Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Rodent proofing at sewer hose pass through

Looking for ideas here. In the sewer connection compartment on my 3051S, there is a removable plug that you pass the sewer hose through. After putting the hose though, there is a large gap around the hose that rodents can pass through. One did just that on a recent camp trip, and got into the RV through the adjoining compartment where the wiring from the inverter passes into the RV. In this case, it was a large bushy tailed wood rat. It made its way though the under belly, and ended up in the kitchen/dinette drawers, leaving calling cards everywhere, and sleepless nights as it rustled it way around at night. Ended up having to make a road trip to the local hardware store, and caught it with a good old fashioned rat trap set in the dinette drawer. Yuck, it was a disgusting affair.

All that said, now I am paranoid to leave the hose connected while in camp, and am looking for a way to seal the gap around the hose. Ideas? Anyone?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

Using steel wool would stop the rat going in. They don't like it rubbing on their nose!
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

I don't have a specific answer, but what first came to mind was something like a PVC toilet flange. The hose passes through it and the flange keeps the PVC from falling through the hole. If it is too big for the hole or the hose fitting is too big, you can cut it in half to go around the hose and section off enough of it to fit through the hole in the floor.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
2012 Solera

I carry a spray bottle filled with household ammonia with me. Spray around the Motorhome when in an area I think is "risky". Seems to work to discourage unwanted "guests". Advised to do this by others in our storage yard.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #5

Do not have one but saw this a little while back. Thought it looked interesting
sewersock.net
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Thank you all for the recommendations. I just purchased that sewer sock and will give it a try! Michael
Old 10-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael621 View Post
Looking for ideas here. In the sewer connection compartment on my 3051S, there is a removable plug that you pass the sewer hose through. After putting the hose though, there is a large gap around the hose that rodents can pass through. One did just that on a recent camp trip, and got into the RV through the adjoining compartment where the wiring from the inverter passes into the RV. In this case, it was a large bushy tailed wood rat. It made its way though the under belly, and ended up in the kitchen/dinette drawers, leaving calling cards everywhere, and sleepless nights as it rustled it way around at night. Ended up having to make a road trip to the local hardware store, and caught it with a good old fashioned rat trap set in the dinette drawer. Yuck, it was a disgusting affair.

All that said, now I am paranoid to leave the hose connected while in camp, and am looking for a way to seal the gap around the hose. Ideas? Anyone?

See my comments on the sewer sock in the product review section. You have to make sure you keep it pressed down from the inside to work.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #8

Rodent proofing

Using very coarse steel wool packed around the hose will prevent any rodents from accessing the rv. They just don't like the stuff! I used it in a friends home once for a similiar problem and voila!...no rodents.

Jim
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

We had the exact problem a couple of years ago with a black squirrel in Colorado. We heard him rummaging around near the head of the bed and in the drawers in the middle of the night. We got up and slammed a few drawers scaring him out. I disconnected the sewer hose and closed up the hole. This is what I came up with. Had a water bowl for our dog that we had bought at CW. The lid fits fairly close and I filled the remaining 1/2" gap with steel wool. I also use an electronic pest control and haven't had a problem since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	153056  
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Senior Member - Retired

SimoRandy - perhaps they did away with the product review section. At least I do not see it.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael621 View Post
Thank you all for the recommendations. I just purchased that sewer sock and will give it a try! Michael

Let us know what you think. Good, bad, junk?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Canadian Member

The only sure fire method would be to disconnect the sewer hose and put a plug in it when you aren’t dumping. My Rhino sewer hose comes with plugs for each end. Just let the tank fill and then connect the hose and dump as needed. But that doesn’t make sense for your water line and electric cord if they are connected in the same compartment.

To keep mice out, I’m using Fresh Cab pouches combined with ceramic mugs containing cotton balls soaked in essential oil of peppermint. If the sewer sock doesn’t work for you, you could try that in the sewer connection compartment.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
This link to the product review should work.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ck-125117.html
Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #14
Senior Member - Retired

Thank you. They might work better if they screwed into the opening instead of sitting on top of it.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #15

I used to train pest control professionals. A barrier is the first line of defense.

Whatever barrier you choose, rodent teeth have a hardness just shy of steel. Aluminum and other "soft" materials are no match for them. The best, most permanent barriers will be from sheet steel cut to fit snugly around any protrusion such as a sewer pipe. One can cut two pieces with half-circles and "long tails" that will overlap. Used galvanized sheet, and paint your drill holes to prevent corrosion. Use an adhesive caulk and (stainless) screws to hold it in place.

A good alternative for difficult to fit locations is "hardware cloth." This is galvanized steel screen and it comes in "dimensions" such as 1/4" square holes. The advantage is that it's welded at all joints and if you form a ragged edge to wrap around something like a pipe, it is a bit like barbed wire fencing at that edge. Screws with washers will hold it in place.

In more challenging locations, steel wool may work well, but it rusts easily. Stainless "scrunge" pads may be more durable. One can impregnate the steel pad with expanding foam if applied with patience. The foam will secure the steel and have the added benefit of insulating the opening.

These are a surprisingly effective deterrent: Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent, 4 Pouches
I get mine locally at a "farm" store. Since it's fall, many may be sold out. I get it when I can, and the individual pouches are sealed so they remain effective, and I simply place them in corners and nooks in the camper. They last a year. No critters ever. And the "pungent" odor is pleasant to humans...kind of a "cedar closet" effect. Another advantage is that the product is nontoxic and of no interest to pets (at least not my small dogs).
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof