Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #1

Satellite TV and Jenson Radio question.

I just picked up a 2018 3011DS last week and have been going through the forums looking for hints, tricks and anything that can help me. So far I have 2 questions that I have been unable to find the answers for...

First is my Jenson Radio. I put in a CD and it plays through all the speakers but the volume doesn't change. I go up and down with the volume but it always stays the same. Also when I put a DVD in the sound plays through the tv speakers. Is there a way to get the sound through all the speakers? For that matter, can I get the tv sound to always come through the speakers?

Second...i will be using my Dish Tailgater and was wondering if I just hook the coax to the cable connection on the connection by the electrical connection? Or is that too simple?

Actually I have a third question. I have read that all 2018 Foresters had an WI fi extender installed for use in campgrounds. Is this true? And if so where is it located? I have found the little unit that connects my phone so I can use the app. Is this what they are talking about?

Thanks in advance.
Dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

When playing a DVD your jensen unit needs to be selected to HDMI ARC mode. Satellite connection is on the roof. Then the receiver connection is near your power booster on a separate plate.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

In my 2018 3011DS the coax near the power booster is for the OTA antenna and cable. The satellite receiver coax connection is in the open compartment above the power booster space. There is also a HDMI jack (that feeds the TV) to connect a satellite receiver output.

It's possible to use the outside cable connection for satellite but it can't go through the booster so some wiring modifications are needed. I've done that on previous RVs but on the current one I use the rooftop satellite connection.

Along with playing DVDs the HDMI ARC radio source setting also allows playing TV audio over the coach speakers.
tkljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkljr View Post
In my 2018 3011DS the coax near the power booster is for the OTA antenna and cable. The satellite receiver coax connection is in the open compartment above the power booster space. There is also a HDMI jack (that feeds the TV) to connect a satellite receiver output.

It's possible to use the outside cable connection for satellite but it can't go through the booster so some wiring modifications are needed. I've done that on previous RVs but on the current one I use the rooftop satellite connection.

Along with playing DVDs the HDMI ARC radio source setting also allows playing TV audio over the coach speakers.

Thanks for the reply. You said you use the rooftop satellite connection. Are you using that with a portable like the Tailgater? Also, the rooftop connection...is it exposed or does the roof need to be cut open? Is it possible to run a coax from the rooftop connection over to the ladder and just make a connection there to my portable when we park?
Thanks in advance
Dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys67 View Post
Thanks for the reply. You said you use the rooftop satellite connection. Are you using that with a portable like the Tailgater? Also, the rooftop connection...is it exposed or does the roof need to be cut open? Is it possible to run a coax from the rooftop connection over to the ladder and just make a connection there to my portable when we park?
Thanks in advance
On mine the roof coax connector is just behind the forward vent. It has a plastic cap that may be covered with some sealant but the roof doesn't need to be cut open. My primary sat antenna is a Tailgater VQ4500 with a quick release roof mount. I also have a Winegard Pathway X2 that I use when I don't have reception from the roof mount (the X2 can receive eastern and western arc sats). When using the X2 I do just what you asked about, run temporary coax from the rooftop connection to wherever I've found a good spot for the X2.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
First is my Jenson Radio. I put in a CD and it plays through all the speakers but the volume doesn't change. I go up and down with the volume but it always stays the same. Also when I put a DVD in the sound plays through the tv speakers. Is there a way to get the sound through all the speakers? For that matter, can I get the tv sound to always come through the speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Did you figure this out? We just picked up our unit yesterday and had the same problem. But it is like that by design. Inside and outside speaker play on all zones (AB and C). But only inside speakers volume can be controlled on zone A and only outside volume on zone B. Kinda messed up but it works.
firemech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #7

Quote:
I just picked up a 2018 3011DS last week and have been going through the forums looking for hints, tricks and anything that can help me. So far I have 2 questions that I have been unable to find the answers for...

Second...i will be using my Dish Tailgater and was wondering if I just hook the coax to the cable connection on the connection by the electrical connection? Or is that too simple?

