Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

road handling in the mountains?

Hi All
Were new to this----
Were looking at the Class C 2801QS GTS. Wondering with 4 slides it must be heavy and how it might handle Colorado and Appalachian mountains?
Thanks
Cjleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjleonard View Post
Hi All
Were new to this----
Were looking at the Class C 2801QS GTS. Wondering with 4 slides it must be heavy and how it might handle Colorado and Appalachian mountains?
Thanks
What model year?

As for the weight, you should be able to find specs for empty weight and cargo capacity vs gross vehicle weight rating. The coach should have a label, likely on a door frame, stating such information. The 2018 brochure shows the 2800 weighs only 11,596 pounds empty, so it does not stand as heavy compared to the rest.

To me, going downhill is a much bigger concern than going uphill. The newer Ford 6 speed transmission has a tow/haul mode that greatly aids in engine braking on the downhills. I’m not familiar with the older 5 speed.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #3

Unless it's a Super C with a diesel you won't be able keep up with diesels especially pushers.

Can not speak to Rocky Mountains. We are on the PA Turnpike once every year or two, sometimes 2x a year, all the way through the mountains. Just fall in line in the slower moving traffic lane and try to keep up. Unless you want to flog your motor and tranny most steep slopes you can maintain about 40 sometimes a little less. It's not an issue for us.

2006 Sunseeker 2860ds 30.5' V10 6.8 liter with 5 speed torq flite plus tow/haul mode. I usually drive with tow/haul on as it helps to hold onto gears longer. In the mountains I turn it off and on depending on the grade ahead. Same with cruise control.

Braking not an issue, ours has 4 wheel disks with antilock, yours probably does too. Just watch your speed, drive within your limits and the law.

Curves on major highways are not an issue either but you have to stay at or under the posted speed limit. Know your unit and how it handles before buying it or before such a trip - take a short leisurely trip to higher elevations and understand how your unit handles it before embarking on that epic journey.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjleonard View Post
Hi All
Were new to this----
Thanks
Prepare to go slow. The Ford V10 will struggle going up hill at the higher elevations. It'll make it, but it'll be slow going. Lots of people I know who live in or frequent the Rockies favor diesel-based RVs for this reason.
fishyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #5

I have a 2015 2801QS and I regularly travel through the Canadian Rockies between Calgary and British Columbia through some of the highest and steepest passes. I have a tune and a cold air intake, I find I can hold the speed limit on all but the steepest climbs without reving excessively, that’s where my friend with a diesel truck catches me. I think the slides on the 2801 are smaller than some others and I was surprised when I weighed it all loaded up it was lighter than I expected. Some pics from my recent trip home.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	232933
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7058.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	232934
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
The Driver

If you're close to Arkansas, I suggest renting a big Class C and heading out for a few days to the Ozarks and the scenic drives around Buffalo River. The elevation is nothing like Colorado, but those little roads are pretty twisty, turny and steep. It will give you an idea of the driving experience.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post

Braking not an issue, ours has 4 wheel disks with antilock, yours probably does too. Just watch your speed, drive within your limits and the law.

Curves on major highways are not an issue either but you have to stay at or under the posted speed limit. Know your unit and how it handles before buying it or before such a trip - take a short leisurely trip to higher elevations and understand how your unit handles it before embarking on that epic journey.

Chris
Not sure I would say that breaking “is not an issue”. An inexperienced driver can get into trouble real quick by relying on the brakes too much ( especially if towing something). I really dislike the tow-haul mode going down as it downshifts every time you hit the brake ( seems like it anyway). I prefer to manually downshift to the appropriate gear.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #8

We have been through there with a 34ft class A pulling a car no problem. Go for it you'll love it!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

us too, and I don't think anyone buying a motorized RV has to worry about 'mountains' since these machines are obviously built to go anywhere - and they ARE everywhere, if you've ever traveled much. It's almost amazing to see the variety of types and sizes of motorhomes going anywhere and everywhere.

Most of us who have owned a motorhome for some time, and with many thousands and thousands of miles, don't even think about it anymore - it just gets you where you are going, whatever 'Class' type motorhome you have.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #10

We have a 2014 3170 V10 5speed @ 14800lbs 5star tune with 2014 Outback toad @ 3200lbs. Tow haul mode 100% of the time.

Last year we took ourselves from SC to the Rockies. 5 glorious months. I too was apprehensive about the RV and tall mountains. I must say, the V10 was superb. It climbed to tall hills up to 11000ft. Over Monarch Pass. Beautiful drive along US50 and other passes as we moved around the Rockies.

Towhaul mode handled most of the downhill braking with a touch of brake now and than. I set the toad braking to brake when the RV braked. Up hill was around 45mph, just nice and easy.

The E450 Ford handled well for the trip. The only improvements i have done is a good alignment, shocks and a Bilstein steering stabilizer.
I used a standard Roadmaps along with my Garmin RV760 and my Truckers Atlas. I figured if a big truck could go, so could I.

Hope this helps in some small way.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #11

Gonna add my two cents on long mountain climbs. I haven’t been on every road but my experience is that MOST long climbs have several sharp turns. The interstate roads not as many but most the others even if you could get up to speed you are constantly slowing down for the switch back or “S” curve.

Again I haven’t traveled all roads but the number of truly straight roads with long steep inclines with no curves very limited in my honest opinion.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #12

There appears to be a lot of recommendations on driving an RV in the mountains. We may all benefit from watching the videos or reading some of the articles.

Just Google what I did on this screen shot and go from there.

If anyone can build on this post with some other materials for the OP, all members, please do so.

Chris
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200703-101240_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	233007
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #13

I worked at a Ford (truck only over 8500 GVW), Isuzu, and Peterbilt dealership in Denver. The first hard pull going west out of Denver was Genesee hill. This hill would weed out the weaklings and the vehicles with poor maintenance. Keep your radiator clean and you diesel guys better be checking the space between the intercooler and the radiator. You've got to get a flashlight and really look close between them. Isuzu's were particularly susceptible to this. The air starts to get thin at altitude and will cause an obvious decrease in power. This thin air does not transfer heat from the radiator as well as denser sea level air, and right at a time when you need it most. The V10 engine worked very well in these platforms and there is a lot of them out there.
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount