Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer

Today, I removed the Ford factory damper and installed a heavier stabilizer. Hitchsource.com had the item and brackets in stock. Road test on Sunday heading to the Interstate.

2013 Forester #3051S, Ford E450

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	31055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster2.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	31056  
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Let us know if you see a noticeable difference between the two.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

Keep us updated. Had my 3170 front end alignment done and what a difference.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Alignment

How many miles do you have on your 3071? What was the cost? Who did the work?

I have only driven 70 miles (3051SF) from the Dealer to my shop. The RV has about 1,450 delivery miles on it. My first trip is 700 miles the last week of June.

Several folks have suggested wanting until I have a few thousand miles on it before getting an alignment. Forest River should realign the vehicle after building it into a Class "C" RV. There is no reason we should be required to get a brand new RV aligned at a Ford Dealership.

Tim
Fort Myers, FL
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

My 3170 had just 1400 miles. We had made two short trips and the unit drove really bad. Wondering on the road, seemed to track with a mind of its own, two handed white knuckle driving.
This topic is covered in detail on this forum and that is where I got my info.

We were soon to be headed to Florida on vacation, I decided to get the alignment done.
Called three ford dealers in the surrounding area and they could not do it. Ended with Blacks Tire in Florence, SC.
If you read the forum on alignment, you will read about replacing the stock ford bushings with cam bushing. They were required to bring the front end into the tight specs Installed the cam bushings, alignment was preformed all in about 2 hours at a cost of $264.00.
The guys at Blacks are great. Explained and showed me everything before work and priced it.

The forum states to wait until the coach settles in about 2500 miles. The trip to Florida forced me to do it early.
Never regretted the money and plan to file a claim with my dealer and if I get any money back, great, if not! I love my 3170 and considered an alignment no big deal.

Finding a shop was the difficult part. If your ford dealer can not preform the work, bay to low, machine to short, look for a big truck shop. I do plan to get it checked before the 2014 season.
Good luck. That is why I am interested in the steering stabilizer results.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Do a search for alignment. It is under Sunseeker LE alignment 2012 E450
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

E450 Alignment

Thanks for the information. I will call around locally and see what shop is set-up for this type work. I have read some of posts on the Sunseeker forum about alignment.

BTW...after doing some research on a steering stabilizer, I called my friend that is a very knowledgeable mechanic. He has installed many steering stabilizers on 4X4 trucks and recommended it on my RV. It does provides a margin of safety during a front tire blow out.

Just called my local Ford Dealership here in Fort Myers, FL. They are one of the largest dealers in the Country. Their truck shop has a bay setup for motor-homes with alignment equipment in place. I plan to take it there next week after road testing the steering stabilizer.

Tim
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
How many miles do you have on your 3071? What was the cost? Who did the work?

I have only driven 70 miles (3051SF) from the Dealer to my shop. The RV has about 1,450 delivery miles on it. My first trip is 700 miles the last week of June.

Several folks have suggested wanting until I have a few thousand miles on it before getting an alignment. Forest River should realign the vehicle after building it into a Class "C" RV. There is no reason we should be required to get a brand new RV aligned at a Ford Dealership.

Tim
Fort Myers, FL
That was the problem though...the specs i post on this forum are tighter than Fords recommended specs. We had a dealer specifically request them...so we would align it and they be out of whack by time it got there. Some were ok, some were not. Just seems like the chassis needed to settle to be sure it will stick.

It leaves our plant within Ford specs.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
Thanks for the information. I will call around locally and see what shop is set-up for this type work. I have read some of posts on the Sunseeker forum about alignment.

BTW...after doing some research on a steering stabilizer, I called my friend that is a very knowledgeable mechanic. He has installed many steering stabilizers on 4X4 trucks and recommended it on my RV. It does provides a margin of safety during a front tire blow out.

Just called my local Ford Dealership here in Fort Myers, FL. They are one of the largest dealers in the Country. Their truck shop has a bay setup for motor-homes with alignment equipment in place. I plan to take it there next week after road testing the steering stabilizer.

Tim
Keep us informed of your results and the mileage.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Alignment at Ford Dealership Planned

Sam Galloway Ford has the adjustable cam bushings in stock. I am taking a copy of the specs posted by Forest River and some additional comments made by others.

Sunday, I rode test the new Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. Basically making sure the vehicle maintains center position and does not pull left or right.

