Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #1

Question Safe T Plus installation

I have my stabilizer and bracket and plan to install this evening.

Question: Did you remove the existing Ford stabilizer?

Question: Did you just replace with existing Ford mounting brackets or did you completely remove the Ford parts and install per Safe T Plus instructions?

Thanks

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #2

I installed the Safe-T-Plus on Ford E-450 following the company’s directions, which is to remove the Ford steering damper and it’s bracket, then install the Safe-T-Plus bracket and their unit. The Safe-T-Plus stationary mount is on the opposite side of frame from where the Ford damper had mounted.

I had to grind the base of the Safe-T-Plus bracket sightly to eliminate interference with the truck frame.

One thing that annoyed me was that the instructions gave no torque spec for the Safe-T-Plus stationary bracket mounting bolts. The company was no help, giving me erroneous answers at first, and finally telling me I had to contact Ford Motor Company for the answer.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I installed the Safe-T-Plus on Ford E-450 following the company’s directions, which is to remove the Ford steering damper and it’s bracket, then install the Safe-T-Plus bracket and their unit. The Safe-T-Plus stationary mount is on the opposite side of frame from where the Ford damper had mounted.

I had to grind the base of the Safe-T-Plus bracket sightly to eliminate interference with the truck frame.

One thing that annoyed me was that the instructions gave no torque spec for the Safe-T-Plus stationary bracket mounting bolts. The company was no help, giving me erroneous answers at first, and finally telling me I had to contact Ford Motor Company for the answer.
I just upgraded the front sway bar to the Hellwig so I know the torque specs for that bracket. They are 111 ft-lbs for the front and only 18 for the rear.

Cool, thanks!

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
I just upgraded the front sway bar to the Hellwig so I know the torque specs for that bracket. They are 111 ft-lbs for the front and only 18 for the rear.

Cool, thanks!
Good to know the torque specs. Thanks.

Safe-T-Plus had originally responded to my question by telling me both bolts were to be tightened to 250 ft-lbs Anyone would see this would have certainly twisted the head right off the rear bolt, and likely damaged the front bolt.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

I had my ST+ installed at their headquarters. When they removed the Ford stabilizer they threw it onto a pile of Ford stabilizers in a big box. Must have been 50-60 of them in there.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I had my ST+ installed at their headquarters. When they removed the Ford stabilizer they threw it onto a pile of Ford stabilizers in a big box. Must have been 50-60 of them in there.
Hmm. That makes me wonder what mounting bolt torque they use for installations at their headquarters. Safe-T-Plus told me they didn’t know the torque specs for the Ford bolts that are used for attaching their own Safe-T-Plus bracket, and that I should contact Ford Motor Co. That leads me to think they are just guessing when they do their own installations.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Hmm. That makes me wonder what mounting bolt torque they use for installations at their headquarters. Safe-T-Plus told me they didn’t know the torque specs for the Ford bolts that are used for attaching their own Safe-T-Plus bracket, and that I should contact Ford Motor Co. That leads me to think they are just guessIng when they do their own installations.
I watched them install mine and they did use a torque wrench. However, I don’t know what torq spec was used.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I watched them install mine and they did use a torque wrench. However, I don’t know what torq spec was used.
Safe-T-Plus does specify a torque for the other bracket that clamps to the steering linkage, so maybe that is where they were using a torque wrench. That bracket is easy to bend if over tightened.