Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #1

Roof on an older Sunseeker

We recently took possession of a 2005 Forest River Sunseeker 2900 LTD on a Chevy 3500 chassis.

I know, from the brochure that FR sent me, that she has filon side walls, front and end cap. What I haven't found out is of the roof is fiberglass, TPO or EPMD.

I have asked FR, but all they could provide me was the 2005 brochure which didn't mention the rood type.

Are there any owners (current or past) of the 2005 FR Sunseeker 2900 LTDs who know what the roof type is.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitbread View Post
We recently took possession of a 2005 Forest River Sunseeker 2900 LTD on a Chevy 3500 chassis.

I know, from the brochure that FR sent me, that she has filon side walls, front and end cap. What I haven't found out is of the roof is fiberglass, TPO or EPMD.

I have asked FR, but all they could provide me was the 2005 brochure which didn't mention the rood type.

Are there any owners (current or past) of the 2005 FR Sunseeker 2900 LTDs who know what the roof type is.
That question was recently answered by FR here in this section. Your roof is EPDM. FR began using Fiberglass aka Filon in 2008.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2690774
Old 03-02-2022, 01:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
That question was recently answered by FR here in this section. Your roof is EPDM. FR began using Fiberglass aka Filon in 2008.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2690774
Thanks. I tried to search for the post, but I guess I didn't equate the 2006 to the 2005.. My bad.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #4

Considering this is a roof related thread, does anyone know if a 225lb tub of lard like me can walk on the roof of the 2005 Sunseeker?

From what I understand, if there is a ladder on the rear it's okay to do so but somewhat carefully.

Ours did not come with a ladder attached, but it was also started out as part of a rental fleet and the the rental company could have simply have ordered it without a ladder as a mean of discouraging renters from climbing up there.

Apparently it's an EPDM roof.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Considering this is a roof related thread, does anyone know if a 225lb tub of lard like me can walk on the roof of the 2005 Sunseeker?

From what I understand, if there is a ladder on the rear it's okay to do so but somewhat carefully.

Ours did not come with a ladder attached, but it was also started out as part of a rental fleet and the the rental company could have simply have ordered it without a ladder as a mean of discouraging renters from climbing up there.

Apparently it's an EPDM roof.

Thoughts?
I have a 2006 Sunseeker 2860DS, Ford Chassis. It's a 2005 VIN. EPDM roof like yours.

Assuming your Sunseeker roof trusses and wall studs are like mine, you won't have any problems at your weight. I've been heavier. Emphasis on been.

I always wear clean smooth sole tennis type shoes, walk carefully keeping my weight evenly distributed as much as possible, sometimes it's not - keep yourself safe.

Spent many hours on the roof cleaning, touching up seams, replacing antenna wire, installing new vent covers, installing MaxAir vent covers, and no issues.

PM me if you any more questions
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
I have a 2006 Sunseeker 2860DS, Ford Chassis. It's a 2005 VIN. EPDM roof like yours.

Assuming your Sunseeker roof trusses and wall studs are like mine, you won't have any problems at your weight. I've been heavier. Emphasis on been.

I always wear clean smooth sole tennis type shoes, walk carefully keeping my weight evenly distributed as much as possible, sometimes it's not - keep yourself safe.

Spent many hours on the roof cleaning, touching up seams, replacing antenna wire, installing new vent covers, installing MaxAir vent covers, and no issues.

PM me if you any more questions
ChrisParise, Thanks for the input. I have two vents to replace, and a MaxAir to install, then it's Eternabond time for all the vent and seams and I was hoping to not be standing on a ladder all the time.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
ChrisParise, Thanks for the input. I have two vents to replace, and a MaxAir to install, then it's Eternabond time for all the vent and seams and I was hoping to not be standing on a ladder all the time.
You're welcome.

Sounds like a good plan. You'll be sitting or on your knees up there mostly. If your knees bother you, can always wear knee pads and kneel on some towels

MaxAir vents are extremely durable and easy to install.
Mine are over 10 years old and look new, white translucent

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, sunseeker