Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #1

Satellite tv on 3 TV's

We have a 2017 3011 with tv in front quarters, rear bedroom, and outside entertainment center. What is everyone doing to have the ability to watch different programs on all 3 tv's at the same time?
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #2

Sorry but that's not really an option.

First, you'd need 3-sat receivers none of the smaller RV sat dishes can accommadate more than 2 and even then you have to be on the same SAT for the TVs to watch different channels.

The way we all do this is watch one tv at a time and we can change channels to our heart's content. Or we watch a DVR on one tv, over the air via antenna on another tv and Sat tv on the third. Or better yet get 3 streaming devices, unlimited data and everyone can watch a different show via streaming.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

we have direct tv at home with a genie receiver/dvr, a video bridge, and two mini genie units. our trailer has a winegard travel'r antenna mounted on the roof. when we travel we just unplug the direct tv equipment at home and plug it into the cables in the trailer. to make it easier I bought an extra antenna power inserter and splitter and permanently mounted them to the antenna cable in the trailer. all that is required is to connect one coax to the genie receiver and one to the video bridge. plug the main hdmi cable into the genie. the two satellite tvs only require their hdmi cable to be plugged into one of the mini genies. they receive their own independent tv signal wirelessly from the video bridge. it works fine.

the only problem we had was with direct tv. they will not service or support an rv themselves. but there are independent rv service companies that will. when we travel we do not even inform direct tv of where the equipment is, trailer or house. with this setup you can watch satellite tv on any or all tv's each with its own channel or a recording on the genie dvr at any time and can also be watching either over the air or cable tv on others at the same time.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy1016 View Post
We have a 2017 3011 with tv in front quarters, rear bedroom, and outside entertainment center. What is everyone doing to have the ability to watch different programs on all 3 tv's at the same time?
If OTA, should work independently.

If Direct use a Genie and wireless remotes.........up to four will work. Bring from home or establish separate account. DISH uses the Hopper system to do similar.

Me, I just married a Cardinal fan, so we always watch the same TV! LOL After one year, it dawned on me that I have yet to even turn on the bedroom tv.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

took a trip last summer with a junior high age granddaughter and 4 of her girl friends. the TV's got a workout! how much Disney channel can they watch? doing it again when school gets out this summer. wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
If OTA, should work independently.

If Direct use a Genie and wireless remotes.........up to four will work. Bring from home or establish separate account. DISH uses the Hopper system to do similar.
I guess I'm an old "non-hopper" Dish user - I didn't know that there were any Hopper compatible RV roof mounted dishes available. I know Direct has the same thing - but didn't know any were RV compatible.

The last time I checked with Dish - the Hopper wasn't compatible with RVs and RVs satellite dishes.

Guess I'm a tick behind the times and need to do some more checking. We have a fairly new roof mounted auto seeking dish on our Forester, but it has only one LNB and can't focus on two SATs at the same time. There are two outputs, but each one would have to have it's own Sat Receiver.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

I'm not a DISH man, so not sure about them. But I do know that one of the little known deals differentiating DISH from Direct is that DISH has three satellites that are further apart than the 3 that Direct uses. Thus, to change channels requiring a different satellite, the physical dish has to move. That's how the Tailgater and Pathway both work, I had one.

The Direct dish, at least the one I have.......points once in one direction, and picks up all 3 satellites from that one position. That's why it's harder to point initially, but it doesn't move to change channels to any on those 3 satellites.

Which dish, and which LNB you have, also matter.

This guy helped me out on the phone, a LOT. I went from zero to some-knowledge in only THREE years! LOL

All Products

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'm not a DISH man, so not sure about them. But I do know that one of the little known deals differentiating DISH from Direct is that DISH has three satellites that are further apart than the 3 that Direct uses. Thus, to change channels requiring a different satellite, the physical dish has to move. That's how the Tailgater and Pathway both work, I had one.
I have both a Wingard Carryout automatic dish and a newer Wingard Pathway X1 roof mount. The Carryout is a larger dish, requires a separate 12v supply to operate and can point to all three SATs at the same time. So channel changes don't require the dish inside to move. The X1 is about 1/2 the size and is mounted on the roof of the RV. It doesn't need a separate 12v supply but it does move between SATs as you change channels.

I use the roof-mounted X1 whenever possible, which is most of the time. When there are too many trees, etc I pull out the Carryout and set it up away from the RV.

But I'm 99% sure that neither work with the Hopper.

The 4 times more expensive Wingard Trav'ler would be needed to watch different programming on 3-TVs. But at $1200 plus an expensive installation we live with the same programming on each TV. We do have a Roku in the Bedroom so we stream TV in there quite a bit. And, we use a Dish Wally Receiver in the Living room. It has both Netflicks streaming and a RF remote that works both anywhere inside the RV and outside too.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Give dish tech a call 800-970-7959. Ask about the new wireless Joeys that are used with the new hoppers. My understanding is the Wineguard 2 satellite is a good choice too.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

I just did some checking and out of Wingard's Sat Dishes only the Trav'ler is Hopper compatible. It's $1,200 and would be something I'd pay to have installed.

I have a feeling that we're going to be moving more and more to streaming our TV both on the RV and at home.

We're looking at moving to a Class A - if we do I'll have to make that decision then.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
clr

Streaming video via the internet is not an option in many campgrounds. The WiFi is to slow to operate properly and many flat out block video streaming. So a dish of some sort is still a very good idea for some time to come. I take a couple of my Genie box's from home to use on the road. I have not taken three but that would be easy to do also.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #12

We user our Verizon hotspot for streaming. The new Verizon plan gives you 10 gigs of monthly streaming on a hotspot - and up to 22 gigs on a phono. We can chromecast the video from the phone to our TVs via a Google Chromecast device. Or even get an phone to HDMI cable and stream to the TV that way.

Plus we have a Wifi Ranger Elite setup in the RV for accessing wifi and a Weboost 4gx cell signal booster.

It's not perfect, especially for long trips. But for a week or shorter all of that works great. You just have to be in a place that has good 4g cell service.

PS. We spend a month in Tucson each January at the Lazy Days KOA. They have your standard bad wifi, but if you pay $30 for a month you get upgraded wifi that is perfect for streaming. It worked great. I've seen a few other places doing that lately, too.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #13

A lot a great info here. Thanks for the help. I have Dish at home and I was not really up to speed on the 'Joey' setups. I will contact Dish and get a little more educated.
Thanks
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #14

We have Dish with 2 VIP receivers and a Pathway X2 Sat. Antenna. When it works it's great however about 1/2 of the time not so much. The Tvs are both hard wired to the Pathway X2. It has 2 ports, a primary and secondary. Primary line always holds signal and secondary not so much. After spending hours with Dish troubleshooting the secondary line they gave up and said they do not support the secondary line and I would have to contact Winegard. Very frustrating. I have not contacted Winegard yet.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite