Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Roof protection

Just purchased a new 3011ds. Was thinking of using eternabond tape and going over all the roof seams as a preemptive strike against possible water infiltration. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this approach.

Also speaking with dealer tech who liked the idea, however he said to remove the molding and use the eternabond tape, then put all the molding back. Just wondering how easy it will be to remove the molding. Or will be it ok to cover molding as it is.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas. After hearing some of the stories of roof leaks, I just thought it would be easier to try and add protection from the beginning.

Thanks,
Shadogang

Picking up the unit in 2 weeks and am looking forward to some adventures.
Shadogang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Good idea... I did it 2 years ago... see this

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

right over the molding

notice I used wide enough tape to cover the molding, the caulk and onto the roof membrane

covering up the caulk I believe will keep it from deteriorating and peeling off

according to the Eternabond website they claim at least a 10 year life for the tape

FROM etrernabond dot com...
Quote:
More importantly, it will contract and expand with your roof, never losing its adhesive power. Once you have put Eternabond® on your roof, you are done with seam maintenance forever (or darned close)!
was just on my roof last week washing it and the tape looks like it was applied yesterday...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Ours is a 2013 and I was thinking about rolling that white sealant on it just to be sure after I clean the membrane roof, also seen a couple photo's on FB where people have put that Black or white Rino that goes in the back of a pick-up bed on Membrane roofs, what do you all think of that?

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Rino that goes in the back of a pick-up bed on Membrane roofs, what do you all think of that?
membrane roofs are NOT compatible with any petroleum based product... don't know if Rhino liner falls into that category, but I suspect it does...

petroleum will distort and wrinkle the roof...

Quote:
I inadvertently laid the slightly damp rag (mineral spirits) on the roof as I left to take a break. Four hours later I came back to find a huge 8 inch wide bubble on the roof under the rag. I kicked myself, and hoped that the problem would go away. I waited 24 hours, and the huge bubble went away 98%. I can still see a little distortion where the bubble was but the membrane is intact, looks good and should not give me a problem.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
membrane roofs are NOT compatible with any petroleum based product... don't know if Rhino liner falls into that category, but I suspect it does...

petroleum will distort and wrinkle the roof...
I was thinking the same thing, it goes on metal, but boy, those roofs look good that they put them on...time will tell.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I just put Eternabond on my TT roof because the sealant along the top of the gutters was drying out and curling at the thinnest places. Used a nail brush to remove the dried sealant then wiped the area down with lacquer thinner. I put it right over the vinyl strip covering the screws and down into the gutter. I hope it helps keep acorns out of the gutters.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof