call the dealer and the technician stated that it sounds like a bad valve stem core and it probably needs to be replaced. Has anyone else had this problem?
Kmbarker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

It is quite possible it is the stem core valve.
They can be easily damaged when applying air with some air chucks.

Easy to check or replace.... I lost my valve cap with the built in valve core remover... so I used a hemostat...worked great.

My 5th spare tire started loosing air.... when I looked at the valve core it was bent... no way I could put air into the tire.
I use a heavy duty air chuck , one I got for airing up my dually tires...I'm pretty sure that it was this air chuck that bent the valve core on my 5th spare.
When air chucks get worn the center piece gets rounded off and the valve stem core may slip to the side when pressure is applied and often bend.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Any auto parts store has the inserts/cores and a cap to remove it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses. I will replace the core tonight.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmbarker8 View Post
My right side air bag will not take any air. When I put my air hose onto the stem I can't even hear any air trying to go in. I did call the dealer and the technician stated that it sounds like a bad valve stem core and it probably needs to be replaced. Has anyone else had this problem?
We had this problem also on the driver's side airbag and had to replace the valve stem.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

I had the same problem and turned out that the stem did not stick out enough and the inflating chuck contacted the nut holding the stem to the wall of the storage compartment before the core inside the stem was opened. The wall of the storage compartment where the stem is located is too thick to accommodate the two washers and nut holding the stem, so I removed the washer under the nut and it worked fine.

I later relocated the stems to be easier to reach and solved the thick wall issue by drilling a large hole for the entire stem to pass thru and using a thin sheet metal cover to mount the stem.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
I had the same problem and turned out that the stem did not stick out enough and the inflating chuck contacted the nut holding the stem to the wall of the storage compartment before the core inside the stem was opened. The wall of the storage compartment where the stem is located is too thick to accommodate the two washers and nut holding the stem, so I removed the washer under the nut and it worked fine.

I later relocated the stems to be easier to reach and solved the thick wall issue by drilling a large hole for the entire stem to pass thru and using a thin sheet metal cover to mount the stem.
This is the same problem I had. The valve stem was too short. The inflation chuck contacted the mounting frame before the valve stem was pushed in far enough. I needed to remove the washer, which allowed the stem to be extended and all was well.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Wait till next year...

Just to be different I had a kink in the tubing to the Ride Rite Drivers side. Installer had wire tied a big coil and stuffed it into the chassis. Had plenty of tubing cut out bad section and fed it to stem
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

I'll pile on here too, I had the short valve stem as well. What I did for a quick fix is to take the extender off one of the dually tire stems, screwed it on and filled the air bag. I later returned the extender back to the dually tire stem.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the replies. I pulled the core out of the stem and it seemed fine so I stuck it back in. I put the air to it and figured out that my air inflator on my compressor was not lining up properly with the core thus not allowing the air to pump in from the compressor. Once I figured that out and got them lined up it aired up just fine. Lesson learned! I also noticed the valve stem on my left side seemed short too but it was still long enough to take air thankfully.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #11

Related question, what pressure should I keep our air bags inflated at? Any need to decrease that or empty them if I am not going to use it for a few weeks?
Jersey Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Jim View Post
Related question, what pressure should I keep our air bags inflated at? Any need to decrease that or empty them if I am not going to use it for a few weeks?
When I'm not planning to tow any time soon, I reduce pressure in mine to make the ride a little softer......... but I never "empty them". My manual says not to decrease pressure below 5 psi so that the bags won't be pinched if you hit a large bump especially if you have any extra weight in the bed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #13

Had this happen to mine and tracked it down to a sharp bend in the hose that ended up kinking it hose. Straighten it out and no more problems
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #14

Great info here. My air bag valve stem on the driver's side of my Forester 3051S is to short for the air chuck I have.
I've been taking it out of the compartment, adding air and putting it back until I took time to study it more closely. I'll see which of these fixes works for me. Thanks!
BTW, the dealer recommended running 30psi in the air bags. I experimented until I got them up to 80 psi and the rig is more stable so that's where I keep mine.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Great info here. My air bag valve stem on the driver's side of my Forester 3051S is to short for the air chuck I have.
I've been taking it out of the compartment, adding air and putting it back until I took time to study it more closely. I'll see which of these fixes works for me. Thanks!
BTW, the dealer recommended running 30psi in the air bags. I experimented until I got them up to 80 psi and the rig is more stable so that's where I keep mine.
I always look into things further then a dealer's advice because they're expert at selling not necessarily at the technical stuff.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #16

X2!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
This is the same problem I had. The valve stem was too short. The inflation chuck contacted the mounting frame before the valve stem was pushed in far enough. I needed to remove the washer, which allowed the stem to be extended and all was well.

Same here.
BigPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #18

Down the road look into replacing the air bags with summo springs. No more air bags that leak, no more checking pressure every time we go on a trip. Made a big difference in the ride as well. I have made more improvements to the suspension than any other items in the rv. Have a 2860ds by the way.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I always look into things further then a dealer's advice because they're expert at selling not necessarily at the technical stuff.
X3!