Actually I have a third question. I have read that all 2018 Foresters had an WI fi extender installed for use in campgrounds. Is this true? And if so where is it located? I have found the little unit that connects my phone so I can use the app. Is this what they are talking about?

Thanks in advance.
If you dont mind me asking where was the sticker for the Inside control panel. I thought it would of been in the manuals but didnt see it.im going back tomorrow to check out the RV and was going to look inside didnt know if there was a certain spot I should look. I really want to hook my phone up so I can control the lights, awning, etc.

Thanks in advance
Djtonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 AM   #8

Mine is a sticker inside the kitchen cabinet over the sink on the back wall.
Golden Doodle
Chocolate Lab
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemech2 View Post
Mine is a sticker inside the kitchen cabinet over the sink on the back wall.
okay prefect I found a large sticker there but that was just laying at the bottom I didnt look on the cabinet though that will be the first place I look! Thank you for the info!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #10

I took a picture of it so it is always on my phone.
Golden Doodle
Chocolate Lab
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemech2 View Post
I took a picture of it so it is always on my phone.
prefect found it and was able to connect no problem. It was raining when we went to visit the RV but I would be interested to see how far I can go to control it

Thanks again for all the help
Old 04-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #12

I have a new Dish Tailgater and I set it on an outside table - pointing south. I then connected the cable to it, and ran the cable into the TT through the opening at the bottom of my slide out. I connected the cable to the Dish receiver.
Note: the Dish guy said the line must go directly to the receiver; No break or splitter.
I then connected a HDMI cable to the receiver's HDMI port to the HDMI port on the Jensen (or any TV). It works.
Ram2500 4x4 diesel / FR 251rks TT
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkljr View Post

I've been trying to figure out how to use a campground cable box w/ my rig. So that outlet above my door on the other side of my antenna power booster is for a satellite box? I was hoping the campground cable box would plug into the Coax in that slot, and then the HDMI out of the cable box would go into the HDMI jack that is right above that cable jack.

If this isn't the case, how do we use a campground cable box?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #14

The easiest way would be to connect the campground coax to the roof connector but if you wanted something a little more permanent you could disconnect the coax feed from the back of the booster, add a short coax jumper, disconnect the sat coax from the back of the wall plate and connect the extended coax there.

On my 2018 3011 the radio is more or less between the two wall plates and removing it would make running the extended coax easier.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #15

Jennsen radio

Did you download the app for the radio called jControl? It makes it very easy to control the volume using your phone from inside or outside the rv. There was a previous post with a lot of information on the Jenssen radio. Maybe you could search using Jenssen and find it. It was helpful to us and I made a lot of notes from it that helped us get it working properly. It didn't mention jControl. I found out about it with the paperwork that came with the rv. Best of luck and the more you play with it the more you will learn.
Sherol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #16

tv through speakers?

So did you ever figure out how to get the tv sound through the speakers? We get speaker sound when playing a dvd, but can't figure out how to get the sound through the Jensen speakers when watching tv. Thanks!
Yetiprimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #17

I did, but the sound is a bit complicated to figure out.
On the Jensen radio, I needed to also turn it on and select the source as TV. I use the TV remote to "mute", and the Dish remote for channel selection.

We keep the extra Dish receiver all year and use it as an extra TV here at the house. The extra $7 a month is ok.
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #18

Thank you! My Jensen "source' doesn't have TV as an option but it worked on the HDMI ARC setting. I appreciate your reply! We are now watching Dish network with sound through the speakers. Awesome.
Yetiprimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #19

HDMI ARC first, then turn on TV

On our 3011ds we must turn the Jenson to HDMI ARC first, then turn on TV. As I recall, the satellite receiver is not so critical, but I needed to turn the power amplifier OFF in order to use shore cable tv. Turn it ON for using ‘TA TV.
Also, be very careful when unplugging DC plug from the power amp unit. The paneling is really thin and you can pull the whole amp unit out of the wall.
Psadave46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, radio, satellite