Monday, I will drop it off at the Ford Dealer for alignment.

Tim
Fort Myers, FL
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #11

Road Test Completed

I road tested my #3051S today on the Interstate.

Specifications for Test
Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stablilizer installed (removed factory damper)
Tire pressure front: 75 psi
Tire pressure rear: 80 psi
Air springs: 70 psi (both)
Water tank 1/3
Gasoline tank 2/3
Compartments full with normal gear
NOT towing

The RV drove straight with no wheel pull either left or right. There was no need to constantly steer to maintain your traffic lane. It was comfortable and handled well for many miles. My speed control was set to 60 and then 65.

This was a major improvement from the 70 miles I drove from the dealership to my residence on the Interstate. The tire pressures were not set and the air springs were at a much lower pressure. Plus, the new Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer was not installed.

I am very happy now with the handling of my new Forester #3051S E450. Tuesday, it goes to my local Ford Service Center for an alignment check.

Tim
Fort Myers, FL

Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

Alignment at Ford Dealership SLOW!!

Dropped off my RV #3051SF last Tuesday at my local Ford Service Center. They are a large dealership (Sam Galloway Ford of Fort Myers, FL) and have been in business since 1929.

My E450 is on a waiting list for the alignment in a bay designed for RVs and all Ford Trucks. This is taking much longer then just a few days. As of last Saturday, I had three other vehicles still in front of me. Thursday, morning I will be picking up my RV no matter if the work gets completed or not.

I am comfortable with the handling of my RV but was willing to get the alignment checked.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Funny, seems to be a different world outside of Elkhart county. There seems to be a sense of urgency in this town.

Our local shop here (not a Ford dealer) that does the alignment for a rental company we deal with pounds out 18 a day at their peak.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #14

Alignment Completed by Ford

Received my #3051S on Thursday morning from the local Ford Service Center. The alignment was completed and no adjustments were required. Cost $143.68

attached document with specifications

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1-37_edited-1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	32512  

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #15

Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer E450 Ford

Can anyone tell me more about the Roadmaster e450 steering stabilizer? I have a 2016 Forest River 3172 class C motorhome. I am planning a long trip and am wondering 1st, if it helps with wander on the highway? And 2nd if I would need a front end alignment upon installing the unit. The RV only has 3200 miles.
Dks236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

I put the Roadmaster steering stabilizer on my 3010DS last year and have never regretted it. Maybe 30 minutes work and a LOT of piece of mind!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #17

Absolutely amazing how many band-aid suspension fixes there are out there for the Ford chassis, and the amount of money owners spend to TRY to make them more manageable on the road.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dks236 View Post
Can anyone tell me more about the Roadmaster e450 steering stabilizer? I have a 2016 Forest River 3172 class C motorhome. I am planning a long trip and am wondering 1st, if it helps with wander on the highway? And 2nd if I would need a front end alignment upon installing the unit. The RV only has 3200 miles.
Have you ever had a front end alignment? Forest River pays for the first one, since the original alignment settings are the Ford settings and are not suitable for motor homes. I'm not sure there is a time limit on them paying for it, but they recommend doing it at 2000-3000 miles. We had the Roadmaster RSSC steering stabilizer installed at the same time as our alignment and it has improved handling stability quite a bit.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Absolutely amazing how many band-aid suspension fixes there are out there for the Ford chassis, and the amount of money owners spend to TRY to make them more manageable on the road.
Other than the front end alignment, pray tell, what SHOULD be done that isn't a band-aid fix?

From what I'm reading on the forums, the alignment should be done between 2000-3000 miles. Not having that many miles on my Sunseeker and only driving less than 200 miles round trip to our favorite campground, I knew it would be 2017 before I had the recommended mileage for an alignment. Therefore, I put on the RRSS, and like I said, have not regretted a minute. I figure it could only enhance an alignment once one is done.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #20

Had my 2017 Forester 2861 DS done last year ....WoW what a difference. It cost me around $[emoji591]140.00 that included everything. I think I had around 1500 miles on it.. it was way out of alignment. If you have Ford to do it , they have Ford specs that they go by. That is what I heard ... This year is going to be the Reflex Steering Stabilizer and maybe a 2nd alignment. Those Michelin tires is it cheap. Good luck everyone. Safe journeys. [emoji591]
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote