Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

Schwintek slide question

I know there are many posts out there now from the last several years of slides being stuck out because of the schwintek slide issues. Im most interested in issues/experiences from 2017 and 2018 models. We had a prime time tracer that had the bunkhouse slide stuck out and stranded us twice in the first year. We took it straight back to the dealership and traded it for a keystone cougar fifth wheel that had 2 slides but neither was schwintek and both could be manually cranked in, if needed, without taking half the slide Apart which I had to do in the tracer. Long story short, we said we would never get another schwintek again. Here we are, 2 years later, and really like the Forster 3251 le class c, but they bunk slide has a Schwintek again. Just yesterday in a Facebook group, I saw someone with a forest river class c full length slide get stuck out when they brought it home from the dealer.

Dealerships keep telling me that the schwintek slide issues have been resolved and it is not the same product that was in the campers in previous years. Now I am second guessing our idea of going with the Forester. Can you all let me know your experiences with schwintek in The Forester? We have two boys so really want a bunk model with full bed in the back. I’ve seen very few slides now that are not the in wall schwintek.

Also, what steps do you take to keep the schwinteks working properly (lubricate, cleaning, maintenance?)?
Mwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #2

I had three in a DP and for four years they were flawless in operation. I lined the slide racks on each deployment. Locate the motors in wall for quick emergency removal. Locate the control boards 1/slide and learn its features. Schwintek carries more hype than deserved. “Rolls you dice, and takes yo chances” I had good luck, hope you do too.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I had three in a DP and for four years they were flawless in operation. I lined the slide racks on each deployment. Locate the motors in wall for quick emergency removal. Locate the control boards 1/slide and learn its features. Schwintek carries more hype than deserved. “Rolls you dice, and takes yo chances” I had good luck, hope you do too.

Thanks for the tip! I definitely don’t want to be stranded like we were with our other camper. If we get it, I want to make sure we do all of the steps to avoid issues. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Always Learning

For Schwinteks- always hold the switch an extra 10 seconds. Lube them religiously. And consider adding aluminum under the bottom of the slides where the rollers go.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

Schwintek slide question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For Schwinteks- always hold the switch an extra 10 seconds. Lube them religiously. And consider adding aluminum under the bottom of the slides where the rollers go.

Thanks! When you say add aluminum under the bottom of the slides where the rollers go, so you mean aluminum tape or what do you mean? Also what do you recommend for lunrication? Silicone spray? Wd40? Thank you!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

I have cycled my four slides 50+ times

without issues. None are very large. The rear bed slide travels about 3 feet. Maybe I have been lucky.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #7

Schwintek slide question

Add us to the list.... 2017 MB’s 2401W. Live in Washington, stuck in California for 6 hours until slide finally decided to go in this past summer. We STILL do not know exactly what to do if it won’t come back in??? A dealer in our area told us to pull a wire out of the module for 3 minutes and then plug back in?? I can not understand why there is not a clear/simple manual procedure for this kind of problem, but we will ALWAYS worry about it now = takes some of our enjoyment away each time we go.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Add us to the list.... 2017 MB’s 2401W. Live in Washington, stuck in California for 6 hours until slide finally decided to go in this past summer. We STILL do not know exactly what to do if it won’t come back in??? A dealer in our area told us to pull a wire out of the module for 3 minutes and then plug back in?? I can not understand why there is not a clear/simple manual procedure for this kind of problem, but we will ALWAYS worry about it now = takes some of our enjoyment away each time we go.
Have you watched the Schwintec troubleshooting video?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #9
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

6 years with them and they have operated flawless. One thing to remember is once you start moving them, complete the cycle before you let off the switch, do not stop them part way out or in, they could get out of sync. Here is a video of what you need to do if the slide will not come in, you will probably need more that 1 person to do it.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
6 years with them and they have operated flawless. One thing to remember is once you start moving them, complete the cycle before you let off the switch, do not stop them part way out or in, they could get out of sync. Here is a video of what you need to do if the slide will not come in, you will probably need more that 1 person to do it.

Thanks! That looks like all the steps we did. It’s crazy that there isn’t an easier way but I guess that is the price for more space or so they would tell us.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
Thanks! When you say add aluminum under the bottom of the slides where the rollers go, so you mean aluminum tape or what do you mean? Also what do you recommend for lunrication? Silicone spray? Wd40? Thank you!
Actual aluminum- maybe 6-8" wide and I think they said 1/16" thick, but I don't wholly remember that spec.

