Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #1

Schwintek slide trim screws backing out

Second post of the day! We just got back from a wonderful 10 day family road trip. The passenger slide on my 3251 forester bottom corner screws are backing out and the bracket is coming away from the wall. I have tightened these same screws before and they are backing out. I found a forum here talking about a similar situation with with the Georgetown models. I wanted to see what people with class C's have done to fix. I am hoping this may be a fairly common issue and fix. i have some pics of it with the slide closed as my driveway is not level to extend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	261068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	261069  
Old 08-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Frame for Schwintek

This has been discussed here in this forum as well. Responses include suggestions from Kary Katzenberger at FR. Basically you need to check for reinforcing plates on the inside that connect the slide frame to the coach frame. If they are not present you will need to add them and either screw them in or bolt them in from the outside in. Here is what a screw in plate looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79A24861-682B-4474-BB0A-A682BDF0943F.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	261070  
Old 08-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

My 3252 did the same thing on the bunk slide. FR told the dealer to remove most of the screw going up the slide and use large expanding rivets. These are the ones that have the three arms that extend out when installed. Been there a year and no further issues. I am curious about the plates b ut don't know how anyone other than a shop would install them on that slide. Each end is jammed up against a wall and there is no way to get back there. Yo cannot even lube the slide from inside per the Schwintek recommendation.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #4

Ducky, Yes I have the plate installed at least on the aft of the slide inside wall and its near the top. I cant tell if it has it in the fore due to not being able to see. hunter99 I did reach out to FR today just to see what they say, I am a month outside of warranty and maybe they will cover it. If not I will have to get creative and attempt to repair with additional brackets like the picture that Duckogram posted, or using rivets. either way it doesn't look like a fun repair to do.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #5

Rivets aren't bad, you just have to get the correct ones. The brakes, ugh. I will say that Forest River has been good about helping out even when unit is out of warranty. Hopefully they will provide an assist.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Have Camera will Travel

The bottom screw on the outside trim has broken on mine. I'm going to look at replacing with a larger diameter screw in close proximity to the original one.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #7

I've been looking into the rivet idea hunter mentioned. This may be a great long term solution in leu of bolt and nut or larger screw. They make a specific type of blind rivets that shouldn't damage the fiberglass when they are installed. Hunter, did you use special rivets?
Old 08-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeguy010 View Post
I've been looking into the rivet idea hunter mentioned. This may be a great long term solution in leu of bolt and nut or larger screw. They make a specific type of blind rivets that shouldn't damage the fiberglass when they are installed. Hunter, did you use special rivets?
That may not be a bad idea. The “special” rivets you seek are called “Oscar” rivets.

To revisit the reinforcing plates: There should be two on each side. You need to look specifically for the screw heads to still be intact. Enough movement of the frame will (not can) shear them off.

Bigger screws: That can work as well. You need to be aware of galvanic reaction issues and also understand that there is a shaft in the H channel that connects the motor to the top and bottom gear blocks. Putting a screw (or bolt) through the frame and into the shaft will ruin your day.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
That may not be a bad idea. The “special” rivets you seek are called “Oscar” rivets.

To revisit the reinforcing plates: There should be two on each side. You need to look specifically for the screw heads to still be intact. Enough movement of the frame will (not can) shear them off.

Bigger screws: That can work as well. You need to be aware of galvanic reaction issues and also understand that there is a shaft in the H channel that connects the motor to the top and bottom gear blocks. Putting a screw (or bolt) through the frame and into the shaft will ruin your day.

There is not two on each side that I can see. The side that is failing only has one plate near the top corner and nothing near the bottom. Duckogram thanks for the additional info!
Old 08-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #10

Duckogram, your earlier post about the brackets turned out to be a golden nugget. I spoke with FR further about it and turns out like you mentioned there should be a bracket on the top and bottom of each slide wall on the interior side. They have agreed to fix and repair and will cover the cost. I appreciate your incite on this!

John
Old 08-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

That is a good outcome. Happy to hear that.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Great news!!!
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3251, class c, forester, lippert, schwintek, screw loose, slide