RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Nope. They don't exist. I'm using the two red lenses and having no problems.
Still under warranty? What does the dealer and FR have to say about it?
If I remember correctly, they are oval and fit flush with the cabover, right? So the recessed area may be different than the current models.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #82
Member
 
skylilymd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 63
There's a place called Blake sales I bought two from - it was expensive like 30$ (he kind of has a monopoly on them lol) but I bet he still has some 773 927 3350
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #83
BEFUDDELED MEMBER
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DEEP IN THE KITTY LITTER, NEW MEXICO
Posts: 58
FYI
This is what hazmat clean up use for black mold remeadiation.

You want to go to Lowes or Ace and get CONCROBIUM MOLD CONTROL
It eliminates and prevents black mold. It is not bleach, alcohol or ammonia, contains no harsh chemicals.. It comes in a spray bottle. Saturate area and it will remove the stain, kill and prevent new mold growth and eliminate the musty smell .
__________________
13,SUNSEEKER 3010
RETIRED / New Mexico
D KZ5PZ - EXTRA -DW K5ZPZ - GENERAL
Viet combat vet USNR
DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #84
BEFUDDELED MEMBER
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DEEP IN THE KITTY LITTER, NEW MEXICO
Posts: 58
My post on the oval yellow clearance lite issue on IRV2 site:

" I believe you are asking about the oval yellow clearance lights on the front cap. You did not indicate location or color. The front clearance lites / lenses are classified as obsolete/ unobtanium/ hens teeth. Do google/ what ever search engine to try to locate some. I have accumulated 2 yellow lenses and 5 of the 2014 oval LED yellow light assemblies over the last 2 years, The quest for the holy grail started when someone stole 2 at the local RV dealer while in for a fridge repair. I have found one at a time at small RV shops in 7 states.
Since I have 5 replacement LED complete lites, I have glued the current lenses on the Incandescent lamp assy on the RV. The Fiberglass front cap was molded for these unique oval lights available only from the one mfg.. You might see if the new round lites will fit. Try the Frogs website: http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

Good luck __________________
JACK ( KZ5PZ ) & SHIRLEY 13 SUNSEEKER 3010 w/ 5 STAR, SOLAR, ++
The Bichons: KIBBELS & CHIPS and forever remembered BITZ
DAV-LIFE, VFW-LIFE, NRA-LIFE, SASS-LIFE, GOOD SAM-LIFE, NM-CC,"
__________________
13,SUNSEEKER 3010
RETIRED / New Mexico
D KZ5PZ - EXTRA -DW K5ZPZ - GENERAL
Viet combat vet USNR
DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 497
Lights and leaks

On the older style oval lights it is true - they are no longer made. Glo-Brite closed down and no one has made the light to replace that unique style - believe me I've looked around. I bought the LED version of the oval lights but the sun attached the bases and they became very brittle. I bought the fixtures from benlorv.com.
Only suggestion I can make to replace the extinct oval is to have base plates made the same as the oval and install a different fixture onto the base plate. I made some base plates out of 3/16" aluminum and secured the new LED Glo-Brite fixture to the plate. I had too many leaks even with the new fixtures and I felt it was due to the molding base of the light. The plate gave me a flat surface to work with. I used Loctite gasket maker to seal everything. I tested by pressurizing the ceiling and and applying soap around the fixtures. They are now air and water tight.

For all - check your clearance lights regardless of the style - they will leak water into the over-cab.

On leaks - I don't recommend creating a drain hole. The drain hole will allow water to drain out but it doesn't fix water getting in.
I've had leaks from all areas around the front cap; at the top where cap and fiberglass roof come together, at the cap and rain gutter and at the cap to the van chassis roof (the connection of the fiberglass cap to the cutaway van roof). I suggest performing pressure checks and use soap. Pressurizing the roof is easy using a powerful blower connected at where the ceiling LED light is. I pulled an LED ceiling light and connected my blower to a high pressure flex duct, stuck the duct in the opening of the light. I went to town on the roof with a sprayer filled with soap water.

I've written on this forum extensively in regards to my leaks. Do a search on my post to get the details.
(Sorry about the blower photo - I couldn't get it to rotate)

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150426_191614.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	109399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141024_162303.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	109400   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150426_191649.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	109401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140913_091144.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	109403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160126_173047.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	109404  

bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,915
Can't the clearance light depression be modified to use the 3/4" button Led lights?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Can't the clearance light depression be modified to use the 3/4" button Led lights?
It can but it will take some work. You can't install the button lights as is because you will still have the mounting screw holes from the oval fixture.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central, Fl.
Posts: 1,301
The wife and I have been closely following this roof leak issue (Windows, seams, lights, corners) on these units, and have now postponed our order of an 3011DS.

