Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmersereau View Post
Thanks, this is interesting the parts sure look right although listed as above floor, the slide is actually below, the must have done a hybrid thing.
The above floor, in wall, through frame, slide outs describe the interior of the unit. It is how it sits on the interior floor ( flush, ledge ect..) All of the slide out guts are below the slide out box floor.
Print the manual, keep it in your records for when the warranty runs out so you can repair yourself of get it repaired.
Show page 28 to your dealer so they can get moving on this repair.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #22

Thanks for posting the manual crunchman...downloaded! A wealth of information right there.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtexx View Post
Thanks for posting the manual crunchman...downloaded! A wealth of information right there.
You are welcome, the manual is a must have for anyone that owns a Forest River or any Lippert component in their RV.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmersereau View Post
Thanks! I already have that he won't return calls to the dealer.
I think that you've spent enough time waiting for a return call. It's time to start "climbing the chain of command". I'd leave one last message giving him 24 hours to return a call then find out who his boss is. If that person isn't responsive, then the next, etc. Be SURE to document every time that you've left a phone message, sent e-mail, etc. - same thing with any attempts that the dealer has made. In fairness, I've found that at times the dealer isn't always giving the full story about receiving repair authorization, getting repair parts, etc. so that kind of puts a little bit of the monkey on them if you ask for their information also.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #25

FR products

We bought our 2016 FR 25 ft MBS Summer 2015! We purchased it locally here in the San Diego area from Norm's RV (Poway)! It was a rental with 11K miles on it with warranties still in effect! We got a fantastic deal on it! Norm's is a small local dealership that's been around for at least 2 decades! He and his wife started out by renting their own RV! In any event, on top of everything else they had their own guarantee on it to include buy back! We put extended House and MB vehicle warranties on it as well! We didn't take it on a test trip! We went Cross Country and back (3 months)! We did that again last year as well! Then local coastal trips here in CA! We have only had two minor issues (warranty)! One was rust under the entry step (bolts)! Norms took care of them and I doubt FR has reimbursed them yet! It's very common FR problem! Local dealers make warranty repairs and FR nearly always short changes the dealer, takes forever to send replacement parts, and often dealers have to eat the warranty costs themselves! However, reputable dealers want your return business or your referrals! So there's often a trade off between taking care of you the local customer and doing battle with FR. My point: your local dealer is critical to your RV enjoyment! FR will hang you and your dealer out to dry! Our dealer is superb! On the road you may experience FR Dealers who won't front or eat warranty costs because you didn't buy it from them! Frankly the FR home office talks a great story but really doesn't care! FR isn't alone! It's a common RV industry problem! And if it doesn't cease I predict the industry as a whole will go into another huge slump! BTW, ours now has just under 40K miles on it! We get all services done as scheduled! After cross country trips if a service isn't due, we still get the MB oil and filter changed! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #26

We have had a few "issues with our 2014 Wildwood, but each one had to do with installed OEM items. So far, we have no significant problems with FR workmanship and quality.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #27

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
To the original poster.
Page #28 shows a diagram of your slideout. You will see a bolt and nut that goes through the threaded hole on your "stop block".
Give this to your dealer so he can look at the copy they have in the shop.
I ran across this helping another member.

Parts, E, E1, E2 and E3. The Lippert part numbers are listed on the same page.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ble-manual.pdf
Shame on your dealer.
Thanks for the link!
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #28

FR Products

Although my own comments were book length, We are very very happy with our FR with only two minor issues (OEM as well)! We'd buy one again and that's the bottom line! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #29

Send a message via MSN to redjet
The rust on your slide gear packs looks familiar. We spend the winter months at the Texas coast and without maintenance any exposed or poorly painted metal will rust. Ask me how I know. Anyway after we got our 2016 Cardinal we had it undercoated as soon as we got to the coast. In addition, it is a must to lube all of the gear packs and along the under edges of the geared arms on the slide every couple of weeks, when in a salt air environment. LCi recommends: CRC Power Lube, High Performance Lubricant w/PTFE. The auto parts stores don't seem to carry it but we found it on Amazon. During 2017 FROG Goshen Rally, an LCi tech sprayed all of the gear packs on the fifth wheel, as they squeaked bring slides in and out. When he was done, absolute no noises and smooth operation.

This will not fix your current problem, however, the rust and lack of lubrication on the gear packs could cause some resistance during the slides movement. Just a suggestion - good luck.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2020 Ford F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Lariat - 4X4
2018 Club Car - Gas - Lifted
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #30

I am a long time Airstream owner who recently switched to a Coachman trailer. I also owned a pop-up rental business and used nothing but Rockwood 1940s. These units got used more in one summer month than a normal owner used them in several years. I replaced them every three years and they were still in good condition. I cannot sing the praises of Forest River customer service enough. They were always helpful and did what they could to keep my pop-ups on the road.
Somewhere there has to be a disconnect with your problem. I too had a problem with our slide in our Coachman. Forest River got back to me immediately. The dealer ordered the parts and offered to walk me through the repair.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #31

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
To the original poster.
Page #28 shows a diagram of your slideout. You will see a bolt and nut that goes through the threaded hole on your "stop block".
Give this to your dealer so he can look at the copy they have in the shop.
I ran across this helping another member.

Parts, E, E1, E2 and E3. The Lippert part numbers are listed on the same page.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ble-manual.pdf
Shame on your dealer.

Great manual covers alot of Lippert items!

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #32

I live for things like this. Lives too short to go through it pieced off. Get yourself a drill bit and tap and rethread the holes with new bolts and move on.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
I live for things like this. Lives too short to go through it pieced off. Get yourself a drill bit and tap and rethread the holes with new bolts and move on.
I agree! I tell everyone how much we like our Forest River trailer. Sure we had some issues. But they have all been addressed and no one got all nasty about it.
You will attract more bees with honey than vinegar.
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #34

I love my unit.
Sure there is stuff to fix from time to time and maintenance. (lube, caulking, loose screws and mechanisms)
Part of it.

Imagine if you drove your house down the road...oh wait!...
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I love my unit.
Sure there is stuff to fix from time to time and maintenance. (lube, caulking, loose screws and mechanisms)
Part of it.

Imagine if you drove your house down the road...oh wait!...
Every year I am on the fence, keep camping, or try something new for vacations. And it always comes down to the maintenance and time spent.

Our unit sits 11 months a year, and we camp for a month straight in the summer

And of course camping is jsut getting more and more expensive as well.

But then when we are camping, we love it :-)
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #36

I have noticed a lot of screws coming loose and occasionally falling out. True, one must keep an eye out looking -- before major problems occur.

I put them back in with some epoxy in the hole and on the screws -- usually takes care of it for good.

After owning several different types of motorhomes and this Forest River trailer now carrying epoxy is a must.

Almost a guarantee go around checking all the screws you see there will be a several loose ones.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Every year I am on the fence, keep camping, or try something new for vacations. And it always comes down to the maintenance and time spent.

Go more.
Do 1 nighters on the weekends.
Keeps the rig in better shape by using everything.
I usually do not go out in the summer- too crowded.
We are fall/winter/spring campers.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Go more.
Do 1 nighters on the weekends.
Keeps the rig in better shape by using everything.
I usually do not go out in the summer- too crowded.
We are fall/winter/spring campers.
Hate one nighters, to much work for a night. If we go, we go for a month straight, so it feels like a vacation

Do an occasional long weekend, but not as much, to much time wasted either driving or prepping, for a couple days
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #39
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post

I have a house near a lake, not lakefront but close. When I'm not there I think of what I can do with all the time and money i'd have if I didn't have it... But when I'm there....

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #40

I'm sorry,but I can't help but wonder why your slide out mechanism is in such terrible condition
Mine is a 2014 and both slide show
Zero corrosion and work flawlessly
For at least 40 cycles between camping and maintenance
I spray them several times a year with the Anti corrosion
I wax the sides,lube all rubber seals 4-5 times a year and clean the toppers monthly never retracting with any debris on them.
There's got to be more to this story
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river