Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

RV Transported back to factory

While we love our new RV (Forest 24r), it has been quite a nightmare in terms of service. Our roof has leaked since we bought it. Three trips back to Camper's Inn of Philadelphia (DON"T EVER BUY FROM THEM) with no improvement. In addition to the leak, our running boards are loose, our shower door latch has snapped off twice, our skylight blind doesn't work, and our radio cuts off at random. Our gas tank had to be replaced by Mercedes who also found water damage to an electronic part. Our check engine light has come on with no problems found.
Whew! So, we gave up on Camper's Inn and contacted FR directly. After a delay on their part, we are ready to have the RV transported back to the factory to be fixed.
Has anyone gone this route before? Can we expect fixes or is this just another waste of time? Any advice? What about the 1000+ miles about to be put on our RV? To top it off, the transport company wants to tow a vehicle with our camper, something we didn't plan on.
Any insight or experience would be great!
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Typically FR has gone above and beyond when they have taken an RV back for repairs there has been reports of stuff being fixed that was not even mentioned.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

I have heard that the factory has done people right when they have taken them through. As far as the transport company, that's silly towing another vehicle with a customers RV...Not me and if possible I would just take it up there.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

A quick search here will uncover the fact that almost everyone who had their RV serviced by the factory was very satisfied with the result. As for the tow issue, I would tell them no, make sure it is included in any paperwork you execute for the transport and install a locking hitch pin in the receiver. Yes they can cut off, but there is no reason to remove it unless they are towing something.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

The transporter is towing there car so when they reach destination they can get home.
How do you think campers get to a dealer. Plus the person taking the rig back is not aloud to sleep in your rig. Or use facility's. They have to get hotel room or sleep in there car.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Team

There is no way I would authorize a transport company to tow a car with my motor home. Especially when you have an intermittent CEL and other M-B Sprinter issues. Put a locking hitch pin on it and don't give anyone the key, as no one needs it.

FR did an excellent job of fixing issues on our 2390 at the FROG Rally. It took a team of techs three days but they addressed everything at the fairgrounds in a parking lot. I think a real factory visit is a great opportunity....

I dropped off our motor home's delivery driver at the Grey Hound bus station for him to get home. The FT line up doesn't come with a hitch installed so he couldn't have towed anything if he had wanted to...
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Believe me your rv has towed a vehicle Wheather you new it or not if you bought new

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

My park model travel trailer was picked up in Delaware by a hauler and taken to the factory in Indiana for repair. They did a good job for me including some extras.

I would advise you to tape a complete list of all issues to your dinette table, keep a copy for yourself, and request the factory to contact you to discuss the repairs when complete. Discuss every issue that you had and what they did to repair it. I had a good conversation with the factory supervisor in charge of my repairs.
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Typically FR has gone above and beyond when they have taken an RV back for repairs there has been reports of stuff being fixed that was not even mentioned.
I agree completely, ... we experienced this very thing back in the summer when FR returned our tt from a floor replacement job, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #11

I drove my own and FR flew me back. I would NOT ever let anyone tow. too many what ifs. At this point You really do not have any option . You need it fixed. Either you or soeone you know should take it. That way you can go over and show the issues and when you pick it up verify the repairs. Ask for the warranty to be extended for a period of time --- in writing
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #12

Isn’t there a “lemon law” for something this bad...to protect us?
James Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
I drove my own and FR flew me back. I would NOT ever let anyone tow. too many what ifs. At this point You really do not have any option . You need it fixed. Either you or soeone you know should take it. That way you can go over and show the issues and when you pick it up verify the repairs. Ask for the warranty to be extended for a period of time --- in writing
Very good idea!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jake View Post
Isnít there a ďlemon lawĒ for something this bad...to protect us?

Depends on the state. Some donít have them for campers / RVís at all. Ohio does.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #15

I have a follow-up question about transportation: What sort of documents should we expect from the person transporting our rv?
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Campers View Post
I have a follow-up question about transportation: What sort of documents should we expect from the person transporting our rv?

I'd contact my own insurance company to see what they have to say on that issue. And to confirm what my coverage is if something happens. In today's "sue 'em" happy society you can bet you'll be in the mix if an accident occurs...
Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jake View Post
Isnít there a ďlemon lawĒ for something this bad...to protect us?
What is covered also varies by State. We are covered under the Lemon Law for motor homes in Georgia. But only for the chassis, not the "house" built on it...
Old 11-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #18
ARLO

FR did a great job when they brought our Flagstaff back to the factory for a onew floor. even fixed some things that we did not mention.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #19

Originally Posted by donniedu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x2!
x3, from personal experience. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #20

FR Factory Service

The factory service that we experienced in relation to our saber fifth wheel was exemplary. Also, anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to participate in the frog rally will testify that the factory service during that event is second to none.
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, sport