Not to mention those of you who ordered , waited, and then found your new units with scratched counter tops, torn materials, screws through the counter tops, etc. these do not sound like NEW units to me!

It's hard to believe FR ( or anyone) would allow these units to leave the factory in this condition, dealers would except these units in these conditions........and dealers would then sell these units in these conditions (obvious visual issues of scratches, torn materials, etc).

Our plan was to order.....fly up......drive home. I would not except a new unit in USED condition! I now wonder about those who have ordered, and had units delivered that showed up in these used conditions? I would walk out to my driveway, look the unit over, ask the driver what happened.......offer him or her lunch, and tell them to drive it back!

Can you imagine buying a new $75,000 plus car or truck and having the sales person explain that yes, the roof leaks, the seats are torn, the dash has a long scratch across it........just bring it back, drop it off for a month at service and we will patch it, cover it, glue it.......LOL !
__________________
2018 Forester 3011DS (Purchased 04/26/17)
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 637
I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
The wife and I have been closely following this roof leak issue (Windows, seams, lights, corners) on these units, and have now postponed our order of an 3011DS.

Not to mention those of you who ordered , waited, and then found your new units with scratched counter tops, torn materials, screws through the counter tops, etc. these do not sound like NEW units to me!

It's hard to believe FR ( or anyone) would allow these units to leave the factory in this condition, dealers would except these units in these conditions........and dealers would then sell these units in these conditions (obvious visual issues of scratches, torn materials, etc).

Our plan was to order.....fly up......drive home. I would not except a new unit in USED condition! I now wonder about those who have ordered, and had units delivered that showed up in these used conditions? I would walk out to my driveway, look the unit over, ask the driver what happened.......offer him or her lunch, and tell them to drive it back!

Can you imagine buying a new $75,000 plus car or truck and having the sales person explain that yes, the roof leaks, the seats are torn, the dash has a long scratch across it........just bring it back, drop it off for a month at service and we will patch it, cover it, glue it.......LOL !
Had I known ahead of time about (in my case) the poor build quality, the poor to non-existent warranty service in my area, the lack of warranty support from the manufacturer - I would have looked long and hard for a one year old unit. Then I would have had zero expectations of any kind of warranty service and paid a lot less.

I don't know why we tolerate this kind of attitude from the manufacturers and the dealers.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #90
Member
 
skylilymd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 63
Katanapilot - you are exactly right and to be honest with you this doesn't just apply to rv's it applies to cars, houses, and really anything if you buy brand-new expect to lose most of your money in the first year and have to deal with issues that come along with anything that you buy new. This forum is invaluable and I read it for a long time before I purchased my three-year-old previous rental with 80,000 miles on it - and while that may scare a lot of people, other than the purchase price I have put less work and money into it than some people who have bought new ones lol

Steel jag - there is actually nothing wrong with Forest River they're the same as any other manufacture even if you buy a Tiffin allegro you will still have to deal with issues related to water and physics - just don't buy a new one by a used one and when you buy it by it for cheap enough that you could put money into it in the worst case scenario and still come out on top and happy - Buy from a private party get it inspected if you don't feel that you're an expert on mechanical and or the coach itself, and then if you have issues (which you will no matter what u buy) it's not a big deal and you won't feel as stressed out. This is just my personal opinion of course
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #91
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 52
Red face How are you checking the clearance lights?