Here are pictures of the lube and aluminum runners:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ll=1&text=lube

For lube, there is a special lube that Lippert recommends. I found it on Amazon, I think. Here's their video on it:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #12

LOL, well, I've watched the video now!! But, that slide isn't exactly the same as ours, but I guess they are both Schwintech? Here is a pic of ours, and yes, this is how we picked it up from the dealer back in Michigan before driving home to Washington State - basically we were told they did not have the means take care of the problem back there. (I have other pics of the back end of the slide sticking out 1 1/2 inches at the dealer!!!

However, when we got home to Washington, our local dealer did adjust the slide and we had ZERO issues with it for a year, until we were down in California.

We were told by our local dealer never to stop until it's all the way out or all the way in, and they suggested we spray wall slide every 3-4 times we take it in, which we do.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
LOL, well, I've watched the video now!! But, that slide isn't exactly the same as ours, but I guess they are both Schwintech? Here is a pic of ours, and yes, this is how we picked it up from the dealer back in Michigan before driving home to Washington State - basically we were told they did not have the means take care of the problem back there. (I have other pics of the back end of the slide sticking out 1 1/2 inches at the dealer!!!

However, when we got home to Washington, our local dealer did adjust the slide and we had ZERO issues with it for a year, until we were down in California.

We were told by our local dealer never to stop until it's all the way out or all the way in, and they suggested we spray wall slide every 3-4 times we take it in, which we do.
Based on the picture, I think you have a Power Gear SlimRack slideout by Lippert:
https://www.lci1.com/power-gear-slim-rack

https://www.lci1.com/power-gear-slid...ide-out-system
Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #14
Site Team

Yep, doesn't look anything like a Schwintek slide.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #15

We have been told by everyone we've dealt with (including the dealer where we bought it) that it was a Schwintech, but it is exactly like the link you posted, so I guess that is what it is!!!

Maybe someone has a trouble shooting video for THAT kind of slide!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #16

We just bought a 2018 Forester 3011 ds. I was loading it and tried to put the bedroom slide out today and it wouldn't budge. It was very cold out so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Will try again in a few days when it warms up and will check to see if the parking brake is set. If it won't, it will be back to the dealership. They had to order parts for the awning as it will not retract. This is a new rig. grrr. Also, when you lube your slides, do you use dry silicone? That's what I used on our Lexington and never had a problem with the 3 slides on it.
Sherol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

The pictured slide is not a schwintec. Rumor has it that it is better because the track can flex with the side to side movement of the slide. Both are now Lippert products so you can get the LCI free App and have access to all of the pubs and videos.
As for lube, Schwintec call for CRC Power Lube with PTFE. Only the gear blocks get lubed, not the track. Keep the track clean and IF the slide frame was installed correctly, it will work well.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #18

Apologies for busting in here when I don't have a Forester but I do have a 5er with Schwintec slides. During the summer of last year, I took my rig to a service location near the factory and was told that Schwintec recommend this lubricant for their slides. Available through Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industria...lube+with+ptfe

Orvan (Armish Family RV) also recommended some slide edge strips that wrap under the bottom of the slide and allow the rollers to roll on to them. It apparently prevents water from wrapping under the slid, causing the slide floor to expand and damaging the mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	162288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	162290  

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

We have the Schwintek Slide system on our 2018 Freelander 31BH. During my at-home inspection following delivery, I noted one of the four bottom rollers was not seated properly and was gouging the bottom of the slide, and another roller was not in contact with the bottom of the slide. My dealer acknowledged the slideout was not installed correctly and made the necessary adjustments to the rollers, which required some significant effort to correct. We're now waiting on Coachmen to ship a replacement fiberglass slide bottom and hoping to get that installed within the next couple weeks. The jury's still out on the actual performance of the Schwintek system. Though, I already miss my HWH hydraulic slide on my old 2000 Coachmen Santara. That was a very reliable system and never short on power. I appreciate the maintenance advice in this thread and will be sure to follow it once I get my slide fully operational.
Attached Files

Old MH - 2000 Coachmen Santara 292SO
New MH - 2018 Coachmen Freelander 31BH
Bodiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #20

We have two friends that own rigs with schwintek slides. One a few years old, one is a '17. Both have problems with them all the time. We always end up helping one or the other get their slides back in, and then their rig is back to the shop for several weeks.

Slides are problematic enough by themselves, why compound it with schwinteks added maint and inherent problems?

We are starting the process of looking for a new fiver, and it will NOT have this type of slide.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide