Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #1

RV Campground Cable TV

2016 3010DS Sunseeker; Have stayed at more than a few RV Parks that provide cable hook-up. In every case, the reception is very poor, that is, there are slanted lines and distortion on every channel that comes in.

I have tried both outside-of-the RV inputs, and all output connections inside the RV, to no avail.

I have selected every possible iteration of scanning on the Jensen TV, again, with no success.

One more thing I tried this past week at two RV Camps, I brought the campground hookup coax directly through the door and hooked it up to the input on the TV, same result.

Our OTA antenna pulls in clear channels, as does our Tailgater with Dish, although I prefer not to mess with all the nonsense that is encountered every time I activate the Dish system.

Anyone encounter this phenonmena? If so, any solutions? Could it be the Jensen TV?

Thanks
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you turning off the antenna booster button, when scanning on the cable setting?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #3

I would guess that it is likely due to signal loss and interference which result from the campground running way-too-long cable runs and too many splits along the way. You often see similar problems in hotels that try to cheap out on their TV runs.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #4

Could be the TV tuner but I don't know much about the Jenson TVs. I was just wondering if you are using the same piece of coax each time you try the cable hookup? I have had bad pieces of coax before. It would be nice to try another small TV hooked to the same cable hookup in camper to see if it acts the same.
Just thinking out loud here. Hope you find the problem.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

Yup, first guess is bad supply coax cable. Either yours or the CGs. I'd try a little isolation troubleshooting. IOW, isolate the prob between the CG, your supply coax, your television, and your TT television cabling.
Has this setup ever worked before?
MY TT only had a television OUTPUT on the outside from the antenna. I opened up my antenna to TV connection, figured out which was the antenna to outside wire connection, removed that from the amplifier module and added a two coax jack panel beside the antenna amp coax panel. The outside tv coax cable is connected to the new panel. Right now I have to connect the cable to one or the other panel depending on my TV source. I can use a short jumper coax to go from the antenna panel to the new panel to send the signal outside, if desired.
Last, Some CGs TV systems require you to use a decoder box that you sign out from the office, like cable systems at home.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #6

Jensen tv

I have a 2016 Forrester 3011ds. If like mine I have a switch in a cabinet next to tv that I had to flip in order for cable to work. I had same issues for a long.....time until I found this.
Delmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmer View Post
I have a 2016 Forrester 3011ds. If like mine I have a switch in a cabinet next to tv that I had to flip in order for cable to work. I had same issues for a long.....time until I found this.
Same here on the "button" on mine. Never a problem since. I have a 24 in Roku tv. Not expensive but seems to work.
MIke
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post
2016 3010DS Sunseeker; Have stayed at more than a few RV Parks that provide cable hook-up. In every case, the reception is very poor, that is, there are slanted lines and distortion on every channel that comes in.

I have tried both outside-of-the RV inputs, and all output connections inside the RV, to no avail.

I have selected every possible iteration of scanning on the Jensen TV, again, with no success.

One more thing I tried this past week at two RV Camps, I brought the campground hookup coax directly through the door and hooked it up to the input on the TV, same result.

Our OTA antenna pulls in clear channels, as does our Tailgater with Dish, although I prefer not to mess with all the nonsense that is encountered every time I activate the Dish system.

Anyone encounter this phenonmena? If so, any solutions? Could it be the Jensen TV?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you turning off the antenna booster button, when scanning on the cable setting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Same here on the "button" on mine. Never a problem since. I have a 24 in Roku tv. Not expensive but seems to work.
MIke
Looks like he ran a cable straight from the pedestal to the tv. Seems like that would eliminate the booster button from the equation?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #9

I've stayed in campgrounds with older analog systems with poor quality. I've been in a couple with newer digital systems and much better quality. We have all become accustomed to the quality of digital (which includes OTA.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #10

As for Dish, I have Dish anywhere on our IPad and with a HDMI cable plugged into a apple device I get all my home channels and DVR recordings. We use this way more than local over the air or campground cable.
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #11

We ran into the same problem. Couldn’t figure it out. Then it came to our attention that we needed to turn our cable button Off inside the Rv. Worked perfectly after that!
Nancy0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #12

its funny the resort i work at. the cable is the same age in the buldings as it is in the campground. its very aged and a pain to deal with. in the rv section its a combitnation of things. 1 up keep is a pain as pople dont thing about where they put stakes into the ground. yes people put stakes near the boxes to tie things down(hint look for pedistals and at where other sites are and try and imagine how the wires are ran) and knick the cable its very shallow compared to ele. then you throw in that the jack you tie into is exposed to the weather. your cable you use to tie into is exposed to the weather and im willing to bet most people dont buy an outside rated line.
we are not allowed to enter peoples rv but you would be supised at how much signal drop there is from even the box to the end of tie in lines becuase of crappy lines and then if they have an outside jack some times i will check signal there and yep you guessed it a fair more amount of drop
Old 04-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #13

It sounds like the insulation on the coax cable may be compromised. See if the office has a device to check the signal at your site.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #14
Weekender

Very few campgrounds have HD signal distribution equipment. So what you get is either analog signals or standard definition digital signals. Now if you consider that as your starting point, even minor signal loss in your rv cable system only helps to decrease the signal quality even more. OTA and satellite signals (Dish network) start with HD signals which is why they look so much better.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
StlClay

Suggest you might check with your camping neighbors to see if their reception is the same. A couple of neighbors opinions can isolate your problem

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post

Thanks

Going directly from the CG's cable connection to the Tv would seem to eliminate a problem IN the RV's cabling. Assuming you switched the Tv setting from "Air or Antenna" to "Cable" AND then performed a new channel scan (you should see the tuner finding channels as it scans) and are still having the same issue, I would start considering that your coax cable that you're using is bad. Try a new cable.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #17

Cable box

At our campground the signal in the transient spots is fine--but it's a scrambled signal and useless unless you have a cable box. The office staff will loan you one, and a short cable, but they never remember to offer it. You have to know to ask. Sometimes folks have stayed a day or two before they think to ask one of the seasonal or year-round residents.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #18

We stayed at a large park in south Texas the winter of 18-19 and they provided cable for $30.00 per month. At times it would pixel, tear, freeze and just go out completely. Cable service people would be called and they came when it was convenient for them. Several times over weekends they didn't show at all. Well, another person and I finally found a workamper at this park (over 300 sites) that answered our questions.

He basically said that provider _______ Cable used to let the park do the reset on the main
coax junction shed but decided that because the park did not want to spend the thousands of dollar to convert to a cable box system they changed the codes so only ______cable techs could do the reset.

The park did not want to handle probably 150 to 200 boxes for the guests, charge them a fee for the box, then chase them down to return said box or charge their credit card $100.00. And I agreeded with that. Can you imagine being 50-100-150 miles down the road and the park calls and says return the box please or it's $100.00?:

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMan View Post
As for Dish, I have Dish anywhere on our IPad and with a HDMI cable plugged into a apple device I get all my home channels and DVR recordings. We use this way more than local over the air or campground cable.
I have the same setup except I use an iPhone 7. The Dish anywhere programming displays nicely on the phone but won’t display on the Television. (The sound comes through but no picture.) Some research turns up that Dish won’t allow it to go to TV from a handheld device. How did you overcome that?
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #20

RV Campground Cable TV

Thanks to all for the input. I've already tried just about every suggestion, except walk over to a neighboring camper and see how theirs is working, and trying it on a different TV, both which I will do on our next outing.

Did not know about converter boxes from the camps. Will investigate that as well.

Will follow up when I have more info.

Thanks again
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, campground, mpg