I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 16
I can easily say that buying a new $75,000 project motorhome is the worst financial decision I have made in my 52 years. I hate looking at the thing. It just brings head and heartache every time I look at it. Thinking of how I can rid myself of it without losing too much money. The last thing I set out to do when buying it was taking on and engineering and repair project. I work hard enough to earn a living. I though let's take some well deserved time off and spend some time with the kids before they go off to college. Well, thanks to the losers who "work" at Forestriver and put **** out the door all my plans are shot. I have a leaky moldy motorhome that the dealers don't have time to work on, the manufacture has put as little effort into helping me to repair as possible. I have lost $15,000 on it so far if I can find a sucker to give me $60,000 for it. I've bought used motorhomes, airplanes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and never, I mean never have I bought something so disappointing!! If I can help someone, anyone from making the same mistake at least I can feel good about that!
theboyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #93
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Theboyss, I would contact Motorhome Magazine. They have a service for folks who have a persistent, unaddressed problem and are looking for a last resort solution. I believe that they require you to contact them by mail and send along a detailed history of your troubles. They will then approach the manufacturer on your behalf in order to provide a solution. They seem to almost always get results since no manufacturer wants to see their product appear in this column of a national RV magazine. To find out the details you can pick up a copy of the magazine at a library or contact them directly to find out the details of how to proceed. Good luck! BTW, I am also rethinking my upcoming purchase of a Forest River RV.
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:37 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
I find it's best from the roof. Lay on the roof face down over the cab. Very easy to get to from there.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
I started off with an 8' painter's ladder and checked the outside ones. Then went on the roof and laid on my stomach and checked the 3 center ones. I brought up a rubber mallet and a block of wood and tapped them in a little until the chrome ring was tight. Only 2 were loose, the passenger side one that's in the photo and one of the center ones. The other 3 were tight, but I gave them a little tap each for good measure. Going to check twice a year from now on.
I have always been concerned about cabover leaks as I had my front facing cabover window in my Winnebago leak at the upper corner and cause the luan to swell producing a 1"x3" delamination. Removed the window and found Winnebago didn't center the window in the opening and only the edge of the butyl tape and caulk were preventing it from leaking. The frame was right on the edge of the opening. I'm glad most class C's no longer come with them!
No one has complained about side window leaks which is good. So it's clearance lights or seams.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 637
I feel really bad for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyss View Post
I can easily say that buying a new $75,000 project motorhome is the worst financial decision I have made in my 52 years. I hate looking at the thing. It just brings head and heartache every time I look at it. Thinking of how I can rid myself of it without losing too much money. The last thing I set out to do when buying it was taking on and engineering and repair project. I work hard enough to earn a living. I though let's take some well deserved time off and spend some time with the kids before they go off to college. Well, thanks to the losers who "work" at Forestriver and put **** out the door all my plans are shot. I have a leaky moldy motorhome that the dealers don't have time to work on, the manufacture has put as little effort into helping me to repair as possible. I have lost $15,000 on it so far if I can find a sucker to give me $60,000 for it. I've bought used motorhomes, airplanes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and never, I mean never have I bought something so disappointing!! If I can help someone, anyone from making the same mistake at least I can feel good about that!
It sounds like we are a lot alike (except for the motorcycles). My MH problems were minor in comparison. If I were you, I would do as the other poster suggested and if that fails to get you the results you want, hire an attorney.

If FR had any decency (or frankly any sense), they would be giving you your money back tomorrow.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #97
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
To THE BOYSS we got a brand new 2016 sunseeker by forest river c class last weekend.. Rained pretty good midweek here in Wilmington nc... Friday we loaded it up and when I put in drive... I got an unexpected shower... EXACTLY the same problem you described.. Even water pouring out of corner channel behind the passenger door.. I'm a contractor/master carpenter.. Told my wife It could be caulking.. Read your post, so now I'm convinced that's it... My concern, as is yours, interior/unseeable damage.. My theory is, yes, we have a big problem. Foam Insulation in the panels that gets wet will expand, thus future seam pops in panels.. I'm not a happy camper ( no pun intended).. Got ours at camping world myrtle beach SC.... I will be a thorn in their side for sure... Our problem is that is a 2hour drive each way.. They won't reimburse fuel, wear and tear from the excessive trips this will take.... A real bummer.. Good luck!
Travrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travrooks View Post
To THE BOYSS we got a brand new 2016 sunseeker by forest river c class last weekend.. Rained pretty good midweek here in Wilmington nc... Friday we loaded it up and when I put in drive... I got an unexpected shower... EXACTLY the same problem you described.. Even water pouring out of corner channel behind the passenger door.. I'm a contractor/master carpenter.. Told my wife It could be caulking.. Read your post, so now I'm convinced that's it... My concern, as is yours, interior/unseeable damage.. My theory is, yes, we have a big problem. Foam Insulation in the panels that gets wet will expand, thus future seam pops in panels.. I'm not a happy camper ( no pun intended).. Got ours at camping world myrtle beach SC.... I will be a thorn in their side for sure... Our problem is that is a 2hour drive each way.. They won't reimburse fuel, wear and tear from the excessive trips this will take.... A real bummer.. Good luck!
Which model and can you take photos of exactly where it leaked into?
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #99
Member
 
skylilymd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 63
Roof leak at front cap on 2016 3101ss

I see you found the hidden front cab shower - all joking aside if you can find the leak post some pictures - also if you are in construction you could fix any issues yourself if the dealer will not - I had to fix my front cap roof and it wasn't too terrible
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 347
Roof leak at front cap on 2016 3101ss

I would be worried about mold growing in the unseen areas where the water sat and soaked into things.
__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S
2016 Ford Fiesta-Toad

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forester, leak, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.