Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #1

Right Rear Leveler not extending down to raise

I have a 2017 Forester 3051s that has Big Foot levelers. The right rear one is not extending down to help level. It goes back up when I retract all. Looks like it might just be a fluid level being low. I don't know where to look to verify fluid levels. Can't find it on Big Foot website. Anyone have a suggestion on where to look and confirm it sounds like a fluid level issue. Also it sound like once I do find where it is it could be a challenge to add fluid. Thanks for any help! Chuck
Chuck Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:32 PM   #2

On my 2017 Forester 2861, the reservoir is located on the inside of the driver side frame rail about half way back. Remove the sheet metal cover and you will see the reservoir. There is a plug in the top.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #3

Once you locate the reservoir make sure all slides are in and all levelers are retracted before you add fluid.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

What fobagbob said. The problem I have is that Bubba does not fit under there to fill the reservoir with the jacks up as recommended. So I drive the left side up on lumber so I can get under there.

Fluid: The bigfoot manual calls for Dexron 3 which is probably not available. Somebody in this section (Steeljag) called Quadra and was told that Dexron 4 is good.
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
Duckogram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
On my 2017 Forester 2861, the reservoir is located on the inside of the driver side frame rail about half way back. Remove the sheet metal cover and you will see the reservoir. There is a plug in the top.
Thanks! I'm hoping there is a reservoir for each of the four levelers. I'm only having an issue with the right back one. If one reservoir maybe its because it's the furthest away?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Carroll View Post
Thanks! I'm hoping there is a reservoir for each of the four levelers. I'm only having an issue with the right back one. If one reservoir maybe its because it's the furthest away?
Unless I missed the headlines……I’ve never heard of separate reservoirs for each jack.

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Unless I missed the headlines……I’ve never heard of separate reservoirs for each jack.

Good luck.
Yup. Quadra has a system for motorized with solo hydraulics. Only wires to connect the 4 together.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Yup. Quadra has a system for motorized with solo hydraulics. Only wires to connect the 4 together.
That’s why you’re the all knowing Duck!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
That’s why you’re the all knowing Duck!
Ken I assure you that I have no idea what I do not know.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #10

My big foot levellers have independent reservoirs, one for each but mine is 2006 so I don’t think they made that type in 2017
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #11

My 2014 Sunseeker, 3050s, has an individual reservoir on each of the 4 Bigfoot jacks. Not sure when FR and Bigfoot changed to single reservoir for the system.
UpstateTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #12

I had this problem with the left rear not going down. It went down in manual mode, and it goes down on fairly level ground. I think there may have been something about the angle we were at that it didn't like, even though it would have touched without fully extending.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #13

Bigfoot still makes the individual leveling jacks. My 2014 has them and they have a small fluid reservoir for each jack. Getting a little oil in is a hassle. I use an small old style oil can with a flexible spout and finger trigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BD5B4DB-2506-4C98-9386-BD8C8B02C859.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	262486  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #14

I have a 2016 wildcat with bigfoot levelers. Each leg has its own resivoir
Alde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #15

Thanks for all the responses. Still can't find thereservoir(s). I've looked in three locations and not found it. I'm guessing the reservoir is the blue rectangular box shown in picture. I've attached pictures of the leveler, no area like that. Good thing is now I have an appointment to take to a repair place that can look underneath better. Hopefully they can find the reservoir(s). https://photos.app.goo.gl/v5TvVxnmdG4LYNY5A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PqES3QyWtpDeBHDW9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZWEnVkzdkjdDUAVdA
Old 09-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Still can't find thereservoir(s). I've looked in three locations and not found it. I'm guessing the reservoir is the blue rectangular box shown in picture. I've attached pictures of the leveler, no area like that. Good thing is now I have an appointment to take to a repair place that can look underneath better. Hopefully they can find the reservoir(s).
You have the single source system. One reservoir. To find it you need a rug, a good flashlight and if you are like me, glasses.
Put the rug on the passenger side by the house door. While laying on the rug, shine the light up into the frame of the chassis that runs along the drivers side. You will see the orange and black hydraulic lines from the front and rear jacks going to a central point as in a box. Your pump, valves and reservoir reside in that box.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
You have the single source system. One reservoir. To find it you need a rug, a good flashlight and if you are like me, glasses.
Put the rug on the passenger side by the house door. While laying on the rug, shine the light up into the frame of the chassis that runs along the drivers side. You will see the orange and black hydraulic lines from the front and rear jacks going to a central point as in a box. Your pump, valves and reservoir reside in that box.
That's where it was. The fluid was low. After filling it the rear levels won't go down. I made it unlevel to make sure it would do something but they won't make an effort to go down. I reset the panel because the sidelights kept flashing but still no rear movement. Any suggestions on why they won't move down? I tried using manual but I guess I have to read on this as pushing manual does nothing.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
That's where it was. The fluid was low. After filling it the rear levels won't go down. I made it unlevel to make sure it would do something but they won't make an effort to go down. I reset the panel because the sidelights kept flashing but still no rear movement. Any suggestions on why they won't move down? I tried using manual but I guess I have to read on this as pushing manual does nothing.
If the fluid was very low, could it be possible that air has been drawn into the lines? Do you have the operator and service manual handy for your leveling system?
Old 09-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:

To try manual, power on, press manual until light comes on and release, then try each jack button.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
To try manual, power on, press manual until light comes on and release, then try each jack button.
Thanks! That worked and they do work manually now. I can at least use them on our trip that way. Guess I still need to determine why they don't work automatically.
This Forum sure is great and filled with very helpful people!! Thank you all.