Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Rubber molding on cab cover

We have a 2017 Forester 3051s, bought it new, spent the initial trip in Florida for the winter. Of course there were some issues to be fixed when we got back. One issue was the molding on the cab cover pulled away at the bend over the door (no pics) . The dealer replaced the molding and told me that it had shrunk. My question is if it shrank once why won't it happen again? Anybody have this problem and anyway to stop it from happening again?
I'm planning on asking a factory rep at the international rally this year and see what they say.
Thanks for any reply.
Tomban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

If your referring to the trim insert that is covering the screws in the moulding rails, then yes, it is a common occurrence. Its vinyl, and will shrink due to sun, cold, heat, ect. Depending on exposure, stuff may only last a year or two. If located in trim that takes a sharp curve, when it shrinks it pulls out of the moulding.
Stuff is cheap, 20-25 bucks for a 100 foot roll, depending on size/color.
I keep a roll on hand as regular maintaince supply...have to replace the inserts on the roof of our Lexi every 2 years or so.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

That's what I thought

Where can you buy a roll? Mine is painted and it matches the camper. I think if I just used black it would still look better than it dropping down. Also what's the best way to get it into the rail, soap maybe?
Tomban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Amazon. Just punch in black rv trim insert. The heavy duty stuff listed costs a bit more, but it's a bit thicker. If your a prime member you'll have it in 2 days.
You need to know how wide your original stuff is...probably 1 inch. But measure it by laying it flat. It comes in different widths...3/4, 7/8, 1 inch.
Easy to put in...it's very flexible...just slips into the moulding. No tools needed other than sissors to cut it.
If you play around with googling the trim, it does come in several colors, black, off white, white, brown, tan, silver, gray, red, blue, green.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Chief tinkerer

Rubber trim in the curve above the cab doors on class "C"

Tomban, at least you noticed yours in time. I didn't until it was out for about three feet and waving at passing cars going through South Georgia. Next exit, out came the drill-driver, pulled the screw that was under the seal in the corner, put seal back into place, dab of sealer in the hole, on the screw and nailed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trimfastener.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	178815  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

It's actually called vinyl trim screw cover. It folds in half to be inserted. It is sad when it shrinks with full body paint but after replacing it you'll barely notice the difference. You can purchase it on eBay also. Look for trim made in the USA as it lasts longer.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomban View Post
We have a 2017 Forester 3051s, bought it new, spent the initial trip in Florida for the winter. Of course there were some issues to be fixed when we got back. One issue was the molding on the cab cover pulled away at the bend over the door (no pics) . The dealer replaced the molding and told me that it had shrunk. My question is if it shrank once why won't it happen again? Anybody have this problem and anyway to stop it from happening again?
I'm planning on asking a factory rep at the international rally this year and see what they say.
Thanks for any reply.
I had the same problem on my Sunseeker. I removed the screw on the bottom of the strip insert and pushed the strip up to fit into the curve. Then I used the screw to attach the end of the strip higher up. The missing piece of strip on the bottom is hardly noticeable, especially if the color underneath is the same. I did buy a replacement strip (on Amazon) and I may eventually fill the space with a short piece.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #8

Same thing is happening to me. When my coach was in for servicing, the owner said they could fix it for around $100.00, parts and labor. OR, I could do it myself with a hair dryer to soften the trim, stretch it, then use the screw that GIDYUPGO mentions to hold it in place. He also says that is the way that RV service companies fix this problem. I'm going to do it before my next trip.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

I replaced one side on mine, but I would not heat it. Put mine in at outside temp.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

I think heating it I get it to stretch only it shrink back out of the channel when cools. If this is how the factory applies the trim no wonder it comes out so easily.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #11

Mine was fixed at the Goshen rally last year. They had to stretch it to match the full body paint stripes then put 2 screws at the bend and 1 screw at the bottom. Almost a year and no more issues. The driver's side never shrank.
The repair tech made a note to tell the factory not to stretch it during installation as it caused them to cut it too short.

I'm sure they jumped right on that. [emoji6]
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #12

Mine shrinks and pulls out every winter, and on the first warm trip of the spring I tuck it back in. Stays put all Summer.
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #13

Screw strip vinyl molding

We originally put our back in , then as we were driving down the highway we saw it flapping in the wind. It had also cracked in one spot. Wish we had thought to add the screws at the bend before it was damaged. We replaced it with colonial white which matches our lightest color.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #14

Going through Palm Springs on the 10 interstate last week 118 degrees outside, all of a sudden the passenger side completely came off all the way and was flapping the side of the unit, it sounded like a belt slapping our doors. Funny but we just cut it off at that point. Drivers side the screw at the top helped and it's been perfect ever since.
BEMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:33 PM   #15

We also have this issue with our 2017 Forester 3051S. I wasn't sure exactly how to measure the channel for the replacement and since the RV is in storage isn't handy to do right now. Can someone with this model who has purchased replacement vinyl tell me what width they purchased. Thanks
Kathy3051s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy3051s View Post
We also have this issue with our 2017 Forester 3051S. I wasn't sure exactly how to measure the channel for the replacement and since the RV is in storage isn't handy to do right now. Can someone with this model who has purchased replacement vinyl tell me what width they purchased. Thanks
There is a much newer thread on this subject rather than resurrecting a deado.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2463681

Tags
cover, mold