Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

RV GPS

I just ordered a GPS specifically made for RVs. Do any of you use one ? My fear is low bridges. DH says if you pay attention it's not an issue...but having one will make traveling more enjoyable for me. (Now only if there were an app for easy accessible gas stations !)
Eve
Attached Images

Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Eve View Post
I just ordered a GPS specifically made for RVs. Do any of you use one ? My fear is low bridges. DH says if you pay attention it's not an issue...but having one will make traveling more enjoyable for me. (Now only if there were an app for easy accessible gas stations !)
Eve
We use a Garmin 760 RV GPS. Still double checks our route with the Motor Carriers Book for low clearances. The Garmin gives a lot of information such as what lane to get in in advance, fuel stops, restaurants, etc. We valued it when traveling with the 5th wheel.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #3

GPS & Route planning

I apologize but as a newbie who will be picking up our new motor home in the next few weeks, how big a problem are low clearance overpasses, etc?
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

Foresters are relatively low (about a foot less) compared to many class As and 5th wheels. I have never had an issue with low clearances. Roads are usually marked well ahead of any low clerances so you can take another route. Most tight spots I have been in were gas stations and small narrow town turns and streets. Round abouts can also get hairy. I use a standard Garmin GPS and have never had a problem.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

GPS & Route planning

Thanks ATV. I believe my new Forester is 11' 1" according to the spec sheet. I thought I would be okay but the post had me thinking. I also use a standard Garmin GPS due to its ease of use.
Thanks for the response.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #6

I also used a regular Garmin but they will route you thru residential areas which is not good. Got the Garmin RV 760, love it tells you alot of information fuel stops , rv parks, rv maintenance.
frankw1956 is offline   Reply With Quote