Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Satellite dish selection

Not sure if this is the best place for this but we are looking to upgrade our 2014 SunSeeker 2300 for better livability with a remodel inside and the addition of a mobile satellite dish. I have read lots of reviews on the dishes and receivers and the type of cable required and THOUGHT I knew what we needed. One trip to the RV store and now I am totally confused after talking to the sales person. I had it figured out but now there is new models that are 'better' but smaller and lighter. I thought it could be stored in the basement but they said no, on the bed when traveling due to their delicate nature. We plan to use Dish as our provider as we already have Dish so $7 a month for the service is a buy. I would like to know what satellite dish performs best across the lower 48 and Alaska. My head is spinning from all the brands, types, powered by cable or separate power source, tripod, no tripod, throw it on the ground, has to be level, install it myself or have the provider install it. Our MH is small so storage on long journeys is a concern and I don't want a roof mount after previous experiences with one. We also want HD when we are stranded inside the RV. We have the cable booster and only one TV.
What do you use and how does it perform?
Did you install it yourself?
Did you have to run new type cabling in your MH?
Did you have to get a switching box to have choices between cable, antennae and satellite?
Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

I use a tailgater and keep it in the basement in the box it came in. Since 2012.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use a tailgater and keep it in the basement in the box it came in. Since 2012.

I wondered how it could be that delicate. You like yours?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

Why not get it mounted on top. I did on a 2014 2860. The only issue with it is the service sucks. I have never got mine to work. You have to call every time you change locations and give them your zip code to get local programming. Besides that there is always an issue and hours on the phone and they cant resolve them. I have dish also
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

I have a Tailgater that I carry in the storage compartment of my 5er and a Pathway X2 that I carry inside, and bring a receiver from home with no extra monthly fees. I am Trying to sell the Tailgater
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Chief tinkerer

Pathway x2 bundle from Walmart and we added the vip211 that came with it to our house acct. for $7/mo. You can get a satellite finder app for your smartphone to help place it where it has a hole through the trees. Turn it on and it will aim itself. Ours also rides in its original box in the basement.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #7

Same as W5CI and Gidyupgo. We really like the Pathway x2. One advantage over a permanently mounted antenna is that you can place it where trees or other obstructions would interfere with the signal. And you can have two TVs watching different channels.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

I like our tailgater a lot. Had one problem when we first got it, they sent a new one to us over night where we were at the time. They changed something with their service. As long as I use it once a month, I don't have to call. Eariler this year I didn't use for a couple months and it took a bit to reprogram it but since has been great. I have been in Central PA and Rhinebeck NY. and received all the same channels I have at home. If I want local I use the onboard ant. I liked Dish so well that I dumped Comcast at home and got dish. More channels and cheaper with much better service. Hope this helps. Oh yea, retired from Verizon!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

I have a King Tailgater and a Wally stb for a little over a year. Haven't had a problem getting a signal yet. Going back east in 3 weeks, we will see. I store it under the bed when traveling.
Happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

I had a Tailgater for a few years and had no issues. I now have a Dish Playmaker (a dome receiver) and like the foot print a lot better and it is more compact than the Tailgater. Both of these antennas only provide a single output so if 2 TV indipendent viewing is what you want neither will provide that. The Wally receiver is a compact RF remotely controlled unit with excellent characteristics. It only provides an HDMI output for HD viewing. The only VIP211 series receiver that has HDMI and coax outputs is the VIP211K. Of course coax will only provide SD viewing. The Wally is cheaper if you purchase it through Dish. The Playmaker is among the least expensive antennas. As with all carryouts that have a very small dish a pretty clear unobstructed view of the Southern sky is a requirement. The Playmaker does seem to outperform the tailgater in this area. Wireless HDMI interconnect is also another option installed by several forum members. An unobstructed ( no splitters etc.) coax interconnect between the antenna and receiver is a requirement. The Dish receiver provides the power for the antenna through the coax interconnect. The antenna can be placed just about anywhere (ground/table/roof etc). I have not had any issues with Dish network at home or in the RV for a number of years. Many choices available.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #11
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I want to thank you all for your responses. Out of curiosity can I bring my Hopper w/sling for my receiver? I don't care about getting the local channels. As someone else said if I want them I can get them by antennae.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #12

There are no Hoppers that work with the automatic antennas. I used to bring my older Hopper and it worked fine with a tripod mounted antenna. I now have the Pathway X2 and two 211Z receivers. I guess you could bring a Hopper just to watch recorded content.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
There are no Hoppers that work with the automatic antennas. I used to bring my older Hopper and it worked fine with a tripod mounted antenna. I now have the Pathway X2 and two 211Z receivers. I guess you could bring a Hopper just to watch recorded content.

Ok! Now this helps me out. I could not understand why I had to buy another receiver with a new dish and now I know. It is just a confusing jumble of dishes and receivers to wade through and determine what works and what doesn't. From what I am reading the Pathway X2 appears to do the best job with the least trouble. Everyone please correct me if I have come to the wrong conclusion.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

Western Digital has a storage system for dish. Down load to your hopper and transfer to the WD box then connect to the box in the RV. Works great for rainy days.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Western Digital has a storage system for dish. Down load to your hopper and transfer to the WD box then connect to the box in the RV. Works great for rainy days.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Pathway x2 bundle from Walmart and we added the vip211 that came with it to our house acct. for $7/mo. You can get a satellite finder app for your smartphone to help place it where it has a hole through the trees. Turn it on and it will aim itself. Ours also rides in its original box in the basement.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #17
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Same as W5CI and Gidyupgo. We really like the Pathway x2. One advantage over a permanently mounted antenna is that you can place it where trees or other obstructions would interfere with the signal. And you can have two TVs watching different channels.

I had a dome mounted on the roof and I know you are at the mercy of the campsite so we usually ended up taking a site with no trees and in the sun. We don't spend all of our time watching TV but it is nice when we just need a down day or it's raining and cold. Wife isn't wanting the X2 because of its size but I think I have room in the basement for it and want something that works. Sales lady told me the X2 was being fazed out and the G2 is taking its place. She could see that I was not impressed so she offered a discount on the X2 but it was too late. I'll buy elsewhere cause I don't believe her. The G2 is a very small dish that did not appear to have the capabilities of the X2 so I ended up not buying anything.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #18

Quote:
If only we could play them back on a Wally or 211Z...
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #19
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
If only we could play them back on a Wally or 211Z...

Yes
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #20

The WD will play back on them. That's what I use.

Tags
lite, satellite, select